Tuesday Favorites....Dog Breed

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have five dogs and over the years we have fostered over 100 dogs for adoption. Highly recommend adopting a dog that needs a home rather than running to a breeder. There are already plenty of dogs on the planet without intentionally making more of them. Here is our current foster pup, he will be ready to go in a week or so after getting his next round of shots.
70e44ff425141a90f00282baabc2c25b.jpg

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
That sucks! I caught a possum and raccoon last year in our fenced in dog yard and relocated them to a sleepy little town 20 miles to the south of us. Unlock other members on our board here that collect the raccoons. :p

Yeah I didn’t realize how toxic an opossums gut is you’re better off getting rid of them

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Catching squirrels? It'd be easier to just shoot the little fuzzy gophers... ;)
Dad has several squirrels that visit the bird feeders. Hank has come close to catching one a few times. He ignores them now ... he gets embarrassed when he's outwitted.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
My white pit that I had when I was younger caught three squirrels a woodpecker and an otter all by himself...and killed a few cats and a dog that wandered into our yard...that’s neither here nor there though...it was his yard

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
That sucks! I caught a possum and raccoon last year in our fenced in dog yard and relocated them to a sleepy little town 20 miles to the south of us. Unlock other members on our board here that collect the raccoons. :p
Not sure about Kentucky, but here in Alabama it is illegal to relocate wild animals without a proper license/permit from the state.

And why would anyone ever want to collect raccoons? :whistle:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We have five dogs and over the years we have fostered over 100 dogs for adoption. Highly recommend adopting a dog that needs a home rather than running to a breeder. There are already plenty of dogs on the planet without intentionally making more of them. Here is our current foster pup, he will be ready to go in a week or so after getting his next round of shots.
70e44ff425141a90f00282baabc2c25b.jpg
Cute puppy. Maybe the owners that buy puppies without accepting responsibility for the time and expense of owning one should be spayed/neutered.

I think there's a place for preservation breeding. My dog, AKC Grand Champion Lanburs Half-Way Home Hank will be getting laid sometime this year (hopefully). I'll keep one for the stud service so Hank will have a son to "raise".

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Dad has several squirrels that visit the bird feeders. Hank has come close to catching one a few times. He ignores them now ... he gets embarrassed when he's outwitted.
A buddy of mine has lots of hickory trees and because of that, lots of squirrels. He also boards horses. When the squirrels numbers start getting out of hand he will set a live trap. He will reset it every day until he goes a day without catching one. When he does trap them though, he places the trap down in his horse water trough. 5 minutes later he dumps the drowned squirrel into the pile of horse manure. He has done this two times where he trapped 19 squirrels consecutively.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Not sure about Kentucky, but here in Alabama it is illegal to relocate wild animals without a proper license/permit from the state.

Umm yeah, I'm licensed.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018

Coonskin caps is the only acceptable answer..I used to keep the tails and skulls of everything my dog used to help me catch...covered the whole side of my shed and a small shelf...that was pretty cool

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
A buddy of mine has lots of hickory trees and because of that, lots of squirrels. He also boards horses. When the squirrels numbers start getting out of hand he will set a live trap. He will reset it every day until he goes a day without catching one. When he does trap them though, he places the trap down in his horse water trough. 5 minutes later he dumps the drowned squirrel into the pile of horse manure. He has done this two times where he trapped 19 squirrels consecutively.
I like squirrels. They will definitely work for their food. Dad has tried all kinds of "squirrel-proof" birdfeeders, cones, grease etc but they keep at it and find a way to get to the bird food.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Coonskin caps is the only acceptable answer..I used to keep the tails and skulls of everything my dog used to help me catch...covered the whole side of my shed and a small shelf...that was pretty cool
You haven't met my wife. :headslap: She actually feeds cat food to the wild animals off our porch. I have warned her many times to stop and told her that she is going to get bitten eventually because each Spring the "momma" coons tend to bring their new crop of babies out and they wander up on the porch. Three years ago one of the babies did "nip" her on the back of her heel so she had to endure 3 rounds of the rabies shots. And she STILL feeds them... :banghead:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We had two Boston Terriers for several years and they were great family dogs. Loved them! Then one day this little rat ran across the road. We live on a farm so I guess someone dumped her out here. When I stopped the car the little chihuahua ran under my car. Ten years later we still have her and she is always by my side or in my jacket. We also adopted a Chug (chihuahua/pug) but he's more like a THUG. He loves his babies and is always by my other side. :facepalm:
Adopted dogs are the best and most loving dogs.

94017223_10158137057952488_927693290755588096_n.jpg

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ACD-blue-spud.jpg

I have a 12 year old Blue Heeler. Best dog I've ever had. Affectionate, loyal and smart......

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have had many different breeds over the years. It's hard to pick a favorite. I started out with a mutt, the two Shelties, then a Keeshond, then two Havanese and a Yorkie. I never thought I'd have little foo foo dogs but My wife preferred them. You see who won that battle. The Havanese are convinced they can't live without me. Actually all of them did. What else can you ask for.

Don't tell the Havanese, but after thinking about it I think the Keeshond was my favorite, super smart, playful, sweet, loyal and everything else. It's really a hard choice.

A dead ringer for my Keeshond.

Keeshond-3-645mk062411.jpg

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

I am dying of cuteness overload... need ... a ... moment... here .. to catch my ...breath.

Penny is a dead ringer for my Elwood that I had in the late 80's... the only difference in appearance was - he was all brown everywhere with the exception of a Harry Potter like white lightening bolt on his chest.

And Penny is also the name of my grand dog:

064FDA5A-FA11-4F1C-86A4-3D7776849EB2.jpeg

Here are my late great girls Cocoa and Silvie -

640AC857-4DD7-4604-8184-DD390B5E2592.jpeg
Cocoa was a German Shorthair Pointer and Silvie was a Weimeraner - both fantastic breeds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.