Tuesday Favorites....Watches

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wore a Timex Ironman for years when I was coaching and in the weight room and gym. Used the stopwatch regularly and the Ironman was very durable (shock and sweat resistant). I got a nice Seiko for Christmas years ago (pilot’s watch) and wore it everyday when I got into an administrative role. Sadly, I quit wearing it when the band got damaged while breaking up a fight. That was also about the time I started carrying a cell phone, so I had a clock in my pocket. I kinda miss wearing a watch. It was always a sign of adulthood when I was coming along.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Used to wear a watch everyday and have several - some even nice.

I had a Fitbit I got from a vendor that I wore until the battery wouldn't hold a charge. Now I mostly just count on my cell phone for the time.

The exception is when I am hunting. I wear a Casio Pathfinder that has a compass and altimeter so I can avoid carrying those kinds of things separately.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The exception is when I am hunting. I wear a Casio Pathfinder that has a compass and altimeter so I can avoid carrying those kinds of things separately.

What exactly are you hunting that would require you to know your altitude??? I get that it's in your name and all but I don't get it.

iu

Alex.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
What exactly are you hunting that would require you to know your altitude??? I get that it's in your name and all but I don't get it.

iu

Alex.
I hunt from 8000-10000 ft most every year. Having the altimeter along with the compass make using a topo map more effective.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
2 pages in and not a single Shader Sanders reference. So disappointing.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
No interest in any apple product. Own a fitbit for step tracking but only wear it on days I walk. Don't want to wind a watch or replace batteries so I've settled on the Citizen EcoDrive. Ive had it for prolly 9 years. Four of those years it was boxed up in a drawer following a move. Unpacked it and charged it under a lamp for 3 days and it hasn't lost a beat.
My EcoDrive is my by far my cheapest watch, by far the one I wear the most, and interestingly, by far the one I get asked "Can I see that?" the most by "watch guys." I just love how clean and easy to read the face is, and in the dark, you can practically read the time from halfway across a room the way it glows. It was a gift from the South African guy I mention a lot... bought us each one at the Danish PX (Supreme) outside of Kabul. Unfortunately, because it's so old, this one only reads the radio tower in Germany if you're within a country or 4, but it keeps perfect time as long as there is a shred of light.
IMG_0664.jpg

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
My EcoDrive is my by far my cheapest watch, by far the one I wear the most, and interestingly, by far the one I get asked "Can I see that?" the most by "watch guys." I just love how clean and easy to read the face is, and in the dark, you can practically read the time from halfway across a room the way it glows. It was a gift from the South African guy I mention a lot... bought us each one at the Danish PX (Supreme) outside of Kabul. Unfortunately, because it's so old, this one only reads the radio tower in Germany if you're within a country or 4, but it keeps perfect time as long as there is a shred of light.
View attachment 65235
That looks sharp!! Mine doesn't connect to towers or anything fancy like that. Bought it on the first cruise I took with the gf. Bought her one to match mine. She never wears it since getting a freakin fitbit. Makes me grumpy.

20231214_103952.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I used to wear a traditional Raymond Weil, but now I wear no watch at all. Never got into the smart watch or fit bit stuff.

Raymond Weil is such a great watch. To me it’s the classiest women’s watch. I got my wife one a few years back before she went to Apple. As Alex said, it’s a perfect balance of really nice but not overly fancy.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Raymond Weil is such a great watch. To me it’s the classiest women’s watch. I got my wife one a few years back before she went to Apple. As Alex said, it’s a perfect balance of really nice but not overly fancy.

Until your comment, I thought is was a "lawyer thing," now....

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
On another note, I’ve owned several watches that I love, including one I got last year. In terms of keeping time and working flawlessly, though, my first ever watch purchase in early 2002, Breitling Wings, beats them all. And it was a pre owned 1999(I think) model. Almost 25 years old and works impeccably, even just being worn once or twice a year.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
On another note, I’ve owned several watches that I love, including one I got last year. In terms of keeping time and working flawlessly, though, my first ever watch purchase in early 2002, Breitling Wings, beats them all. And it was a pre owned 1999(I think) model. Almost 25 years old and works impeccably, even just being worn once or twice a year.
My Breitling is my second favorite watch after the Citizen… IMG_0665.jpeg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Yeah I was reading about that this morning.
I don't know the details but money talks and Apple will probably pay off the other company to continue to use the technology. This will probably cause a lot of panic buying for the time being though. But what do I know? :dunno:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@Detroitgator , think I told this story once, but when I was like 24 I was headed from drinks to dinner in NY and a guy on the street was offering me a Breitling Professional Emergency with the GPS tracker, so in case you were floating in the Pacific or stranded in the Sahara they could find you. Still in the box with papers, etc. The friend and I both had several Breitlings and looked for any sign of it being fake. At a minimum, it was hot, and the guy was as antsy the whole time. Long and short, for a stock broker who spent all his time in WP or NY, I just didn’t feel safe without this technology and bit. I took it to my guy in back home and he said if it was fake it was the best he’d ever seen, so it may have just been stolen. Anyway, I never really liked it and rarely wore it, and ended up losing it in a move. Pretty good irony. :lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
@Detroitgator , think I told this story once, but when I was like 24 I was headed from drinks to dinner in NY and a guy on the street was offering me a Breitling Professional Emergency with the GPS tracker, so in case you were floating in the Pacific or stranded in the Sahara they could find you. Still in the box with papers, etc. The friend and I both had several Breitlings and looked for any sign of it being fake. At a minimum, it was hot, and the guy was as antsy the whole time. Long and short, for a stock broker who spent all his time in WP or NY, I just didn’t feel safe without this technology and bit. I took it to my guy in back home and he said if it was fake it was the best he’d ever seen, so it may have just been stolen. Anyway, I never really liked it and rarely wore it, and ended up losing it in a move. Pretty good irony. :lol:
:lol: I was in Afghanistan when those watches first came out, and the fine/penalty for "pulling the pin" was no joke!

FWIW: if anyone is ever serious about getting just about ANY watch, this guy in Boca is a personal friend (and he works globally, you don't have to live in sofla): Timepiece Trader

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator