Tuesday Favorites...How did you meet your spouse/SO?

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I was living in tally at the time. I was invited to a Gator vs dawg party; they called it a white hat black hat party. Being the only person there who wasn't an attorney, lobbyist or other type of power broker, I waited around for the person who invited me to show up, so I would have some excuse to be there. Well, the person who invited me never showed up, but one attorney came with three good looking babes. One of them made me think of that Eddie Rabbitt song 'Step by Step' (ie, "she looks too beautiful to touch"), so I got her phone number. Best party I ever crashed; two kids and a career later we are still going strong!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Lived in the same neighborhood and would occasionally walk our dogs around the same time in the evenings or I’d see her at the gym. So we casually knew each other about a year. Ironically, she was encouraged by people in the neighborhood to not date me because the “cabinets off the balcony” thing and my general reputation as being kind of wild. But she took a chance and asked me to meet her for a drink one night. Bradley’s in WPB. I strangely knew the minute she walked in that I was going to marry her because of how modest she was dressed. Totally different than other girls. She also had brought along a male cousin(again, the cabinets). I was doing a capital raise for a company that had leased a loft at a building about 8 blocks away and it had a rooftop pool overlooking PB. I had the key and code. So at the end of the night, I thought it would be the icing on a perfect intro “date”. We jumped in fully clothed. But I for some reason decided to dive and completely misjudged the depth. Hit my shoulder and chin along the bottom. Always say I’m a few inches away from being Hawking. Tried playing off the gushing blood from my chin, because I couldn’t let all the good literally go down the drain. But I could only wash it away so fast and the pool was becoming discolored. Yada, yada, yada, she was a nurse, I was a wounded and she patched me up.

A week later we went on our first official date. Two months later I asked her dad for permission(on the first night I’d met he and his wife) and they too took a chance and gave me their blessing. I left their home, went over the bridge and proposed on PB. I was a broker so we flew to Vegas four days later. Coming up on 16.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I met my first husband on a Tuesday "Old Wave" night at The Florida Theater in March 1995. We're not together anymore, but I mention it, because it's actually how I found this board.

When my ex and I "reencountered" in February 2021, I was killing myself trying to remember the name of the bar where we met. Some very random Google searches led me to GatorChatter and solved the mystery all at the same time. I stumbled on an old thread discussing the FT and been coming back everyday since.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I met my first husband on a Tuesday "Old Wave" night at The Florida Theater in March 1995. We're not together anymore, but I mention it, because it's actually how I found this board.

When my ex and I "reencountered" in February 2021, I was killing myself trying to remember the name of the bar where we met. Some very random Google searches led me to GatorChatter and solved the mystery all at the same time. I stumbled on an old thread discussing the FT and been coming back everyday since.
I miss Congo Craig’s on the roof of the FT

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Tell us more about this “reencounter”-
We may have follow up questions

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

I was there that night too.

Alex.

sharkbite

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2017
Met my wife on a 5 dollar bet in Naples, FL. I was at a club with my Dad and was supposed to meet another girl that night (blind date). She bailed. Saw a girl that I wanted to dance with and felt she was out of my league. My Dad bet me 5 bucks that she would dance if I asked. So, I asked. Haven't been apart since. Will be married 30 yrs this New Years Eve.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Met my wife on a 5 dollar bet in Naples, FL. I was at a club with my Dad and was supposed to meet another girl that night (blind date). She bailed. Saw a girl that I wanted to dance with and felt she was out of my league. My Dad bet me 5 bucks that she would dance if I asked. So, I asked. Haven't been apart since. Will be married 30 yrs this New Years Eve.
Very close to being an arranged marriage...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Awesome! But truthfully it’s got me thinking about the beginning of “An Officer and a Gentleman.”

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My first job after UF was in Philadelphia. I immediately find my new dropzone and form a professional skydiving team. One of the guys on my team also just relocated to the area from Pensacola and we become amazing friends. After a couple of years, his wife's bestfriend from back home comes to visit them. We all go out during her visit and the rest is history. Been married 19 years.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
BED75220-E5E3-46B4-85B6-EF5FA7D85BE3.jpeg

For those that are still looking for the right one, this might be a red flag.
Notice that none of these stories posted started with “She asked for my bank balance.”

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Good dad.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
E-Harmony back in 2008. Had just moved to Orlando and no longer into the bar scene and didn't know a soul. My wife was a few months out of the relationship she thought was the one. I had my profile to ask for photo because it kept trying to match me to a girlfriend from college so she closed me. I then sent a message with my photo unlocked, surrounded by my parents beagles and she took a chance being a huge dog lover. Had our first date a few nights later and haven't been apart since.

We've been together almost 15 years now and a few years ago I asked he if she remembered when we were comparing my out of state license to hers on the first date when we were talking about bad photos. Turns out I forgot her name halfway through the date and had to come up with a way to remember it. She laughed in the I'm going to kill you kind of way.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Met in HS, knocked her up and married 43 years next month.
2 kids
5 grands
1 great grand (5 weeks old)

Took a few years for her dad to calm down though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.