Tuesday Favorites....Dog Breed

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Been looking to get a dog. I like Golden Retrievers but they get a little bigger than I like. Maybe 50 pounds instead of 75. Turns out there's a mix called a Mini Golden. Perfect! I found my breed. Then I find out they cost about $5000.
I have expensive tastes. Even when I don't know the cost of something I somehow always pick the most expensive option.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Been looking to get a dog. I like Golden Retrievers but they get a little bigger than I like. Maybe 50 pounds instead of 75. Turns out there's a mix called a Mini Golden. Perfect! I found my breed. Then I find out they cost about $5000.
I have expensive tastes. Even when I don't know the cost of something I somehow always pick the most expensive option.

Go to the pound and give a dog a shot at a good life. Your best friend is there waiting on you.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
My family raised Pit bulls when I was growing up. I really love those and they truly do make great family pets. I currently want a Belgian Malinois. Doubt I'll ever get one but that is what I want.
I have a good friend who is a Georgia State Trooper who has had a Malinois for a partner (a drug detection K-9) for over a decade. She's a beautiful dog, very intelligent, and, according to him, good with his family. After years of hearing good things about the dog, I let him know I was getting interested in maybe having one one day. He asked if I knew what the word "Malinois" meant, to which I replied I did not. He responded that "Malinois" is a french word that means "don't get one."

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Rbdc40463240cef3510f75c65d6f47896

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Go to the pound and give a dog a shot at a good life. Your best friend is there waiting on you.
Yeah. I'm a mutt guy. I just want a dog that looks like a dog and doesn't weigh 70 lbs.
I like all dogs but poodles, chihuahuas, bulldogs etc. ain't my thing.
Growing up I had a some kinda bird dog, cocker spaniel mix.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

We lost both of our dogs of 14 years last year and began fostering before deciding to keep one that we had. He's a springer spaniel, was given up by a family for some unknown reason, and has turned out to be one of the best dogs we've ever had. At his age(9) he wasn't an ideal choice for most people, so his story may have ended there if we hadn't taken him. I've always heard that dogs are smart enough to know what you've done for them, and show that appreciation. No idea if it's true or not, but his overall disposition is the most gracious of any dog I've ever seen. One of the best decisions we've ever made.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We lost both of our dogs of 14 years last year and began fostering before deciding to keep one that we had. He's a springer spaniel, was given up by a family for some unknown reason, and has turned out to be one of the best dogs we've ever had. At his age(9) he wasn't an ideal choice for most people, so his story may have ended there if we hadn't taken him. I've always heard that dogs are smart enough to know what you've done for them, and show that appreciation. No idea if it's true or not, but his overall disposition is the most gracious of any dog I've ever seen. One of the best decisions we've ever made.
9 years old? Ya'll are awesome. I believe @cover2 has a Springer he's kinda fond of.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
9 years old? Ya'll are awesome. I believe @cover2 has a Springer he's kinda fond of.

It was worrisome then, and has only gotten worse as he's become a part of the family. I'm just hopeful to give him a good 4-5 years so our kids aren't hit with a loss again. If/when we get another, I may go back to a Springer. Never had one, or had any interest, but they are great dogs.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@soflagator ...
Our Spaniel is actually a Brit and he’s a big part of the family. But a Springer is a mighty fine breed. Sounds like you guys have welcomed a great friend into your fold. Coot is on point, as usual, regarding giving a dog from the pound a new lease on life. The good goes both ways.

This is how I end most days. No better feeling than getting a little brain lube from the crossword while my buddy sits in the recliner with me.

CDED0467-845A-4CCB-A2C4-E65F85469DF0.jpeg

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@soflagator ...
Our Spaniel is actually a Brit and he’s a big part of the family. But a Springer is a mighty fine breed. Sounds like you guys have welcomed a great friend into your fold. Coot is on point, as usual, regarding giving a dog from the pound a new lease on life. The good goes both ways.

This is how I end most days. No better feeling than getting a little brain lube from the crossword while my buddy sits in the recliner with me.

View attachment 29943

Thats right a Brit- I had a partner in a home building business years ago that had a Brit-He was from South Dakota and swore she was the absolute best he ever saw on pheasant

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
@soflagator ...

Some has their priorities straight.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
@soflagator ...

He's trying to tell you 46 down is "Greta"

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I've always heard that dogs are smart enough to know what you've done for them, and show that appreciation.
Mark Twain had a great quote about this very thing:
"“If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.”

Last edited:

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
@soflagator ...

View attachment 29943
rADHwQS.jpg

Hard to tell but I would assume your dog Coot is an French Brittany. Posted one of my American Brittany Spider next to him. It is kind of stupid that in the US they are considered different breeds but the rest of the world see's no difference. For those who don't know a French Brit has a black nose and anAmerican Brit has a brown nose.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
rADHwQS.jpg

Hard to tell but I would assume your dog Coot is an French Brittany. Posted one of my American Brittany Spider next to him. It is kind of stupid that in the US they are considered different breeds but the rest of the world see's no difference. For those who don't know a French Brit has a black nose and anAmerican Brit has a brown nose.
So the American is the brown noser? :lol: Sometimes the distinctions used by the AKC are strange. Most breed standards are as inexact and as subject to interpretation as a politicians speech.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I grew up with plenty of dogs and cats. But I never wanted the hassle as an adult. Well my mom died last summer. We had roughly 48 hours where we could run home, do some chores, and head back. During that time, we were driving down a busy road and a dog was walking down the middle of it with a leash still attached to her collar. It was like she was dropped out of a helicopter. A bunch of cars screech to a halt.... and the little turd runs up to me.

Super long story short, we now own her.

We think she’s 7-9 years old based on eyes and teeth. Incredibly sweet. Doesn’t bark. Doesn’t shed a single hair. Completely potty trained. About 7 pounds.

She did have some seizures in the beginning. We were one seizure away from putting her on medication, but that was it.

We named her Millie. Just got the DNA results back and she is half yorkie, half toy poodle.

Everyone loves her of course. But she is 100% up my butt and will not leave my side when I am home.
B3C699A5-55CE-4E9E-8C43-ECA60DAC289C.jpeg
A0C2C25E-EAFB-4136-8682-41B1955EE4E2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator