Tuesday Favorites…. Seinfeld

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Really everything from season 6 on are just fantastic…that’s when the show really takes off

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Really everything from season 6 on are just fantastic…that’s when the show really takes off

Yes. The “Jimmy”, the “crying understudy” and “Mom and Pop”(my favorite) set the tone that season for what was to come.

I also think season 2 had two episodes that kind of established it. The “statue” and the “jacket” are two of my favorites. I still say “what the hell do you call this?” when I see something I don’t like or understand. :lol:

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I don't have a link, but I read once that Seinfeld struggled so bad its first year, it was moved to the slot after the Cosby Show in order to get more views. I always thought that was crazy in hindsight. The Cosby Show is still fine, but Seinfeld became a legendary juggernaut.

(Not bad-decision "crazy." Unbelievable "crazy.")

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don't have a link, but I read once that Seinfeld struggled so bad its first year, it was moved to the slot after the Cosby Show in order to get more views. I always thought that was crazy in hindsight. The Cosby Show is still fine, but Seinfeld became a legendary juggernaut.

I actually didn’t watch it the first season or two, but have since. It wouldn’t shock me if that were the case because it definitely wasn’t the show it would become. You had an overacting(at times) broadway type actor in JA, a stand up comedian who really can’t act at all, and then characters like Kramer that had to be developed. Perfect example of a show that needed time to grow. The chemistry that emerged was awesome.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I believe that, in turn, Friends was positioned in the slot right after Seinfeld in order to boost that new show's ratings, which I appreciate dearly, cuz I still love that show too.

It was Fall 1994, I was a doe-eyed coed with a house one block off campus and a fake ID, Wuerffel was quarterback, and Spurrier was achieving Sainthood. Damn, times were good.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I believe that, in turn, Friends was positioned in the slot right after Seinfeld in order to boost that new show's ratings, which I appreciate dearly, cuz I still love that show too.

It was Fall 1994, I was a doe-eyed coed with a house one block off campus and a fake ID, Wuerffel was quarterback, and Spurrier was achieving Sainthood. Damn, times were good.

Thursday night NBC was the best. All this right after the Cheers run. Also loved that stretch of Friends the best. Didn’t like the last 4-5 seasons, but those episodes in the mid-90s were great.

Definitely a great period of time in general.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yes. The “Jimmy”, the “crying understudy” and “Mom and Pop”(my favorite) set the tone that season for what was to come.

I also think season 2 had two episodes that kind of established it. The “statue” and the “jacket” are two of my favorites. I still say “what the hell do you call this?” when I see something I don’t like or understand. :lol:
"Alton Benes" was a great character, and the story why he was never brought back is pretty interesting.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The OP makes me think of the opposite scenario of, tell me you never watched Seinfeld without telling me.

There's a show on Netflix called Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee that is hosted by Seinfeld. The show is hit or miss depending on the quality of the guest. There's an episode where the guest is Tracy Morgan that features this hilarious exchange:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
"Alton Benes" was a great character, and the story why he was never brought back is pretty interesting.

We had a funny guy with us in Korea. A tailgunner. They blew his brains out all over the Pacific. There's nothing funny about that

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We had a funny guy with us in Korea. A tailgunner. They blew his brains out all over the Pacific. There's nothing funny about that

E: Dad thinks George is gay.

J: Oh, because of all the singing?

E: No, he pretty much thinks everyone is gay.

That is one of my Top 3-5 episodes.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Thursday night NBC was the best. All this right after the Cheers run. Also loved that stretch of Friends the best. Didn’t like the last 4-5 seasons, but those episodes in the mid-90s were great.

Definitely a great period of time in general.

Yep. Friends hit its peak around season 5/6 and then started to come down after.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. Friends hit its peak around season 5/6 and then started to come down after.

Never minded friends and grew to like it. used to just throw TBS on to catch Seinfeld so always watched a lot of Friends and Raymond too because it was on.

It’s always sunny in Philadelphia might be the closest thing to Seinfeld for me I’ve ever seen…so freaking good. They even did a parody episode of Seinfeld…so good

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator