Tuesday Favorites….Flooring

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Good Lord, I’m running out of favorite things to discuss.

It’s now come to flooring. :headslap:

What’s your favorite flooring type for:
-Common areas
-Bedroom
-Bathroom

Bonus points for even replying. :lol:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Shag carpet. Mint green like my grandparents old house.

I actually want carpet in the bedrooms. Keeps the bed from constantly moving after it rocks.

All jokes aside people that have carpet in their bathrooms are psychopaths.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We had blue shag carpet in the house growing up. Not that I'm that old but it was way past its prime and never got replaced in the guest bedroom.

There were tile floors in all the bathrooms but mom felt the need to lay down wall to wall bathmat carpet for some reason. Always thought that was strange. Carpet does not belong in a bathroom, imo!

I like carpet in the bedrooms and hardwood floors in common areas.

I'll never forget visiting my aunt and she had the plastic runners down through the house on the carpet. :lol:

1659450997089.png

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We had blue shag carpet in the house growing up. Not that I'm that old but it was way past its prime and never got replaced in the guest bedroom.

There were tile floors in all the bathrooms but mom felt the need to lay down wall to wall bathmat carpet for some reason. Always thought that was strange. Carpet does not belong in a bathroom, imo!

I like carpet in the bedrooms and hardwood floors in common areas.

I'll never forget visiting my aunt and she had the plastic runners down through the house on the carpet. :lol:

View attachment 46665

Worked at a firm when I was just starting out that had big squares of that for your chair to roll on. They required 60-70+ hours for new brokers, and there were nights I slept there, especially if I’d had drinks out on a break. Anyway, I discovered that rolling that back exposed clean, soft, never stepped on carpet that was perfect to curl up and sleep on. In that moment, it was the best. :lol:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Good Lord, I’m running out of favorite things to discuss.

It’s now come to flooring. :headslap:

What’s your favorite flooring type for:
-Common areas
-Bedroom
-Bathroom

Bonus points for even replying. :lol:
Hardwoods with throw rugs. (Spent waaaay to many years in the Middle East and have more rugs than floor space.)

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Worked at a firm when I was just starting out that had big squares of that for your chair to roll on. They required 60-70+ hours for new brokers, and there were nights I slept there, especially if I’d had drinks out on a break. Anyway, I discovered that rolling that back exposed clean, soft, never stepped on carpet that was perfect to curl up and sleep on. In that moment, it was the best. :lol:

For the first 15 years of our new hardwood floors we had the plastic mat down for the rolling chairs. It caused discoloration to the floor under the mat, especially if debris was under it. Then we discovered these amazing caster wheels specifically designed for hardwood floors.

1659459477204.png

@Seedy agrees that you can sleep on the floor under the desk :lol:
He also thinks these photos are really funny and enjoys me posting them.:backout:

seedy.jpg

Last edited:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Hardwood floors throughout except for the bathroom. Tile goes there.

Just can't get Mrs. Nalt onboard with the hardwood floors. I absolutely HATE carpet. It is nasty. It tends to aggravate any allergies too. At least with throw rugs you can take it outside and beat the dirt and other things out of it... The thing that I've never understood is why would people put white carpeting throughout their homes. :crazy:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Concrete. My sister ripped the carpet out of the house and just left bare concrete floors. Says she's not getting carpet until the kids move out. Not much different than terrazzo floors.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Concrete. My sister ripped the carpet out of the house and just left bare concrete floors. Says she's not getting carpet until the kids move out. Not much different than terrazzo floors.

They can do some amazing works of art with concrete flooring now. Our nephew builds houses and he actually did one with concrete counters, sinks, and showers. Odd but it worked in that style home.

The colors are terrific, especially in a basement or area where it might flood.

1659461603434.png

1659461666477.png

1659461703740.png

Wood stamped

1659461797518.png

1659462053915.png

A lot of garages are doing these paint chips now

1659462133804.png

Last edited:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
No carpet ever. Area rugs over tile or hardwood. The house I grew up in had tongue and groove oak flooring that I loved. Doubt if you can even buy it now. We have tile wall to wall. Unfortunately the builder did a horrible job installing it 20 years ago and the grout is crumbling and the thin set is giving way. An expensive fix in the offing. I want to try some of the new engineered lumber flooring (because, engineered) but have no idea where to start. We have in slab radiant heat so whatever we choose news to be compatible. (How many points for responding?)

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
No carpet ever. Area rugs over tile or hardwood. The house I grew up in had tongue and groove oak flooring that I loved. Doubt if you can even buy it now. We have tile wall to wall. Unfortunately the builder did a horrible job installing it 20 years ago and the grout is crumbling and the thin set is giving way. An expensive fix in the offing. I want to try some of the new engineered lumber flooring (because, engineered) but have no idea where to start. We have in slab radiant heat so whatever we choose news to be compatible. (How many points for responding?)

1,000 internet points and I've noted your preferences in my database of posters' favorite things.

We just did heated floors in our new bathroom remodel. I can't wait until winter to try it out. Did you use them much?

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
1,000 internet points and I've noted your preferences in my database of posters' favorite things.

We just did heated floors in our new bathroom remodel. I can't wait until winter to try it out. Did you use them much?
That's the only heat we have, so yes, all winter. My wife doesn't care for them because the radiant heat is not responsive. The whole slab has to change temp and it takes 4 hours or so. The new systems have zones for a in wall blower for more response. I think the electric under tile heaters for bathrooms are a great idea. Coupled with a towel warmer and that would be winter luxury.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
That's the only heat we have, so yes, all winter. My wife doesn't care for them because the radiant heat is not responsive. The whole slab has to change temp and it takes 4 hours or so. The new systems have zones for a in wall blower for more response. I think the electric under tile heaters for bathrooms are a great idea. Coupled with a towel warmer and that would be winter luxury.
Brrr, what are the winter temps in Alburque, Albuqueque... New Mexico?

Seedy put down 20x20 tile so I snuck the heated floors into the plans when he wasn't looking. It wasn't a small task to do it. Bless his heart. :lol:
I put an electric fireplace in the bathroom too. The floors work with a timer and an app so I can program it.

1659464922031.png

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Brrr, what are the winter temps in Alburque, Albuqueque... New Mexico?

Seedy put down 20x20 tile so I snuck the heated floors into the plans when he wasn't looking. It wasn't a small task to do it. Bless his heart. :lol:
I put an electric fireplace in the bathroom too. The floors work with a timer and an app so I can program it.

View attachment 46685
We live at 7400' so the winters get cold. The lowest we've recorded is -27. Generally the lows are in the teens and 20s and the highs hover around freezing. That's a major reason we are looking to move back to God's country. The propane bill is about 650 a month from December through March. And then zero the rest of the year. On the the up side, we use the AC less than 3 weeks a year.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Hopefully she left the tack strips in various locations. That will also teach those kids a lesson.

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
For the first 15 years of our new hardwood floors we had the plastic mat down for the rolling chairs. It caused discoloration to the floor under the mat, especially if debris was under it. Then we discovered these amazing caster wheels specifically designed for hardwood floors.

View attachment 46675

@Seedy agrees that you can sleep on the floor under the desk :lol:
He also thinks these photos are really funny and enjoys me posting them.:backout:

View attachment 46674

Oh FFS

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.