Tuesday Favorites…store from long ago

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Nixon button was “once in a very blue moon”,

written by Pat Alger... impressive song writing list:

He teamed with Nanci Griffith, and co-wrote Griffith's hit songs "Once in a Very Blue Moon" and "Lone Star State of Mind."[2][1] Some of his songs were recorded by Kathy Mattea such as "Goin' Gone", "She Came From Fort Worth", and "A Few Good Things Remain."[1]

He wrote four Number One hits for Garth Brooks like "Unanswered Prayers", "What She's Doing Now", "The Thunder Rolls", and "That Summer."[1] He also wrote hits for Hal Ketchum, "Small Town Saturday Night,"[1] for Trisha Yearwood, "Like We Never Had A Broken Heart,"[1] for Don Williams, "True Love",[1] and for Mark Collie, "Calloused Hands." Through the years, his songs are recorded and performed by such diverse artists as Peter, Paul and Mary, Dolly Parton, Lyle Lovett, Brenda Lee, and Crystal Gayle.[3] He has three critically-acclaimed solo albums in the 1990s featuring backup by Griffith, Lovett, Mattea, and Yearwood.[4]

He has well over twenty hits to his credit, including eight Number One hits

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
Not that long ago but Maas Bros fell apart sometime in the 80s.

But the place I have missed the most in Tally is the Talquin Inn. Great food and private rooms; I use to eat in the kitchen.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone remember Turtle’s Music Store? Maybe they were just local to the Tampa area

Instead of gift certificates, they had metal coins that looked like a record with the dollar amount stamped on them. As a kid, those coins were so cool.

View attachment 35671
Spent quite a bit of allowance in that store.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Western auto, still have a 22 rifle from there. It's a fantastic little pee shooter.

Anyone remember Scotty's hardware? It was Lowes and home Depot before they existed.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Western auto, still have a 22 rifle from there. It's a fantastic little pee shooter.

Anyone remember Scotty's hardware? It was Lowes and home Depot before they existed.

Ha. Yeah... I remember Scotty's Hardware. Damn, havent thought about that store in probably 30 years.

WNjtf8auGitKn86XVFC-Kk-dgkxFMwLmBv7wFhPUjKiukrGgiuKc9jfNustafWrIrL8ozK8-Q1w5W9mIALnd6W_5mROgHf1z-0QrY1R05QSQ4N2EkmSYaCk

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Scotty's had better "experts" than HD and Lowes.
Much better. Everyone that worked there was older and a retired carpenter, construction worker, contractor, etc. Everyone in there knew there stuff. I would go with my dad as a little boy to get lumber, tools, etc. My dad did everything - rebuild engines, remodel houses, even built a few, landscaping, plumbing, electrical, insulation. You name it, he did it all himself, usually with me begrudgingly lending a hand.

I'm nowhere near as capable as he was but I can do most things and am knowledgeable enough to know what right looks like. I appreciate all the sweaty saturday afternoons i spent helping him with whatever home or auto project we were doing a lot more now that I see the prices clowns want to charge for substandard work. 80% of the time i end up doing it myself b/c i can and dont want to spend the money to pay someone to do it half assed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Much better. Everyone that worked there was older and a retired carpenter, construction worker, contractor, etc. Everyone in there knew there stuff. I would go with my dad as a little boy to get lumber, tools, etc. My dad did everything - rebuild engines, remodel houses, even built a few, landscaping, plumbing, electrical, insulation. You name it, he did it all himself, usually with me begrudgingly lending a hand.

I'm nowhere near as capable as he was but I can do most things and am knowledgeable enough to know what right looks like. I appreciate all the sweaty saturday afternoons i spent helping him with whatever home or auto project we were doing a lot more now that I see the prices clowns want to charge for substandard work. 80% of the time i end up doing it myself b/c i can and dont want to spend the money to pay someone to do it half assed.

Same with my grandfather and I... the stuff I learned (and a lot i've forgotten).

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
West Brothers was another good pre Lowes and HD hardware store that we would go to sometimes.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone remember a store called Zaires? It was sort of like a Kmart. My mom would take us in there occasionally.

And who can forget the grocery store Piggly wiggly. They still have some around though not many anymore. But would you believe there also used to be a Hoggly Woggly? Pretty sure the last one of those closed decades ago but they existed.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Same. I do not have a single memory of my dad ever hiring a repairman, handyman, or mechanic. Not once. And because of that…. It is also hard wired into me.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone remember a store called Zaires? It was sort of like a Kmart. My mom would take us in there occasionally.

And who can forget the grocery store Piggly wiggly. They still have some around though not many anymore. But would you believe there also used to be a Hoggly Woggly? Pretty sure the last one of those closed decades ago but they existed.

I do know there is still a Piggly Wiggly in Appalachicola and Port St Joe.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In high school, I worked unloading trucks for a Mervyn’s Dept Store. From memory, it’s exactly like a present day Kohl’s.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I do know there is still a Piggly Wiggly in Appalachicola and Port St Joe.
sure is. When we go over to st Joe for a little peace and quiet we often stay at windmark beach and shop at the Piggly, or that dollar general grocery store.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

Pretty sure there is still a Hoggly Woggly in Tallacrappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb