Tuesday Favorites…new and improved food

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I’d say hotdogs. When I was young the only hotdogs we ever had were the red weiners. Often had them cold as a snack in the afternoon. Grandmother would boil them and we’d eat them on light bread with ketchup and mustard. The first time we had Oscar Meyer hotdogs, it was like heaven. Now there’s all kinds that while they may still not be good for you, they sure taste better. There’s still red weiners if you want them, but why?
Kids today don't even know what "light bread" actually is... smh... I bet most don't even know what "sweet milk" is either...

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How far back are you going? I think just about everything was borderline barely edible. Many fruits like watermelon were mostly rind. You probably wouldn't eat a natural watermelon. Same is true for vegetables. Corn especially.
It's interesting that you say that as I've read it's the opposite in many cases. As most of the small and medium sized farms have been replaced by large corporate farms they've focused on things like size over taste. The example typically highlighted is the tomato.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Milk is another example of something that apparently used to taste much better when it was delivered daily from local farms.

I'm not old enough to remember that though, so I'd actually say that the improvement in ultra pasteurization has made it so that milk just never goes bad anymore.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I remember mom boiling hot dogs and dad would eat Vienna sausages from the can when I was a kid. It looked so disgusting and so I’ve never had a hot dog before because of it. I will eat kielbasa and andouille sausage from the grill or a cast iron skillet but not hot dogs.

You’ve never had a hot dog ?
Shocking . Not a baseball gal I take it .

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Milk is another example of something that apparently used to taste much better when it was delivered daily from local farms.

I'm not old enough to remember that though, so I'd actually say that the improvement in ultra pasteurization has made it so that milk just never goes bad anymore.
Yeah, back when there was cream on top... a million years ago! ;)

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Unpasteurized milk. No thanks.
Visited a friend in CR and they had milk from the farm down the mountain delivered. Straight from a cow, no thanks.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It's interesting that you say that as I've read it's the opposite in many cases. As most of the small and medium sized farms have been replaced by large corporate farms they've focused on things like size over taste. The example typically highlighted is the tomato.

This is why I love eating in "the village" in Ukraine. The vegetables are "old school," where a carrot tastes like carrots should and each one looks like a unique fukkin tree root in shape.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fast food burgers…places like Freddy’s, Shake Shack, Smash Burger, and Culver’s have really upped the game. Freddy’s in particular is fantastic

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
When I was a kid ice cream flavors were much different. Chocolate, vanilla, and Neapolitan

Now we have amazing flavors like Oreos, heath bar and cookie dough.
Not being much an ice cream eater for years, I am a recent convert. The best store-shelf ice cream.... 1658949763179.png

This flavor is in-friggin-credible. Never heard of it(or the brand, Tillamook) until a few months ago when I saw it in Publix and on a whim picked up a carton. I'm hooked. Tried other options they have but this is THE best IMO so far. Publix always has a special price ice cream every week and they tend to rotate brands, so every 3-4 weeks Tillamook's turn rolls around. I stock up.

Talk about flavor options.... https://www.tillamook.com/products/ice-cream/all?type=premium

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I remember mom boiling hot dogs and dad would eat Vienna sausages from the can when I was a kid. It looked so disgusting and so I’ve never had a hot dog before because of it. I will eat kielbasa and andouille sausage from the grill or a cast iron skillet but not hot dogs.

1658950371857.png

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Not being much an ice cream eater for years, I am a recent convert. The best store-shelf ice cream.... View attachment 46468

This flavor is in-friggin-credible. Never heard of it(or the brand, Tillamook) until a few months ago when I saw it in Publix and on a whim picked up a carton. I'm hooked. Tried other options they have but this is THE best IMO so far. Publix always has a special price ice cream every week and they tend to rotate brands, so every 3-4 weeks Tillamook's turn rolls around. I stock up.

Talk about flavor options.... https://www.tillamook.com/products/ice-cream/all?type=premium

Kroger had a really good deal on the ice cream sandwiches a few months ago so we tried these. Very good!

2021_IC_Sandwich_SaltedCaramel.png

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not being much an ice cream eater for years, I am a recent convert. The best store-shelf ice cream.... View attachment 46468

Really??? Very interesting…only ever had their cheese which is great. As an ice cream fanatic I’m gonna have to try this

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Tillamook is great ice cream. For any of you who live in the midwest (Wisc/Ill/Minn) see if you can find Cedar Crest. It's even better than Tillamook. (And the factory where they make it is in @MidwestChomp 's hometown!)

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Tillamook is great ice cream. For any of you who live in the midwest (Wisc/Ill/Minn) see if you can find Cedar Crest. It's even better than Tillamook. (And the factory where they make it is in @MidwestChomp 's hometown!)
Bernice the Big Cow! That Cedar Crest was Lakeland before Cedar Crest came in. We would go to Lakeland all the time. 25 cent ice cream cones. When Cedar Crest came in, the ice cream was too expensive. We'd opt for Beerntsen's in downtown, an old fashion ice cream parlor and candy shop (still around).

The funny thing about Bernice. Kids would take baseball bats and knock off her udder nips. Those have been replaced so many times I lost count.

WIMANcow_rhode.jpg

Good Lord, I am sounding like coach now.....

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
When I was a kid ice cream flavors were much different. Chocolate, vanilla, and Neapolitan

Now we have amazing flavors like Oreos, heath bar and cookie dough.
One of my favorite Simpsons scenes revolves around Neapolitan

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Bernice the Big Cow! That Cedar Crest was Lakeland before Cedar Crest came in. We would go to Lakeland all the time. 25 cent ice cream cones. When Cedar Crest came in, the ice cream was too expensive. We'd opt for Beerntsen's in downtown, an old fashion ice cream parlor and candy shop (still around).

The funny thing about Bernice. Kids would take baseball bats and knock off her udder nips. Those have been replaced so many times I lost count.

WIMANcow_rhode.jpg

Good Lord, I am sounding like coach now.....
Was at both places last month. They didn't used to have the sign under the cow and somewhere is a picture of my kids standing underneath Bernice. The ice cream is not cheap, but it's phenomenal. Best milk shake I've ever had. My mom used to take us to Beerntsen's when we were kids and we still go back every year. I don't think it looks any different from when she was a kid.

1659452346820.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb