Tuesday Favorites...How did you meet your spouse/SO?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
As the OP - I really expected a much more in-depth expose -
who is this Seedy?
How did he steal your heart?
Just how annoying is he these days?

You just mailed that one in, didn’t you?
One look and I was hooked and we’ve been together over 27 years.
Why, what did Seedy say? :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
She was a cousin of one of my running buddies. Had a crush on me and my dumb @ss had no idea for the longest. Too busy playing city league basketball, flag football, hunting , fishing and working. Finally dawned on me and we went on a romantic first date to Jack Wingate’s restaurant at Lake Seminole. She ordered the open face barbecue sandwich, I had catfish. The bill was $15 and she was happy. Best investment I ever made. We dated about two years and then tied the knot. 32 years later we’re still going. Two great kids. She’s the best thing that ever happened to me and I’d be lost without her.

I can’t say that we’ve really had an “Our Song,” but we used go dancing and this was a favorite to cut the rug…

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
She was a cousin

Had me worried there for a split second

And - that Romantic’s song was legally required to be played at every fraternity party in the 80’s.

Did y’all cut it up like this?

Excited The Oa GIF by NETFLIX

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
My wife, a scandalous broad from Nebraska, picked me up in a bar in Poway, CA. I was a young and impressionable sailor just looking for life in all the wrong places.

But, now, the back story:

The bar in which she arrived was in fact, the bar where I was my father's dance demonstrator several years earlier (dad was a country dance instructor amongst his other talents). I was well known by the staff, bouncers, house band and owners.

She was looking for a guy that could dance...I was a guy that could dance. I had been shipped home from the Gulf War due to a shoulder injury. The stars aligned.

Just celebrated 30 years married with two boys (26 and 23) and a new grandbaby who just passed his first year.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The Champagne Room.

Nah, j/k.

Family reunion?

Nope. This ain’t Tennessee.

Nerd Camp at UF the summer between our junior and senior years of HS???

Awwwww yeah!!! Living in Beaty Towers with 100 of the most promising budding scientists in the state!

She was in the friend zone though. I was dating someone else. My roommate was seeing her roommate though so she and I would talk about everything for hours while those two were kissing in the other room. I was a nerd but she was freakin’ cool.

Took her to her prom, still justfriends. Both went to UF. Hung out a bunch, still justfriends. I stayed at UF for Law School, she left for grad school. We lost touch.

Reunited via social media about a decade later when she moved back to Florida. Still justfriends. Hung out casually a few times. She assumed from the photos on my social media that I had turned into a shallow prick (can’t blame her, it was mostly pics of me out drinking with attractive girls). She even bought me a book to help make me a better man. We got together for dinner and really talked. She realized she was wrong about me. She never gave me the book. Still justfriends. Hung out casually a few more times.

Maybe 6 or 8 months later, we were hanging out again, started talking, and BOOM—why TF are we justfriends???

We had gotten comfortable in those roles and never considered changing…until allofasudden we did. 8 months later we were engaged.

Married 12 years with an 11 year old boy and a 3 year old girl.

Alex.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had me worried there for a split second

And - that Romantic’s song was legally required to be played at every fraternity party in the 80’s.

Did y’all cut it up like this?

Excited The Oa GIF by NETFLIX
I could cut up a little. Even known to moonwalk after enough grease.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My wife and I attended high school together as well and we knew each other but never dated.
A couple years later we ran into each other at college and the mutual attraction was pretty clear.
We dated for two years before we got married. In September we will celebrate 43 years together.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I went to a cookout where there supposed to be a bunch of folks, but for a good hour+ it was just two couples and me. Was literally starting to make my excuses to leave - really good folks, so the classic "Irish exit" seemed inappropriate - when two guys and a gal showed up. The two guys went inside the house and started doing shots right away leaving this gal outside on the patio with people she'd never met. (Note - One of the guys was her ex boyfriend; I figured out pretty quickly why she had dumped him.) We started talking and hit it off. The whole group of us then went to another party where we ran into a bunch of friends of mine. One of the friends could be fairly obnoxious on occasion and she kept putting him in his place to everyone else's amusement and my immediate admiration. We ended up at an after hours club hanging out til four AM. Had our first date a week later (a lunch date that lasted well past midnight) and have been together for 33+ years with wedding anniversary #31 coming up in October. She's been a great mom for our twins (now 22) and put up with my antics and crazy job (5 transfers, last minute cancellations to plans since I had to work, and more worrying than she'll ever admit as to whether I was safe). Like many others here, I most definitely out kicked my coverage.

Funny story about our first date. When I went to pick her up for lunch she opened the door and saw an odd look on my face and assumed I had forgotten what she looked like and was regretting asking her out. She confessed this thought to me several months later. Truth was it was the day after St. Patrick's Day - which had been a Saturday that year, so the partying started fairly early - and I was unbelievably hung over. As I was driving over to pick her up, I kept questioning the wisdom of planning a lunch date on March 18th. Fortunately I rallied and we had a great time. Later as she got to know my friends and heard some epic tales of that particular St. Paddy's day, she asked if I had been hung over for our date, to which I admitted that I had. This led to her confession of her initial impression. We still laugh about it to this day.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Purple Porpoise - I'm in grad school at UF and one of my best buddies at the time asks if I am willing to go to the bar that night. Didn't take much convincing. We were there about 10min when he informs me he asked a girl from his job to meet him at PP that night...I was immediately given my wing pilot orders that if she brought a friend, I was to keep them occupied. I was dating someone but not serious at the time (practice dating to stay in good form), so the pressure was off of me and I just was laid back having fun shooting pool with this chick. She was attractive, so that didn't hurt. The next day or two my buddy is telling me over and over how the girl was really into me, so we go on a few double dates - not sure if he's bluffing to keep his wing man or not, but I am fully aware of my obliviousness when a girl likes me (@cover2). Over those next two weeks my buddy is effectively shut out by the girl he's after, and me and mine keep dating. I knew in those 2 weeks this was the woman I wanted to raise my kids - not for the sex, but by the quality of who she was as a person (sex with a hot chick is not bad either). 7y of dating, and now having our 21st anniversary this Friday. 2 kids and a lot of memories, looking to retirement together.

In those 2w we went out about every day or two. I was a gentleman, so I waited until the third date to try for a kiss when I dropped her off. She puckered like she had a mouth full of sour patch, all muscle lips clenched tight preventing any tongue action, which as a gentleman I wasn't after. The muscle lips remains a joke to this day. This was late June early July, so for one date I took her to the beach on July 4th during the day and we'd head back that afternoon. I've never been a breast man but GODDAM she was soooo HOT in a bikini and busting out up top :jog: - I was as impressed with her confidence as I was in her physique, absolutely a smokeshow above my grade. I had to fly out at the end of those 2w, had her look after my cats while I was gone, and when I returned she had moved to UVA for grad school (@revgator) as planned.

So for 2y I would leave Friday after work and drive 11h up to Charlottesville, catching naps at Waffle House parking lots up I-95, arriving at her house near dawn. She's well rested and a go-go-go personality and I'm struggling to stay awake. Party with her and her grad friends over the weekend, then 11h back Sunday night, maybe shower maybe not before work Monday morning...and fall asleep at my desk there. We talked a lot on the phone, so my co-workers heard me calling Susan a lot, but I had picked up the habit of calling her by her seldom used middle name of Cheryl when I wanted to be all sweet about something. Co-workers were convinced I was cheating on Susan with Cheryl and were ready to kick my ass until I explained things. 2y of driving up and all lovey-dovey, and when it's time to go home she is all "I cant do long distance, we have to be just friends (@AlexDaGator), so I had to convince her we were right together.

I forced this by saying I'd come meet her family in NJ over New Years, she had to admit to them (and herself) we were more than friends. At the same time, I have always loved suprising people so I arranged for her NJ friends to keep her occupied and her dad to pick me up at Newark a few days early as a surprise. This was her dad's first time meeting me. He gets me to her house and me+mom+dad are sitting around waiting for her to come home...and waiting, and waiting. Eventually, her friends call and say someone stole her car while they were keeping her occupied. Yay for first impressions :headslap:. That's how we spent the first bit of the weekend. However, her dad was a big NCAAF fan, and so was she (bonus for loving the Gators) so we watched the bowl game as a family.....against Nebraska :eek3::bananaburn::couch:. I had to leave the room several times to avoid making a worse impression on her family.

After grad school she moved to Tampa for work, and we did the 2h commute thing on weekends. Then after a year of misery in Tampa she moved to G'ville again, but got her own place as she didn't want to move in with me and have people think she was living in sin or something. That lasted 6 months before she actually moved in.

I said I knew I wanted to marry her after 2w, but it took me 7y to be in a position (financially, mentally, emotionally, etc - in part due to some baggage earlier in my life) to get around to proposing. So, I wanted her to have a say in what her engagment ring looked like, and I used some cheap toy substitute, took her to Cordova 95 in St Augustine for a nice dinner, then planned to take her out on the beach and surprise propose her there. She spent the entire drive to dinner getting herself worked up about our relationship, then used the entire dinner to blast me about how this relationship isn't progressing :banghead:etc. I get her out on the beach, park the car and take a short walk with her, and on the way back I'm like "I gotta get this done, here, NOW!" (tide is coming in!!) so I get down on one knee and of course she is like
Her: What are you doing?
Me: Tying my shoe lace.
Her: Your shoes don't have laces. :banghead:
I propose, she accepts, and we spend the next 2h driving around 1130pm in St Aug trying to get cell reception so she can call her parents. They already knew, because as a gentleman I had asked permission earlier.

The disclaimer is I've always liked dirty blondes, that mix of light and dark hair, preferably with a bit of bounce and body to it. I had always believed I was a 'smile man' and she was always smiling and laughing, which caught me. Later I realized I was just as much a 'legs man' and her wearing shorts all the time was awesome. A big bosom was never needed for me, but became an all around 'hell yes' bonus in this relationship Point being, physically she was the bomb :naughty: in my book. Along with that hair comes the 'ditzy blond' jokes...but they aren't always jokes, which leads to the bonus rounds. This isn't to say she is dumb, but that we balance each other - I'm the strong male engineer (what's broke lemme fix it), while she's the soft and caring and often happy and bubbly personality to help me function socially.

While still dating in FL, my best friend for life has always been the smooth social type with tons of connections. He got us and him+hisgf tickets to the UF-UT game, and while Susan and I walked them to the gate looking for tickets he helped me slip ours into her back pocket as a surpise. Again for the FL-GA game, he had tickets for everyone, but late in tailgating he and I 'went looking for tickets' for me and Susan, came back then split up heading into the stadium...her eyes were huge when she saw our seats were next to theirs.

While she was at UVA she bought 2 tickets in a raffle with the Scandanavian Student Society or somesuch while at a party at a friends house. Well, those tickets won, and Olaf retuned to THAT house and was jumping up and down on the friend's bed yelling "Susan you WON!" to a not-Susan. We had won a week in Copenhagen for two, and of course her mom booked the hotel...with separate twin beds :grin:

While at UVA, we'd meet at various placed in between on weekends. One such trip was to Florence, SC (caught the UF-USCe game where we blew them out). Part of the weekend we decided to go hike a beauty trail but couldn't find it. Asked a local who's directions where to turn left at the Chick-fil-A (still a joke when navigating these days), then right where the hairdresser's is (the local was flaming gay), and we should see signs - we followed the directions and were in a neighborhood, and they did indeed have "Beauty Trail ->>" atop the street signs, but they went down a street, turn left, turn left again, down that street, turn right, turn right again. It took us 15 min of following signs to realize going thru the neighborhood and seeing houses from the 1950's WAS the "beauty trail". Ok, that blond moment was on both of us.

There's more, but I'm already TLB;DR

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Match.com, 2007.
Match.com really does work. I was getting over a really bad end to a long relationship and wanted no part in online dating. My best friend and his wife sat me down and made me complete a profile. My (now) wife was new to Florida and just looking to make a friend or two. Neither of us was looking for a soul mate or any kind of commitment, but after several long phone conversations and an epic first date at Universal on the 4th of July, that all changed. I proposed the following July 4th and we’ve been together now for 19 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.