Tuesday Favorites....Drink (and turtle talk)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
"So then I says (hic) I says BOURBON? I'm a seaturtle, we prefer RUM (hic) with a salt water chaser, but you know, you're like my best friend man (hic) you know, this bourbon is like sooooo good, hey man, I'd do anything for you man (hic) you're like a brother man, hey, let's (hic) get some more of those red cups and find some chicks with fat titties (hic) that would be like so much fun man."
iu

Alex.

Some of us still have children of the "Turtle Talk with Crush" age. So that hits pretty close to home.

Minus the slight vulgarity, of course.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Some of us still have children of the "Turtle Talk with Crush" age. So that hits pretty close to home.

When you were a child and Reggie White, Jerome Brown, and Clyde Simmons were destroying offenses around the league, a 40 of Crazy Horse was the preferred Philly daily beverage.

iu

Alex.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Turtle Talk is probably the single best thing about Epcot. So awesome on so many different levels.

Except for the booze, of course.

Fun story: one late evening at Epcot, I actually convinced my kids the entire thing was built in a dome and the moon was actually fake. Like the indoor area right before the Mexican ride.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Is anyone else a Maker's Mark ambassador? If not, do yourself a favor and sign up. They send a Christmas gift every year. Some years are better than others. We've received gifts for about 10 years now. Seedy had a barrel named after him a few years ago.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
I, too, drink a cup of coffee in the morning and a lot of water all day long.

As for adult beverages, I have the unfortunate and unusual affliction of being allergic to beer. I wasn't always. I drank beer without a problem until I was 35. Then I suddenly developed this strange condition that drinking a beer would make my throat close up after just a sip or two. So I haven't had a beer in 13 years.

Thankfully, I'm not affected by liquor, so I do enjoy good wine, bourbon, rum, and scotch. I like a good cab, and there are some good Spanish reds out there, too. Maker's Mark, Angel's Envy, Basil Hayden's, Bulleit...all good, but I just finished a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean (got it as a gift), and wow, was it excellent. My go-to cocktail is typically an old-fashioned, but here's a cocktail for you rum drinkers: take about 2 oz. of a good rum (like Pilar) and pour over ice. Add a few drops of simple syrup and squeeze some fresh lime juice into it and stir. It's great on a summer day!

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Water

Beer: Lager
Red Wine: Cabernet Sauvignon
White Wine: Chardonnay
Liquor: bourbon
Cocktail: old fashioned (mostly on the rocks though)

Typical Old Fashioned:
Bourbon
Sugar Cube (optional extra strength simple syrup)
Angostura bitters
Orange peel (optional and/or Cherry)
Ice

My Old Fashioned:
Bourbon
Maple syrup
Angostura bitters
Orange peel and Filthy Cherry
Ice

upload_2021-2-2_15-10-12.png or upload_2021-2-2_15-14-42.png

I stopped using the sugar cube bc it takes forever to fully melt. The use of simple syrup is so much better but I got tired of making my own and storing it. I found a recipe that showed the use of syrup and decided to give it a try and have never looked back as it adds a wonderful maple accent to the bourbon drink)

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
My liquor of choice is bourbon. Acquired the taste for it drinking Beam at games as a student. There was always Jim Beam and Captain Morgan at every tailgate so that's what everybody drank.

I like Makers Mark, Woodford, really like Angel's Envy, all of those are great for sipping on the rocks. Beam needs a splash of Coke.

My cocktail of choice is an Old Fashioned made with rye. Recently got a bottle of Basil Hayden rye and I'm dying to get into it.

I make a good Old Fashioned. I get an orange, peel off strips of the zest with a vegetable peeler, then wrap the strips in plastic wrap and freeze them for later use. Whenever I make an Old Fashioned, I get a couple of the strips out of the freezer. The flavor from the zest really makes the drink.

I asked for some luxardo cherries for Christmas but that fat fcuk Santa failed me again. Apparently, I was naughty last year.

Old Fashioneds have gotten so trendy, I think the prices on the cherries spiked because lots of folks got them for Christmas. Price went from under $20 for a jar to $40 for a jar. Amazon has an offer of 4 jars for $65 but I don't need 4 jars and I don't have 3 classy friends with impeccable taste and with birthdays coming up. Oh, to have @bradgator2 money and not have to worry about the cost of fancy Italian cherries :lol:

Alex.
He may not be classy, but BNA might go in on that with you... he's an old fashioned connoisseur.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
My beer choices vary with the season. Go to is always an IPA. But I like a bunch of porters in the winter. White Belgians in the fall. Sours in the summer.

Wine is almost always a cab or Bordeaux. I like my reds to be old world. Like I am chewing on a cigar, or an old leather horse saddle that has been sitting untouched in a barn for several decades.

I have tried my whole life to like scotch. I can drink them and appreciate them. But I wouldnt say I enjoy them. But I have fallen in love with bourbons. Woodford Reserve and Angel's Envy are my current favorites.

I have always loved rums. It's a very undervalued market. Papa's Pilar, Zacapa... blows the doors off of any scotch.

And unlike @AlexDaGator, I dont put pussy ass cherries in my bourbon. Just an ice cube or two.
And as for your pink fuzzy slippers, sometimes you just like to feel pretty... (in Leslie Nielsen voice, can't find the Coors Lite commercial!).

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
"So then I says (hic) I says BOURBON? I'm a seaturtle, we prefer RUM (hic) with a salt water chaser, but you know, you're like my best friend man (hic) you know, this bourbon is like sooooo good, hey man, I'd do anything for you man (hic) you're like a brother man, hey, let's (hic) get some more of those red cups and find some chicks with fat titties (hic) that would be like so much fun man."
iu

Alex.
Not gonna lie; that turtle does look a little bombed.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Water, coffee. I don't drink sodas . Juices only if it's with vodka.
Cocktails and beer are typically the only drink calories I take in.

I prefer Crown or vodka tonic, Bells, Cigar City and Creature comforts make the best IPA.
On the dark side it's tough to beat the left hand stout.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Water, coffee. I don't drink sodas . Juices only if it's with vodka.
Cocktails and beer are typically the only drink calories I take in.

I prefer Crown or vodka tonic, Bells, Cigar City and Creature comforts make the best IPA.
On the dark side it's tough to beat the left hand stout.

I probably should've been a little clearer on my entire routine. Like you and GBM, I drink coffee as well. One cup in the morning, and one after lunch. I also drink precisely 3oz of kombucha every morning for overall health, and mineral water at night which is why you sometimes see a Pellegrino in my dinner time pictures if it's Mon-Thu, as I only drink on weekends.

If you can believe it, there are some people that feel a diagnosis would be in order if I were growing up in today's environment. Crazy talk, I say.:lol:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I probably should've been a little clearer on my entire routine. Like you and GBM, I drink coffee as well. One cup in the morning, and one after lunch. I also drink precisely 3oz of kombucha every morning for overall health, and mineral water at night which is why you sometimes see a Pellegrino in my dinner time pictures if it's Mon-Thu, as I only drink on weekends.

If you can believe it, there are some people that feel a diagnosis would be in order if I were growing up in today's environment. Crazy talk, I say.:lol:

Not sure if diagnosis results indicate OCD or just really gay...:dunno:

NTTAWWT, either way.

Alex.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Morning: coffee and water

Water throughout the day.

Adult beverage: really depends on what I’m doing...if relaxing at home wine or scotch would typically be my go to...however I get wicked hangovers off them and wine makes me fat. Once the original quarantine hit I switched to Tequila with lime water. Kind of a boring taste but no hangover and I lost like 15 lbs

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Adult beverage: really depends on what I’m doing...if relaxing at home wine or scotch would typically be my go to...however I get wicked hangovers off them and wine makes me fat. Once the original quarantine hit I switched to Tequila with lime water. Kind of a boring taste but no hangover and I lost like 15 lbs

Wine can do it, but I'm surprised that scotch gives you a hangover. That's always been one of the selling points, that the "day after" is manageable. As opposed to a bourbon hangover which can make you feel like you were in car accident, caused in part by Mike Tyson punching you from the passenger seat.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wine can do it, but I'm surprised that scotch gives you a hangover. That's always been one of the selling points, that the "day after" is manageable. As opposed to a bourbon hangover which can make you feel like you were in car accident, caused in part by Mike Tyson punching you from the passenger seat.

It is awful for me...and it doesn’t take much either. I guess it’s not just scotch but any whiskey in general. I’ll drink scotch or bourbon...both give me equally bad results

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Wine gives me a headache hangover so I don't drink it too often. Last week we had the funeral for my mother-in-law so I started drinking wine about noon. She was catholic so it was fitting. Pretty sure I had a whole bottle going into the evening before the hot tub in the snow and then switched over to champagne. Probably should have tried scotch instead. :lol:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
you sometimes see a Pellegrino in my dinner time pictures if it's Mon-Thu, as I only drink on weekends.
I’m sort of like that as I only drink on days ending in “y.” (Though I have cut back a bit as I prolly gained 10+ lbs over the holidays.)

Wine gives me a headache hangover so I don't drink it too often. Last week we had the funeral for my mother-in-law so I started drinking wine about noon. She was catholic so it was fitting. Pretty sure I had a whole bottle going into the evening before the hot tub in the snow and then switched over to champagne. Probably should have tried scotch instead. :lol:
I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that the hang-over may have been the result of being over-served. Could be wrong tho.
On another topic, am I the only one who finds it interesting you had champagne after a funeral? I’m Irish Catholic and I don’t judge others drinking habits living in a glass house and all, but I’ve drunk a lot of booze in life after the funerals of family and colleagues, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone drink champagne after. (Even when the deceased was a real S.O.B.!)

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that the hang-over may have been the result of being over-served. Could be wrong tho.
On another topic, am I the only one who finds it interesting you had champagne after a funeral? I’m Irish Catholic and I don’t judge others drinking habits living in a glass house and all, but I’ve drunk a lot of booze in life after the funerals of family and colleagues, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone drink champagne after. (Even when the deceased was a real S.O.B.!)

We’re a strange bunch and there’s a lot of us. Seedy is one of 8 kids and our children are #20 and 21 of the grandkids. There’s always something to celebrate and his mom would have appreciated it. Being Catholic you know that alcohol is not frowned upon but encouraged. That’s why there are so many kids! :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Up at 5:00 every morning with either 2% milk or orange juice.

Throughout the day it’s well water from the house. I keep a half gallon in the fridge at school.

In the evening (a great tune by LZ, by the way), it’s either decaf tea with lemon or water, and milk with my meds.

Adult beverage of choice is an ice cold beer, usually Michelob Ultra, but I’m not averse to an occasional bourbon drink, usually with ginger ale and a squeeze of lime. Got a bottle of Makers for Christmas a while back and have become partial to it.

Disclaimer: I had to give up the dark soda waters a while back due to my damaged kidneys, but having grown up with Coca-Cola, I still dream about them. In fact, I’d about sandpaper a lion’s @ss for a tea cup full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.