Tuesday Favorites… comedian or comedic actor

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Recency bias is a thing, so I'll do a continuum going back to my youth.

Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Robin Williams, Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Ricky Gervais, Kevin Hart.

Alex.

Not sure Kevin Hart belongs in that company.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure Kevin Hart belongs in that company.
iu

Alex.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
For outright raunchy stand up, It's Ron White.
His stories and the buildup to the final joke are hilarious.
Anyone that's listened to him over the years would recognize his Dog, wife and brother in law musings.
Plus, the story about being on Dr. Phils boat in Monaco is gold.

Nate Bergaze, another great story teller and, he's clean. Very funny.

I do find a lot of joy in watching anything on "Dry Bar Comedy".
Clean standup.

I'm plenty old enough to remember some of the legends. Tim Conway paired with Carol Burnette was very funny.
Carlin, Richard Prior, Red Foxx, and especially, Rodney Dangerfield.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Look up some of Mitch Hedberg's stuff - one of those "died too young" of an overdose, but he must have inspired Stephen Wright.

I find Bill Burr hilarious, as I do Ricky Gervais.

Old school Don Rickles was genius. I don't know that I've seen Richard Pryor listed.

Betty White had the best comedic timing of any woman and most men, but I struggle with women comedians. I even looked at a list, and there are a few that I've laughed at, but I can't really say that any jumped out. What little I've seen of Wanda Sykes I thought was funny. I think Carol Burnette was ground-breaking, as was Lucille Ball, but I can't say that either was tears in your eyes funny. I think Tina Fey is pretty good I guess, but haven't seen her in do standup.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Wow this is tough…

Current comedians/comedic actors in no particular order:
Bill Burr
Sebastian Maniscalco
Seinfeld
Tim Allen
Jason Bateman

All time:
Robin Williams
Norm McDonald
Don Rickles
Rodney Dangerfield
Foster Brooks (best drunk impersonation I’ve ever seen)
Tim Conway

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Look up some of Mitch Hedberg's stuff - one of those "died too young" of an overdose, but he must have inspired Stephen Wright.

I find Bill Burr hilarious, as I do Ricky Gervais.

Old school Don Rickles was genius. I don't know that I've seen Richard Pryor listed.

Betty White had the best comedic timing of any woman and most men, but I struggle with women comedians. I even looked at a list, and there are a few that I've laughed at, but I can't really say that any jumped out. What little I've seen of Wanda Sykes I thought was funny. I think Carol Burnette was ground-breaking, as was Lucille Ball, but I can't say that either was tears in your eyes funny. I think Tina Fey is pretty good I guess, but haven't seen her in do standup.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
We always try to end the day with a few laughs…so this might be a Seinfeld episode. Lately, it’s Gutfeld. Greg himself has great comedic timing, and always has guests (who have their own stand-up careers) that can play off the central themes; Jamie Lissow, Joe Machi, Tom Shillue, Jimmy Failla, and Joe Devito (“when I die I’d like to be scattered over New York City—and no, I don’t want to be cremated first!)

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Jonathan Winters, Jerry Clower, George Carlin, Jerry Lewis, Buddy Hackett, Larry The Cable Guy, Dana Carvey

Another who made my ribs hurt was Richard Belzer, back in the late 80s. He was spot on with Ronald Reagan impersonations.
I met Larry The Cable Guy many times, mostly with WDIZ's Baxter & Mark as he was becoming really famous. After not seeing him for many years I randomly bumped into Larry at the Daytona 500 and was able to chat for a minute. That was such a surprise it really made my day.

The most popular new comedian now is Matt Rife. His entire tour is sold out. He is as quick witted as I've ever seen, and interacts with his audience a lot. Destroys hecklers every time.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Glad this thread got brought back up. Not much better than good comedy. Always loved Pryor, Dangerfield, Rickles and a bunch of the old guys. Chappelle’s show was hilarious. Some of the best sorta recent comedy was Louis CK and Ricky Gervais. I also enjoyed Leno until he stayed on the Tonight Show too long.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Glad this thread got brought back up. Not much better than good comedy. Always loved Pryor, Dangerfield, Rickles and a bunch of the old guys. Chappelle’s show was hilarious. Some of the best sorta recent comedy was Louis CK and Ricky Gervais. I also enjoyed Leno until he stayed on the Tonight Show too long.

One of my customers used to work with Louis CK’s mom. Apparently she was a very gifted IT executive. He said she would always complain about her son smoking weed and getting into trouble.

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
Surprised that no one mentioned Red Skelton. He would have you rolling on the floor laughing your a$$ off. And his comedy was clean, which you don’t see too much of anymore. It could be that most of you came along after his time. You really missed a great comedian.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Focusing on comedians, not skit artists (Monty Python, Benny Hill, Flight of the Concords). Growing up, started with Red Skelton and some British guy that had his own show always smoking a cigar and missing part of his finger.

In my youth, I caught some Richard Pryor, but Robin Williams was the zenith. Eddie Murphy with Raw and Delierious were top form of their era (need to go back and rewatch those). Retro learned about George Carlin and Stephen Wright.

Along the way, saw Brian Regan on HBO and later some Eddie Izzard specials. Was fortunate to catch Regan still touring smaller venues recently. Debating going to an Izzard remix tour coming later this year - I'll probably have to get the wife to watch the specials to see if she'd be willing to go with me.

Top 3 all time:
1. George Carlin
2. Stephen Wright
3. Robin Williams

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Surprised that no one mentioned Red Skelton. He would have you rolling on the floor laughing your a$$ off. And his comedy was clean, which you don’t see too much of anymore. It could be that most of you came along after his time. You really missed a great comedian.
I used to watch his weekly show. His monologs were epic.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We always try to end the day with a few laughs…so this might be a Seinfeld episode. Lately, it’s Gutfeld. Greg himself has great comedic timing, and always has guests (who have their own stand-up careers) that can play off the central themes; Jamie Lissow, Joe Machi, Tom Shillue, Jimmy Failla, and Joe Devito (“when I die I’d like to be scattered over New York City—and no, I don’t want to be cremated first!)

This is also why Gutfeld continues during the writers strike.
All of his staff of writers are stand ups versus members of SAG so they continue every week night without competition.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I used to watch his weekly show. His monologs were epic.

I didn’t remember this but later in life my parents told me that when we were watching Red do his Pledge of Allegiance speech, I started balling near the end. :cry2:They said I was about four years old.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Seinfeld will always be tops for me and did get to see him live once and it was AWESOME!

Wifey and I have really gotten into watching comedy specials now and our favorites currently

Nate Bargatze I have seen live twice and all of his specials are fantastic
Bill Burr’s live at Red Rocks might be my favorite special of all time…just absolute fire
Shane Gillis isn’t well known but first heard of him on Joe Rogan’s Protect our Parks podcast that is just fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator