Tuesday Favorites..... TV Family

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Question. Where was Andy's wife? What is the backstory as to why he had a son and lived with Aunt Bee?
It was a common theme:
Donald Duck...his nephews lived with him apparently, Huey, Dewey and Louie.
Mickey Mouse...his nephews lived with him, Morty & Ferdie.
Beverly Hillbillies...Elly Mae and Jethro Clampett lived with Uncle Jed and Granny.
Family Affair...brother and sister living with Uncle Bill and a fat butler.
Wiz of Oz...Dorothy lived with Auntie Em and Uncle Henry.
Where are these fictional parents? Jail? Insane asylum? Shacking up somewhere? Deceased? Inquiring Minds Want to Know.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

Sheriff Andy Taylor of Mayberry, North Carolina represented the almost ideal small town Southern father for boys of my generation. My wife used to watch Andy Griffith Show reruns when our son was little. I was always "too busy" to watch them and thought the show was kind of corny for people of more modern times. Since the election of Biden my wife and I have pretty much quit watching Fox News and during the time slots of the early evening hours we watch guess what? Andy Griffith Show reruns. This time around I can still remember watching some of these shows from my childhood. It is almost shocking how politically incorrect this innocent show is by today's standards. I have a new found appreciation for some of the moral truths this show teaches plus it darn funny to boot. The show was not the same when Don Knotts who played Deputy Barney Fife left the show to pursue other theatrical interests in the movies. The show in black and white represents a nostalgic medium that was lost when the show went to the "living color" format.
Shocked this wasn't coach who posted this

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It was a common theme:
Donald Duck...his nephews lived with him apparently, Huey, Dewey and Louie.
Mickey Mouse...his nephews lived with him, Morty & Ferdie.
Beverly Hillbillies...Elly Mae and Jethro Clampett lived with Uncle Jed and Granny.
Family Affair...brother and sister living with Uncle Bill and a fat butler.
Wiz of Oz...Dorothy lived with Auntie Em and Uncle Henry.
Where are these fictional parents? Jail? Insane asylum? Shacking up somewhere? Deceased? Inquiring Minds Want to Know.
In the case of “Family Affair” I recall the kids were orphaned as the parents died in a car crash. Uncle Bill was their Dad’s brother. (No idea how that factoid lodged in the hard drive.)

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019

Ben Cartwright. I always wished he could’ve been my dad. He stood up for his kids. Other than whipping Adam’s @ss, I’d have fit in pretty well. Ben was a great father and a helluva man. He outlived three wives.
Loved Bonanza, but there's no possible way Hoss and Little Joe even remotely came from the same gene pool.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Loved Bonanza, but there's no possible way Hoss and Little Joe even remotely came from the same gene pool.
Same dad, different moms. As I recall, Hoss’ mama was a big Swedish gal and died when Hoss was little. Little Joe’s mom was a Creole from New Orleans. Forget what her fate was. She may still be serving drinks at Pat O’Brien’s.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Same dad, different moms. As I recall, Hoss’ mama was a big Swedish gal and died when Hoss was little. Little Joe’s mom was a Creole from New Orleans. Forget what her fate was. She may still be serving drinks at Pat O’Brien’s.
Ah, that settles it then. I didn't see any of the early years of Bonanza, we lived in Vicenza, Italy where my dad was stationed at the time. But when we moved to Okinawa in 1970, watching Bonanza on Japanese TV was hilarious--imagine Hoss's voice dubbed in Japanese.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ah, that settles it then. I didn't see any of the early years of Bonanza, we lived in Vicenza, Italy where my dad was stationed at the time. But when we moved to Okinawa in 1970, watching Bonanza on Japanese TV was hilarious--imagine Hoss's voice dubbed in Japanese.
He was probably a cult figure over there. American Sumo.

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
@CDGator - is your only role to ask questions? None of these have your answers.

I guess you assume all the board members are supposed to just “read your mind” like you ask of me.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

I guess you assume all the board members are supposed to just “read your mind” like you ask of me.

Ouch.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

upload_2021-6-22_9-10-33.jpeg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

After 20 years of marriage you should already know all my favorites. :shakehead:

Besides, I don't really have strong opinions. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.