Tuesday Favorites....Let's talk shoes

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I went straight into leather dress shoes, plus @Detroitgator ’s been on my case lately, so I was hesitant to mention anything involving the word “Rainbow”. But yes, to me they’re the best flip flops. Always wore Reefs as a kid(probably because of their famous ads in Surfer magazine which I waited on all month :lol: ) but appreciate Rainbows much more as an adult.
I was a surfer punk as a kid. We all laughed at the fags that wore reefs. Rainbows or you were just a poser.

Check out floafers. I'm not lying when I tell you they have changed my life :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No bueno. My FIL has that market covered.

To your question, if you look for sales, I’ve found that Hoka’s, Brooks, Altra and Asics can all be found between 80-110. From there I really think it’s just your preference and/or needs.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was a surfer punk as a kid. We all laughed at the fags that wore reefs. Rainbows or you were just a poser.

Check out floafers. I'm not lying when I tell you they have changed my life :lol:

I’ll check them out. But didn’t you grow up in PCB? You can’t be a surfer punk and make fun of anyone when you only have waves for 45 minutes a year. :lol:

Can we just agree that there was no better way to insinuate you weren’t “interested” in a date for the school dance than wearing Tevas. My goodness, those parents who allowed that were as bad as the trans’ free spirit parents today.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Guy I know is huge and has bad foot problems, after trying inserts, surgeries and whatever else someone told him to get those, for want of a better term, sock shoes.
The ones that look like a glove for your foot, anyway, tried those and most of the pain is gone.
For me I used to get the crappy Brahmas from worlds of wallace, killed my feet. Finally bought a pair of Keen sneaker looking shoes, can go all day on a slab, walk wherever, hike etc and zero foot issues. Daily use is flip flops

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll check them out. But didn’t you grow up in PCB? You can’t be a surfer punk and make fun of anyone when you only have waves for 45 minutes a year. :lol:

Can we just agree that there was no better way to insinuate you weren’t “interested” in a date for the school dance than wearing Tevas. My goodness, those parents who allowed that were as bad as the trans’ free spirit parents today.
Believe it or not we had decent waves most days, just had to know where to go. St Andrews st Park near the outside of the jetties always produced good breaks and when there was any kid of weather coming in they'd get big. Storm surfing was a frequent summer activity.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've heard that shoes change the shape of feet.
Our toes are meant to be splayed out.
This is why I run in altras.

Foot-Shaped-Toe-Box.jpg

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Years ago I bought a pair of Sketchers work shoes. They were AWESOME! I could walk or run and my feet never hurt. When they wore out I bought another pair. Huge disappointment. I bought another pair after that thinking that the 2nd pair was a fluke. Nope, they were just as bad. I currently wear Hokas and the are ok, not great. I'm thinking about trying some of the On Clouds next time I make a shoe purchase.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Years ago I bought a pair of Sketchers work shoes. They were AWESOME! I could walk or run and my feet never hurt. When they wore out I bought another pair. Huge disappointment. I bought another pair after that thinking that the 2nd pair was a fluke. Nope, they were just as bad. I currently wear Hokas and the are ok, not great. I'm thinking about trying some of the On Clouds next time I make a shoe purchase.
I have a pair of Sketchers that I bought because of the color and the memory foam insole.
They were cheap but I can tell they won’t last long. For now they are my go-to casual shoes that I grab in a hurry.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Believe it or not we had decent waves most days, just had to know where to go. St Andrews st Park near the outside of the jetties always produced good breaks and when there was any kid of weather coming in they'd get big. Storm surfing was a frequent summer activity.

Interesting. I wouldn’t have guessed. Thought you guys were all cocaine and dive bars like Spinnackers where local girls got drunk and did cocaine.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
New Balance are the only sneakers I’ve bought for several years now. Not these…

View attachment 54147
@soflagator model (Hokas my @ss!)

Workwear are Merrells. Very comfortable for my EEE’s. I avoid dress shoes at all costs these days, but if pressed I still have a pair of Dexter Penny Loafers that I’ve had for a while.

I mentioned earlier that I prefer New Balance for running but I have advised my wife that if she ever sees me wearing shoes like these that Cover posted, she has my permission to kill me because I have lost touch with reality.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thought it was you that mentioned them once. How are they for knee/shin comfort? That’s my biggest problem area.
Short answer:

They are great for that assuming that you have decent running form.

Long answer:

From a biomechanical standpoint our feet are really remarkable in their ability to absorb the impacts of walking and running. Unfortunately with modern shoes we've added a large heel, excessive cushion, arch support, and a curved toe spring that all encourage poor mechanics, weak arches, shortened tendons, heel striking, and overuse of the plantar fascia. When faced with the long term impacts of this - plantar fasciitis, knee pain, hip pain, etc - there are generally two directions you can go: ever increasing amounts of cushion and support furthering your dependency, or a more natural/minimal shoe along with hard work on improved mechanics and foot health.

The altras are in the natural/minimal direction, but they aren't fully minimalist shoes because they have cushion and a small amount of arch support. They do have a wide toe box that allows your toes to splay naturally and they have zero drop meaning that the heel is the same height as the forefoot. This promotes a mid to forefoot strike rather than a heel strike, but you still need to actually do it. They also aren't great if you have a tendency to overpronate and they don't really do anything to encourage you not to, you have to fix that on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb