Tuesday Favorites... How do you purchase items?

How do you make (non-grocery) purchases today versus pre-covid days?

• Everything is shipped from Amazon or other online store

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Shop local as much as I can (not big box or national chains)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Walmart or other national chains

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Half online - half retail brick and mortar stores

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Only purchase ham sammiches

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
How do you make (non-grocery) purchases today versus pre-covid days?

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I make the occasional trip to the mall, Walmart, or local boutique. But the vast majority of my non-grocery purchases are made online for home delivery. I never enjoyed shopping, and I really don't enjoy the time-suck of going store to store.

My mom actually keeps a basket full of snacks and drinks on our front porch for the delivery people, because between the two of us, we have packages arriving everyday. :lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I've been searching locally for furniture but it's all expensive crap. I know people order furniture online now but it's tough to know what you will get. It's seems to be cheaply made for the price. Most of our big quality local furniture stores have closed in the last 5 years. We did it to ourselves though by buying the "cheap" Asian crap.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I've been searching locally for furniture but it's all expensive crap. I know people order furniture online now but it's tough to know what you will get. It's seems to be cheaply made for the price. Most of our big quality local furniture stores have closed in the last 5 years. We did it to ourselves though by buying the "cheap" Asian crap.
Some of the U.S. furniture manufacturers have warehouses where they store returned items that they can't sell for new. You might look into that as a possibility for purchasing "new" to you furniture. Most of it is in pretty good condition but was returned by the buyers for who knows what reason...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Still feel like big items such as furniture have to be purchased in person. But considering mostly what I buy falls into the category of dress shirt/suits or athletic clothing/shoes, it’s all online. But that was the case even before Covid.

Like Layla, I have some delivered seemingly every day. Just so much easier for my wife.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can’t remember the last time we went in a mall. Buy clothing and such mostly online. We buy occasional furniture at estate sales and such (mattresses we buy retail). Haven’t thought about it in a while, but the wife and I bought a good bit of our furniture at the Asheville NC Furniture Mart. Not sure if it’s still there, but it was several levels with outlet type stores by various manufacturers. We bought Broyhill and most of all we bought we still use (with the exception of a sofa and chair). Good selection, great prices and they shipped to FL relatively inexpensively.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I hate it but Amazon prime is hard to beat with next-day and even same-day delivery. Sitting on the couch, decide I need something, I can pick it up on the way home from work the next day or have delivered to my doorstep before I wake up (or maybe that evening). Otherwise, I try to shop local and avoid the big box stores.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Still feel like big items such as furniture have to be purchased in person. But considering mostly what I buy falls into the category of dress shirt/suits or athletic clothing/shoes, it’s all online. But that was the case even before Covid.

Like Layla, I have some delivered seemingly every day. Just so much easier for my wife.
10+ spam emails/day from Brooks Brothers gets old, am i right?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I would love to shop more locally, but they just don't have what I need in my life or are way to expensive. I probably shop more online due to stores rarely keeping their shelves stocked properly and its easier to return something to Amazon than to a brick and mortar store.

Also depends on the items as well. My kids are into things that are also sought after by collectors (Ninja Turtles, Star Wars, Transformers). I have to either buy it when I see it or pre-order it online as there are a few good stores for that. Most of the time you can't get it at Walmart or Target because the people who make a living selling jacked up stuff on Ebay make deals with the people stocking shelves to notify them when they get something.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I get the wife to do all the shopping. She’s about 50/50 between online or big box retailers. We rarely buy local because the selection usually sucks and the prices are so high it’s almost comical.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I can’t remember the last time we went in a mall. Buy clothing and such mostly online. We buy occasional furniture at estate sales and such (mattresses we buy retail). Haven’t thought about it in a while, but the wife and I bought a good bit of our furniture at the Asheville NC Furniture Mart. Not sure if it’s still there, but it was several levels with outlet type stores by various manufacturers. We bought Broyhill and most of all we bought we still use (with the exception of a sofa and chair). Good selection, great prices and they shipped to FL relatively inexpensively.

Similar story - Seedy bought a Thomasville bed for me for our wedding gift. When we went to get the rest of the matching set the retail store no longer had it so I took off to Asheville Furniture mart to find it with my BFF. There was a Thomasville outlet store over in Hickory, NC that shipped it to us for a reasonable price. At the time I was 8 months pregnant walking around Asheville and Biltmore Castle in the beginning of summer. Brutal!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We talking personal, or work purchasing? They're kinda different... :lol:

For personal, it goes kinda like this:
  1. I make money.
  2. Stuff appears at the door.
  3. For stuff that doesn't appear at the door, a list appears and I go physically get it.
  4. Repeat.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Big purchases I have to go to the store to see for myself. Some clothing in person but once I find what I like I try to buy a bunch of the same brands and will do that all online. Beats trying to find what you like and then the store not having it and you have to order it anyway. Also I can typically find better deals online…like recently I was looking to replace my Brooks running shoes and the ones I wanted were $135 in store and I found the same pair on Amazon for $80 and got it delivered the next day

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Big purchases I have to go to the store to see for myself. Some clothing in person but once I find what I like I try to buy a bunch of the same brands and will do that all online. Beats trying to find what you like and then the store not having it and you have to order it anyway. Also I can typically find better deals online…like recently I was looking to replace my Brooks running shoes and the ones I wanted were $135 in store and I found the same pair on Amazon for $80 and got it delivered the next day

Same. I find specific brands that I like(specifically dress shirts) and just order from them online because I already know what I’m getting.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I've been told hookers, drug dealers, blackmailers, arms merchants, and the Amish prefer to do business in cash.

school college GIF

iu

iu

Alex.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.