U.S. Open

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
The U.S. Open starts this morning on the toughest course in America and arguably the world. The course has received an inch of rain so far and will be playing much easier for the first day or two.

So who ya got?

I'm going with Spieth. I believe that he is over the Master's hiccup and NOBODY rolls the ball better than he does.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Jordan is a solid bet. I'd also not be surprised to see Kuchar make a run at it. He's been playing really well lately.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I will pick Adam Scott, but will be pulling for Speth. If Speth's driver cooperates, he will
win it. From fifty yards out he is the best in the game. I would like to see an American win.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like Day as well. If lefty makes the cut he'll probably have at least one round in the 80's.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Early update:
Note: about 1/2 of the field hasn't even teed off yet.
Some guy named Landry is -5 after 13
Bubba is -2 after 10
Westwood is -2 after 9
Z. Johnson is -1 after 7
Spieth is E after 7
Duff is +1 after 8
Kuchar is +1 after 10
Mac is +2 after 8
Gator Sam Horsfield is +5 after 13 - doh

Though the course may not set up well for them, my two favorites are DJ and Billy, so I'll be rooting for them.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have zip to offer on now-a-days' golf.
Back in the 70's I tried to learn golf by buying a set of clubs and going out alone,
using as my teacher just golf-swings I saw on TV. Since I lived in Blacksburg, Va
I had to learn on steep hillside unfairways with "iceberg-like" boulders protruding
along those unfairways. So, the very first time I pressed my 2nd-shot iron on the grass
behind my ball, lifted up to waggle it, the darn ball rolled 15 yards back down the hill.
Along one unfairway I was embarrassed by those gawking at me ... a herd of dairy-cows
had their heads over their fence staring at me - (cows are cutely curious).

Finally, I moved back home to Jax, FL. On a day, right after a horrendous downpour my
next door neighbor, Mr.Blackman, showed up at my door, insisting he was going to teach
me golf. His reasoning, our rough-hewn local course wouldn't be crowded due to the
marsh-mud post-storm condition. I tried to beg off -- already feeling the embarrassment.

Mr. Blackman was nattily-dressed in colorful golf attire, looking brand-spanking new.
On the first hole, as I drew back my driver I heard a gosh-awful wail. I turned towards the
emergency scream just in time to see Mr.Blackman launch his body like an cliff diver into
a 3 foot deep swamp-trough. He'd spun 'round, threw his hands upweird and dived. Apparently
my back swing frightened him into needing more separation and that put him beyond the lip
of that ditch. To his credit, we drove 20 minutes home. He changed clothes, came to my door
and recruited me again.

Later a friend insisted I play in his one-missing foursome. Being a man of my word, especially after losing 2 balls, I stood at the Tee on that Ft. George hole
where the green is on a steep cliff jutting straight up about 50 feet, I held up my last ball and announced to all, "once I lose this ball my golfing days are over". After
teeing off, I walked the rest of the course with enjoyable banter denied me while I was trying to do right at playing golf.

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rain delay
id-keep-playing.gif

caddyshake-lightening-scene-480.gif

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Corey Pavin.
True story:
I picked Pavin to win the US Open in 95 at Shinnecock Hills - I had watched the tournament the week before and Lee Janzen said that the course set up really well for his buddy, Corey Pavin. So I took that advice and phoned some friends in Vegas to put a $100 bet down for me. Can't remember the odds, but I would have netted some big cash $$. Several of us friends were watching on Sunday together and when he hit that 3-wood to about 2 feet on 18 to clinch it, I phoned my friends in Vegas. They never put the bet down thinking they'd save me $100.
:sadnanner:

That same year I had a buddy flying up to attend the Indy 500 - as he was heading out the door I screamed 'Go Jacque Villeneuve!' at him for some reason. Guess who won. After, all my friends thought I was Nastrabartus for anything sports related. It didn't last.
:sadnanner:

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Round 1 still going on - update:
Landry leads at -4 after 18
Bubba is -1 after 18
Westwood is -3 after 18
Z. Johnson is +1 after 18