Tuesday Favorites.....Book

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I probably enjoyed Band of Brothers as much as anything I’ve read. The television series, which was also great and followed the book closely, was a great compliment. I enjoyed the detail and research Ambrose did.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
What’s your favorite book, author or series?
As an addendum, to keep it interesting you can’t pick the Bible, Koran, or Torah. The Bhagavad Gita however, is acceptable.
Fiction: The Godfather (I love the movie, but the book is even better.) Even though we’ve all seen the movie, some of us a dozen or so times, the book is still riveting, if a bit graphic at times. It also certainly explains better than the movie just why Luca Brasi was so feared.

Non fiction: As a big history buff, there are way too many for me to narrow one down, but for those looking for something a bit on the obscure side, check out “Lawrence in Arabia” (Scott Anderson). It’s an excellent primer for anyone trying to understand why the Middle East is the mess it is. It’s also a great way to learn a lot about Lawrence’s exploits without having to plod through “Seven Pillars of Wisdom.”

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I probably enjoyed Band of Brothers as much as anything I’ve read. The television series, which was also great and followed the book closely, was a great compliment. I enjoyed the detail and research Ambrose did.
The series left out all the things in the book that make the "greatest" generation, well, no different than any other generation that's fought.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
As an addendum, to keep it interesting you can’t pick the Bible, Koran, or Torah. The Bhagavad Gita however, is acceptable.
Fiction: The Godfather (I love the movie, but the book is even better.) Even though we’ve all seen the movie, some of us a dozen or so times, the book is still riveting, if a bit graphic at times. It also certainly explains better than the movie just why Luca Brasi was so feared.

Non fiction: As a big history buff, there are way too many for me to narrow one down, but for those looking for something a bit on the obscure side, check out “Lawrence in Arabia” (Scott Anderson). It’s an excellent primer for anyone trying to understand why the Middle East is the mess it is. It’s also a great way to learn a lot about Lawrence’s exploits without having to plod through “Seven Pillars of Wisdom.”
Who's "we've"? :dunno:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I loved the book and series, but the book shows Dick Winters et Al as they were, not how Hanks and Spielberg wanted to romanticize the generation, and I'm not knocking Winters et al, but Tom Brokaw and NBC would accuse half of them of war crimes if it were Iraq or Afghanistan. I've hated that "greatest" misnomer of Brokaw's since day one.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I loved the book and series, but the book shows Dick Winters et Al as they were, not how Hanks and Spielberg wanted to romanticize the generation, and I'm not knocking Winters et al, but Tom Brokaw and NBC would accuse half of them of war crimes if it were Iraq or Afghanistan. I've hated that "greatest" misnomer of Brokaw's since day one.
Gotcha. I guess the clips of the actual guys at the beginning and ending of the episodes kept it connected to the book for me. I suppose that truthfully I enjoyed the battle sequences more than anything else. Never actually been in combat, but seemed closer to what it might be than say The Longest Day and other WWII movies.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Gotcha. I guess the clips of the actual guys at the beginning and ending of the episodes kept it connected to the book for me. I suppose that truthfully I enjoyed the battle sequences more than anything else. Never actually been in combat, but seemed closer to what it might be than say The Longest Day and other WWII movies.
Like I said, I loved both the book and series. But the series deliberately left out "warts" (albeit subtle, but important ones) that were in the book

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Phenomenal set (3 volumes). It took me a bit to get through (each volume is over 1K pages), but was as comprehensive and well written as anything I’ve read on the Civil War.

two things -

1. He was an incredible interview on the Ken Burn's series - great stories and insights
2. The way he wrote the books - it was almost like you were eavesdropping in on most of the events that took place. He really brought them to life in a way most history books don't do.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jurassic Park
Michael Crichton - RIP
Read all of his books. Andromeda Strain, his self biography ‘Travels’, and his one off Pirate Latitudes are great, among many others. He was on fire in the 90s.

Stranger in a Strange Land
Robert Heinlein-old school sci-fi
Also good are The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Starship Troopers, and Puppet Masters.

Enders Game
Orson Scott Card
He writes some pretty cool space and fantasy stuff, two entire series spinoff of Ender.
I’ve probably read 15-20 of his books.

Michael Connelly - Go Gators
Read most of his stuff but didn’t care for the series.

Lately been reading a lot of books about war history like Band of Brothers, Matterhorn, Indianapolis, and many more.

Sleeper pick:
Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Slayer
I really liked that book! :lol:

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My 3 favorite authors are Twain, Hemingway and Jimmy Buffet.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Buffet’s fiction novels.

“The Old Man and the Sea” was an inspirational story for me (I named my submarine “Manolin” after the character in the story) and “A Farewell to Arms” is also a favorite.

Never read Twain except for the obligatory high school “Huckleberry Finn”.

I was really surprised by how much I liked Dave Barry’s fictional novels. “Tricky Business” is one of my favorite books - I rarely laugh out loud at something I’m reading, but I did so often with that book. Just the name of the band “Johnny and the Contusions” makes me laugh thinking about it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Buffet’s fiction novels.

“The Old Man and the Sea” was an inspirational story for me (I named my submarine “Manolin” after the character in the story) and “A Farewell to Arms” is also a favorite.

Never read Twain except for the obligatory high school “Huckleberry Finn”.

I was really surprised by how much I liked Dave Barry’s fictional novels. “Tricky Business” is one of my favorite books - I rarely laugh out loud at something I’m reading, but I did so often with that book. Just the name of the band “Johnny and the Contusions” makes me laugh thinking about it.
I loved Buffet’s fiction. I’ve read all his books.
Hemingway is obviously one of the greatest American authors.
I really enjoyed Twain’s “Following the Equator”. Great read while floating in the pool or in a hammock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb