Tuesday Favorites….glasses/sunglasses

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Do you have a favorite brand of sunglasses or do you just buy the cheapest off the shelf at Walmart? How often do you replace your glasses?

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I don't spend a lot on sunglasses. In fact, I bought about 5 or 6 pair from WalMart a few months ago for $5 each because I like the style. I replace them when the pair I am currently wearing break. My main concern is that they are polarized.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I started with Ray Ban aviators when I used to climb ladders and telephone poles because they didn't slip off from sweat. Also had Oakley, Maui Jim, and recently Shady Rays reader sunglasses because I'm getting old. I buy indoor reading glasses at Dollar Tree. I love Maui Jim but Shady Rays are American and 1/3 the price plus a better warranty.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I started with Ray Ban aviators when I used to climb ladders and telephone poles because they didn't slip off from sweat. Also had Oakley, Maui Jim, and recently Shady Rays reader sunglasses because I'm getting old. I buy indoor reading glasses at Dollar Tree. I love Maui Jim but Shady Rays are American and 1/3 the price plus a better warranty.
I love Maui Jims, too. I appreciate the info about Shady Rays, though. I need to look into those.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I really don’t like spending money on glasses, but you have to have quality especially here in Florida. So I try to keep them as long as possible. Ray Ban aviators for day to day. As Spectator said, they are dainty and slip off. So I do have a pair of Costas for weekend activities, which are much sturdier and don’t fall off. Probably the most durable brand I’ve ever had is Smith. Still have a pair from ‘15 that have been to games, beach, skiing, etc. and are still kicking.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I realized the need for a good pair of sunglasses when I began coaching and was outside all the time. I’ve had several pairs of Oakleys that I liked and got good use from. Some I replaced nose and earpieces along with lenses. I generally take good care of my shades.

The last two pair I’ve bought are Nikes, purchased at the outlet in Commerce GA while on trips to and from the mountains. The older pair is 7 years old and still in good shape. I wear them everyday either driving, around the farm, or golfing. I’m not necessarily big on Nike, but they are of good quality and price and very durable.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Oh, btw the rope floats but not the glasses ::lol:
I don't know about the rope, but as for the glasses lacking buoyancy...
Letterkenny GIF by Crave

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I was at dad's pond this past summer sitting on the dock watching a catfish or a carp feeding at the bank and I leaned over a little too far. My Ray Ban sunglasses dropped straight to the bottom. Fortunately it was only 4' there and spent some time fishing them out with a net. Success!

1677622640621.png

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Costas only for my sunglasses. Been wearing them for over 30 years and a pair usually lasts me a decade or better.
Reading glasses are bought on the cheap.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I used to be a Costa guy, but the last two pairs I owned were crap. They've turned into the Chinese junk that alot of other manufacturers went to. Why spend 300 on Chinese sht when I can spend 30?

I've got a pair of peppers right now and absolutely love them. Fit great, look great, polarization rivals any pair of costas I've owned and I've owned plenty. And they were 35 bucks to my door step.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I lose them either way, so no point in spending any more than necessary. Polarized for sun at altitude, but that is really the only requirement. The cheaper, the better.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I usually have a pair of Ray Bans for every day and still have a pair of 20 year old Oakley's that I just buy new lenses and rubber for every couple years.
Good sunglasses definitely required, when riding the Harley. Right now, that's the old Oakley's. Fit tight to my face, won't blow off when I turn my head, really good with the glare, and all my sunglasses are polarized.

I do have a few pairs of Wal Mart "safety" glasses both tinted and clear for doing stuff in the yard.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I lose them either way, so no point in spending any more than necessary. Polarized for sun at altitude, but that is really the only requirement. The cheaper, the better.
We watched a show about Mount Everest on Amazon. People would pay $100,000 for an expert to manage their climb with a professional sherpa. It's very common for people to get to the top and take off their glasses to look around and take a selfie. One guy had severe snow blindness by removing his glasses for just a few minutes. Then he had to descend the mountain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator