UCLA fires Mora: Targeting Kelly and Butters?

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
This is a big deal. Will see but expect a lot more negative chatter this week.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It’s perhaps the ultimate little brother job. Zero modern day tradition, no on campus stadium, and not even the most popular team in its own town.

I truly don’t see UCLA as a comparable job in any respect. I also think the West Coast guy mantra is overstated. How many big names have gone there only to fail and be fired. Not saying he doesn’t go there, but if that’s the area and conference you want to be in, why not wait another year for USC to possibly be available.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
We don't know what Chip Kelly's thinking. Some of these ADs might have been sending out feelers before their coaches were even fired in anticipation of what could possibly happen in the future in order to get a jump on the opposition. So just because we are officially finding out about Mora today that doesn't mean that Chip Kelly has already known about it.

From what I have read about Chip Kelly is that he is not a conventional thinker so right now who knows where he is going to end up. He's a New Hampshire Yankee so I also wouldn't repeat the mantra that he is a West Coast guy because her ran an up-tempo offense in Eugene with a team that wore funky duck suits.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
So, if there really is a "done deal" with Kelly in place with UF....or even a mostly done deal why would the UCLA job be a concern? Is he going to suddenly say he wants to renegotiate the terms of the "alleged" deal with Florida? That wouldn't seem to be a particularly ethical thing to do.

And even Bill Belichick is not going to make UCLA a perennial top 5 team. They won't regularly compete with USC especially once the Trojans get a new real coach within the next couple of years.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Brett_McMurphy: UCLA fires Jim Mora. Is this a preemptive strike to make a run at Chip Kelly before another school gets him?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@BruceFeldmanCFB: Scariest thing UCLA could ever do in the eyes of arch rival USC is go get Chip Kelly as Bruins head coach.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dusting off a spot to sit in the SEC basement, we start the domino effect of firing inept HCs before the season ends, and now, ratcheting up the anxiety in the Vacant Head Coach Sweepstakes... with our miser, walmart minded admin of course... heeeehawww!!! Welcome to Gator Football :lol3:

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
If we lose Kelly to UCLA it won't have anything to do with salary (they won't top what we will offer) or facilities (they barely have any, they don't even have any 100 yard practice fields).

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I greatly doubt that we will be getting into a pay bidding war for anybody. I heard that Nebraska might be going triple option offense.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
UCLA is nowhere near the job that UF is. Be a huge slap in the face to us if we lose out on Chip to them.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Chip is a West Coast guy. Imagine UCLA can. Give him a good deal. I hope he comes here but UCLA has to be the favorite

Few people are in a better catbird seat than Kelly right now. He can drive the price to the moon.

One thing in our favor is the state tax issue.

Yeah, Cali income tax is through the roof. They'd have to offer 2 mil more per year.

Keep in mind that the state of California has laws that cap state employee incomes at a pre-set level so it’s not like they have a blank check. While they may have a high limit for the HC, I think It’s going to be more of an issue for the coordinators and position coaches. USC is a private school so they have that advantage over the Bruins. This is a definite advantage for us. Think about it...if you’re an assistant coach and your pay is capped by state law at say $250k per year, do you really want to work in LA where a postage stamp starter home is at least $1m AND you have to pay state income taxes? I’m sure Chip and his agent are well aware of this.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Keep in mind that the state of California has laws that cap state employee incomes at a pre-set level so it’s not like they have a blank check. While they may have a high limit for the HC, I think It’s going to be more of an issue for the coordinators and position coaches. USC is a private school so they have that advantage over the Bruins. This is a definite advantage for us. Think about it...if you’re an assistant coach and your pay is capped by state law at say $250k per year, do you really want to work in LA where a postage stamp starter home is at least $1m AND you have to pay state income taxes? I’m sure Chip and his agent are well aware of this.

A football coaches income comes from endorsement money mostly at the big schools with how those contracts are written so I would doubt that law has an affect on this but you are right about the cost of living but he might not care about that as he is married to the job with no wife now.

I hope our AD doesn't let UCLA or A&M come in and take him over us.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Let's get the token 'we didn't want Chip anyway' catharsis over with :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online