Tuesday Favorites…National Barbecue Day

What is your favorite type of meat for barbecue?

• 1. Ribs (Spare, St. Louis, Baby Back)

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 2. Boston Butt (pulled, sliced, chopped)

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • 3. Chicken (leg quarters, breast/wing, pulled, wings)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 4. Beef (brisket, burnt ends, ribs)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 5. Ham (Sami h, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CD’s busy, so in her stead (and w/o permission :embarrassed:) on National Barbecue Day, time once again to let us know your tastes on Barbecue, specifically the type meat, and what side(s) round out the meal. For me personally, I’ve never met any barbecue I didn’t like. That includes goat. If I had do just one from now on, it’d be Baby Backs in a sweet hot sauce. I hope I never have to be limited to one choice. Ideally, ribs and chicken are a standard, but the Baby Backs are something special. Give me a dish of cole slaw, fries or potatoe salad, and a piece of Texas toast and I’m in heaven. Chime in and vote.

* Apologies @CDGator and to any others for redundancy or omission.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
For me personally, I’ve never met any barbecue I didn’t like.
I'm with you on this point. I always "liked" barbecue, but it wasn't until I lived in Memphis for five years that I learned to love it. At any event you went to, if there was going to be a meal provided, they always served barbecue. And because of the variety of the meats - though beef was not common there - you never got sick of it. Though not listed in the poll, I became a big fan of how the locals did smoked Turkey; it became my go-to sandwich. It was also the first place I had barbecue pork nachos - still my favorite way to do nachos.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with you on this point. I always "liked" barbecue, but it wasn't until I lived in Memphis for five years that I learned to love it. At any event you went to, if there was going to be a meal provided, they always served barbecue. And because of the variety of the meats - though beef was not common there - you never got sick of it. Though not listed in the poll, I became a big fan of how the locals did smoked Turkey; it became my go-to sandwich. It was also the first place I had barbecue pork nachos - still my favorite way to do nachos.
My wife is not really big on barbecue, but she is a fan of smoked turkey. That allows me to select Sonny’s frequently when we’re out and about. The avian flu that recently wiped out a lot of the turkeys and took it off Sonny’s menu was hurtful.

I’ve always heard about Memphis barbecue but never been there. On a to do list.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Pulled pork Boston Butt. If it is done right, no need for any BBQ sauce. In fact, if it needs sauce, it ain't good BBQ. As for sides, baked beans, fried okra, and maybe french fries...

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
That wooden sail boat helm you have in storage. Did you, by chance, raid one of those 80s/90s north Florida seafood restaurants when they closed?
No... My dad was a commercial fisherman from the early 70s through late 80s. He and his brother raided an old shrimp boat that had run aground and been left to rust away. They hacksawed the wheel off and brought it home where it was displayed on his wall. I got it when he passed. We were thinking of making it into a coffee table.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Work provided Sonny's last week, which of course was fantastic. But they didn't include the Sonny's bbq beans or coleslaw. Does it even count without those?

PS - @cover2 thanks for filling in. I've been busy in the yard and garden now that the weather has warmed up.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No... My dad was a commercial fisherman from the early 70s through late 80s. He and his brother raided an old shrimp boat that had run aground and been left to rust away. They hacksawed the wheel off and brought it home where it was displayed on his wall. I got it when he passed. We were thinking of making it into a coffee table.
Thanks for answering @soflagator ’s question. Naturally, I just assumed you were a pirate somewhere earlier in life.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Not to derail Cover's bbq thread to discuss nautical tchotchkes but here I go anyway.

When Lil Seedy was a wee lad I got him the most epic Pottery Barn boat bed off ebay. The whole room was a nautical theme. I had visions of his childhood being filled with dreams and adventures of the ocean. This bed was incredible. I thought for sure this was heirloom worthy and one day the grandchildren would fight over who inherits this epic bed. It would even go well in the beach house that we would one day buy. When Lil Seedy became Medium Seedy, he not only didn't want to keep the bed for his children but it turns out he hated it. I was crushed. We sold it for more than we bought it for to another mother that would also torment her son.

1684258265028.png

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not to derail Cover's bbq thread to discuss nautical tchotchkes but here I go anyway.

When Lil Seedy was a wee lad I got him the most epic Pottery Barn boat bed off ebay. The whole room was a nautical theme. I had visions of his childhood being filled with dreams and adventures of the ocean. This bed was incredible. I thought for sure this was heirloom worthy and one day the grandchildren would fight over who inherits this epic bed. It would even go well in the beach house that we would one day buy. When Lil Seedy became Medium Seedy, he not only didn't want to keep the bed for his children but it turns out he hated it. I was crushed. We sold it for more than we bought it for to another mother that would also torment her son.

View attachment 57596
Wondering if reading him Lord of the Flies at bedtime was a factor?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We’ve run across some decent BBQ since we’ve moved to Texas.
Honestly- Sonny’s stacks up really well against the stuff here.
Glad to hear the props for Sonny’s. Used to eat at the one on Archer on Sundays quite a bit. They experienced a little decline when Sonny sold the franchise but the ones we eat at now, Tallahassee on N. Monroe and in Thomasville, are always good.

I recall reading about the Texas barbecue and there’s always talk about using mesquite in the cooking/smoking process. Never had it that I know of but always wondered how it stacked up against hickory and oak? Also, seems like Texas ‘cue can be beef forward in some areas? I enjoy good brisket, but bad brisket is the worst. I’m still amazed how much they charge for brisket these days when years ago when we’d get a 1/4 steer from grandaddy for the freezer, the brisket (tagged as “brisket stew”) was always the last pkg left. Seems like it was always pretty chewy!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Ok cool. I was going to ask if you still had any of the stash of Captain’s Wafers you would’ve scored as well.

Also…

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.