Tuesday Favorites… Best Florida City/Town

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
every summer in the 70’s a couple of families from Tallahassee would spend a week in Mexico beach. (including the summer when ‘Jaws’ came out and no one would get more than ankle deep :)
I believe we would always try and stay at The Governor’s Inn or at least close by it.

we would also head over to Miracle Strip and Petticoat Junction with the pay one price wristbands. and- a nice dinner at Capt Andersons.

And- I seem to recall a really old run down mini-golf/arcade in Mexico beach- and we’re talking REALLY run down in the 70’s. I remember it was pretty ghetto but can’t remember what it was called.

Similar memories as a kid. We took the kids to eat at the pirate ship the year before it burned down.

Went back to Capt Anderson’s as an adult and realized what a tourist trap it was. Nice atmosphere but the food was mediocre. They just herd people through like cattle during the busy season.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And- I seem to recall a really old run down mini-golf/arcade in Mexico beach- and we’re talking REALLY run down in the 70’s. I remember it was pretty ghetto…
I remember the place, but the name escapes me. When I was just out of high school, a bunch of us boys would go down and stay at the Surf Side, which was half dump, half low rent rendezvous. Across 98 was the old MB Grocery and an old service station that you could buy draft beer for $2 a gallon if you had an old milk jug. It’s a wonder we all didn’t get run over making beer runs. Those were the days…of my misspent youth!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Similar memories as a kid. We took the kids to eat at the pirate ship the year before it burned down.
Went back to Capt Anderson’s as an adult and realized what a tourist trap it was. Nice atmosphere but the food was mediocre. They just herd people through like cattle during the busy season.
A buddy and I went to the Treasure Ship and saw the original Drifters sometime in the early 80’s. They were good, but old as the hills. They put me in mind of the skeleton band playing in the Dead video “Touch of Gray!” We stayed away from Capt. Anderson’s for the reasons you mentioned. There was a place on 77 N at the bridge that was locally owned that was a seafood go-to when we were in PC.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
A buddy and I went to the Treasure Ship and saw the original Drifters sometime in the early 80’s. They were good, but old as the hills. They put me in mind of the skeleton band playing in the Dead video “Touch of Gray!” We stayed away from Capt. Anderson’s for the reasons you mentioned. There was a place on 77 N at the bridge that was locally owned that was a seafood go-to when we were in PC.

(Yes, Treasure Ship - not pirate)
Is the place on 77 a current restaurant?
Boondocks? Dad loves that place. Maybe we hit it on a bad night. Didn’t love it. Our favorite is Dee’s Hangout.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is it a current restaurant?
Boondocks? Dad loves that place. Maybe we hit it on a bad night. Didn’t love it. Our favorite is Dee’s Hangout.
I don’t think it was Boondocks back then. Seems like it was a person’s name. I just can’t remember. Another local joint we would frequent was Billy’s Oyster Bar on Thomas Drive. First place I ever saw wallpapered with dollar bills. Food was pretty good as I recall.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I don’t think it was Boondocks back then. Seems like it was a person’s name. I just can’t remember. Another local joint we would frequent was Billy’s Oyster Bar on Thomas Drive. First place I ever saw wallpapered with dollar bills. Food was pretty good as I recall.

We’ve been to Billy’s several times and liked it. Dee’s moved into a larger building and expanded. It’s not quite as good as when it was smaller. Seems to happen to a lot of places.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I dated a girl that was friends with the family that owned it so was taken there a few times. I thought the food was good, but what stood out to me was that gift shop at the front. It was nothing but Alabama, Aub, uga and fsu garbage, and this was during the early-mid 2000's. I can only imagine it now. In general, I thought PCB was garbage. If I'm driving that far, I'm going to Destin.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I dated a girl that was friends with the family that owned it so was taken there a few times. I thought the food was good, but what stood out to me was that gift shop at the front. It was nothing but Alabama, Aub, uga and fsu garbage, and this was during the early-mid 2000's. I can only imagine it now. In general, I thought PCB was garbage. If I'm driving that far, I'm going to Destin.

PCB has made a lot of improvements in the last 10 years. They tried to make it more family friendly and less like Daytona. Tore down a lot of motels and mom and pop places. Improved hotels and sidewalks tremendously. I'm not trying to solicit business for PCB because it's still the Redneck Riviera but they have made some great improvements. Dad bought a condo there years ago so we've always gone for spring break because it's a free trip. Grateful because it's free but would rather be somewhere else, tbh.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My favorite "spot" in the entire state is Cape San Blas. I dont know if you can call it a town though. Port St Joe and Apalachicola would be the closest towns. Now I like rural. But even those surrounding communities are a little too "rural" for my liking.

I love to visit so many locations in Florida for such a variety of reasons. The great thing is that nearly every location is a fun weekend trip.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Surprised no one has mentioned Immokalee.

When BMF was talking about looking for a place here in Florida, I mentioned Immokalee and googled some pics to share. There’s literally not one picture that isn’t some half torn down trailer disaster. Most areas, even the bad ones, have a handful of ok spots or some charming staged shots to improve the feel. Not Immokalee. It’s quite amazing how thoroughly bad that place is.

Swampy!

Aug 3, 2018
(Yes, Treasure Ship - not pirate)
Is the place on 77 a current restaurant?
Boon Dock's is on 79 pretty much right under the West Bay Bridge.

Swampy!

Aug 3, 2018
Are you sure you aren't talking about J. Michael's Cover?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are you sure you aren't talking about J. Michael's Cover?
Not sure Swampy. It has been several years since going to the place I referenced and I remember it as kind of a mom and pop place, but the seafood was really good and plentiful. I might even have the rd # wrong!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure Swampy. It has been several years since going to the place I referenced and I remember it as kind of a mom and pop place, but the seafood was really good and plentiful. I might even have the rd # wrong!
J Michaels is also on thomas dr and always been J Michaels. Boondocks is at the base of the west bay bridge on the intercoastal off of Hwy 79 (not 77) and has always been boondocks.

If you want oysters, its either Dusty's on front beach just west of pier park, or the world famous dive bar Hunts. Hunts is a national treasure.

As far as the treasure ship, it burned down when I was in college and was torn down and the parking lot for the marina it sat next to was simply enlarged. Very sad, was a very cool place. I took a dream girl there prior to winter formal my junior year. Unfortunately I screwed that up. She was such a 15 out of 10 that it was like I didn't believe it was happening even though she asked me and made it very clear that evening that she was interested in a relationship. It was like I was living in a dream and it wasnt real. Ya know what, on second thought, screw the treasure ship :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks @Durty South Swamp . The place I’m thinking about must be the J Michael’s referenced, though I really can’t recall the name. I have heard of Hunt’s, but never been. Think Goon might have mentioned it once before.

Sorry you have bad memories of the Treasure Ship. It was as you say a neat place. Man if we could all just turn back the clock and correct our youthful screwups. But who knows whether the dream girl might now be a 300 lb-er selling boiled peanuts on the side of the road in Ebro? Life doesn’t have a reverse gear for a reason I suppose :)

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks @Durty South Swamp . The place I’m thinking about must be the J Michael’s referenced, though I really can’t recall the name. I have heard of Hunt’s, but never been. Think Goon might have mentioned it once before.

Sorry you have bad memories of the Treasure Ship. It was as you say a neat place. Man if we could all just turn back the clock and correct our youthful screwups. But who knows whether the dream girl might now be a 300 lb-er selling boiled peanuts on the side of the road in Ebro? Life doesn’t have a reverse gear for a reason I suppose :)
Nah, i actually have nothing but wonderful memories of the treasure ship. Get nostalgic every time i pass by the marina. J Michaels is alright, but its nothing to write home about. Boondocks is really good.

As far as dream girl is concerned, she only got better. She came from big money - parents had a home on beach drive, city street is named after her mom, dad owns half the town. I bumped into her about 8 years ago in a restaurant, about 1 year prior to meeting my wife. She was still spectacular, but now with a law degree and a water front home in coral gables. She was home for the holidays. My buddy and I chilled with her for about an hour and while we all had a good time, it was very clear that my window of opportunity had closed long ago :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator