Tuesday Favorites….GOAT

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Umm, excuse me but...

st,small,845x845-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

Our 2001 team destroyed his eventual SEC championship team, in BR. And then Spurrier beat him in his 4th year at Alabama while using Usce talent.

Plus he looks like a homosexual in that picture.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Our 2001 team destroyed his eventual SEC championship team, in BR. And then Spurrier beat him in his 4th year at Alabama while using Usce talent.

Plus he looks like a homosexual in that picture.
Lol, hard to argue that... :lol2:

Had SOS stayed at UF then he MAY have won more championships but I doubt he would have won 6 total. Who knows? I still don't understand why he decided to leave his alma mater for the NFL...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Had SOS stayed at UF then he MAY have won more championships but I doubt he would have won 6 total. Who knows? I still don't understand why he decided to leave his alma mater for the NFL...

Different timings with both. If Saban had not been such an abject failure at Miami(or their organization hadn’t been so disastrous), I think he would’ve been lured away by now. But he gave it a shot and scratched that itch and could go all in with Alabama. By the time Spurrier had failed in the league I don’t think he wanted the pressure of a the big time.

And different eras as well. No one team could dominate the 90s the way Alabama has(did). Nebraska was the closest thing. Even the Florida teams couldn’t do what he’s done. In part because all three had their respective runs. But Saban didn’t face the same ut or have a team like fsu to go through every year like Spurrier did. I won’t take anything away from him, but that helped.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
To add to his accomplishments, Michael competed in his first Olympics games in 2000 but DID NOT win any medals. He was 15 y/o at the time.

But I don't agree that his records will never be broken. I think that it is definitely possible. He is/was a freak of nature as an athlete but those come along every so often. Look at Usain Bolt... After years of USA domination in sprinting, he broke the 100m, 200m, and 4X100m world records and made it look easy even though he wasn't as fast off the starting line as other runners. His records will eventually be broken IMO.
Not totally disagreeing with you as anything is possible I suppose, but from my pov--his 16th year of competition, the 5th Olympics game he was in...he was 31 years old. Not ready for a rocking chair on the front porch but without question at an age where he WAS considered the old man in that sport. Going up against most everyone else who were in the late teens, early to mid-20's, all at the peak time of their athletic abilities. To be able to just compete at 31 was an amazing feat....to win 6 total medals, 5 of them gold....at that age.....:headslap:It "is" possible, yes that another freak of nature will come along but considering the odds of having to start at the really young age as Phelps did and be able to hold up for as long as Phelps did--is a long, long shot.

Also consider the potential number of events one would have to win in that short window. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not certain but I think about 7 or 8 events in swimming is the most really possible to compete in....and that's including individual and team. IF someone won all Gold in 8 events!....3 straight Olympics!--is the only way to top Phelps. His 23 Gold would be beaten by a mere one. And again, that's winning GOLD in every event over 12 years worth of Olympics! That is completely staggering when you consider it broken down that way.

Not saying can't happen, but I would not expect anyone to even come close to be honest.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Different timings with both. If Saban had not been such an abject failure at Miami(or their organization hadn’t been so disastrous), I think he would’ve been lured away by now. But he gave it a shot and scratched that itch and could go all in with Alabama. By the time Spurrier had failed in the league I don’t think he wanted the pressure of a the big time.

And different eras as well. No one team could dominate the 90s the way Alabama has(did). Nebraska was the closest thing. Even the Florida teams couldn’t do what he’s done. In part because all three had their respective runs. But Saban didn’t face the same ut or have a team like fsu to go through every year like Spurrier did. I won’t take anything away from him, but that helped.
Different eras for sure. I think that SOS had his years of dominance using primarily offense, correct? Saban's years were defense for the most part in the earlier years, offensive in the later years. Not sure about Nebraska. The biggest difference that I see, aside from the number of championship rings, is that Saban has extended his legacy of dominance for going on 20 years now (15 years and counting currently but who knows when he will go to the lake for good?). Neither SOS, Nebraska, or even Miami was the dominant teams for that long. Though FSU had a streak of 14 years of Top 5 finishes from 1987-2000 could be argued...

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Though FSU had a streak of 14 years of Top 5 finishes from 1987-2000 could be argued...
Three letters defines that 'streak': ACC

During that run, you could have taken 4 or 5 teams out of the SEC, moved any of them into the ACC replacing FSU and they would have dominated too in Top 5 finishes. Sure FSU had some talented teams during that time but the ACC with virtually no other competitive teams besides Miami--low hanging fruit.

Or perhaps better stated.....move FSU into the SEC during that time and let's see what would happen to their Top 5 dominance.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Three letters defines that 'streak': ACC

During that run, you could have taken 4 or 5 teams out of the SEC, moved any of them into the ACC replacing FSU and they would have dominated too in Top 5 finishes. Sure FSU had some talented teams during that time but the ACC with virtually no other competitive teams besides Miami--low hanging fruit.

Or perhaps better stated.....move FSU into the SEC during that time and let's see what would happen to their Top 5 dominance.
Hell, even a Peyton led UT woulda got at least ONE natty out that move!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.