UCLA squashed by San Diego State; will Chip Kelly survive the season?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll happily report that they’re not doing well. CU demoralized them yesterday - they’ll be in shambles soon.
Yep. At the end of last year I suspected I was suspect.

Now, I am convinced my crystal ball is broken too. I wanted Frost.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
We should be very grateful at this point. If for any reason Mullen was gone tomorrow. Name
one a) attainable & b) available equal or better coach out there? Unless Saban or Dabo wants to come the Gainesville there isn't much better out there.

When your goal is to win a national championship or else then there are only going to be one coach who won a championship the previous year and if he ain't your coach, but somebody else's coach, then you ain't going to be happy. There are a lot of programs who would take Mullen in a minute. But I know we're not like a lot of programs. We're Florida. By damn we're Florida.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

He still might’ve been good here. He had connections built in Florida and it’s easier to win here than Nebraska - who wants to live there? I’m still of the opinion that he could’ve been successful but chose poorly.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He still might’ve been good here. He had connections built in Florida and it’s easier to win here than Nebraska - who wants to live there? I’m still of the opinion that he could’ve been successful but chose poorly.
We don’t play a G5 schedule though.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

I, too, was in the “hire Frost camp”, and while it might be too early to know for sure, right now, CDM looks like the better hire. (It’s tough to know for sure as UF certainly had a better roster and, coming from another school in state, he might have had better relationships developed around the state for recruiting purposes.). I didn’t want Kelly as I thought there were several red flags. Flag #1 was his firing by the Eagles. After back to back 10-6 seasons he was fired after game 15 in a season where he was 6-9. Flag #2 was the show cause from his time at Oregon. It had expired by December ‘17, but it was troubling to me. Flag #3 was how quickly he was run out of SF. Flag #4 was the fact he’s not married. This may seem silly, but I think the Head Coach’s wife plays an important role. Taken in total, I was definitely viewing him as a bad choice.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
First article I've seen talking about how much it will cost to move on from Chip Kelly:

Chip Kelly's UCLA Contract: Salary, Buyout, and Bonuses

Chip Kelly's UCLA Contract: Salary, Buyout, and Bonuses

After a six-year sabbatical, Chip Kelly returned to college football in December, signing a five-year, $23.3-million contract as UCLA head coach. Less than two years later, things aren't great in Westwood.

Kelly's return has started with 11 losses in his first 14 games, the most recent of which was a Week 2 loss to San Diego State that put UCLA at 0-2 as they seek to avoid a second straight 0-5 start. And although Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times said this week on the High Motor podcast that Kelly's job is safe, let's look at the five-year contract.

Kelly's base salary is only $300,000 per year for each of the five years, though there's an annual "talent fee" for participating in public appearances, fundraising events and other functions. The talent fee starts at $3 million. Total salary (base plus talent fee) for each year:

2019: $3.3 million

2020: $3.5 million

2021: $4.3 million

2022: $4.6 million

2023: $4.6 million

Kelly is eligible for three $1-million retention bonuses, each owed if he's still head coach through Feb. 15, 2021, Feb. 15, 2022, and Jan. 1, 2023. And he can earn more than $1 million per year in on- and off-the-field bonuses. Among the on-field bonuses:

Top 10 in final AP top 25: $25,000

Pac-12 Coach of the Year: $50,000

Pac-12 Championship appearance: $50,000

Pac-12 Championship win: $50,000

National Coach of the Year: $100,000

New Year's Six Bowl: $100,000

New Year's Six Bowl win: $100,000

CFP semifinal appearance: $100,000

CFB national championship appearance: $150,000

National championship win: $200,000

Chip Kelly's buyout is simple: If fired without cause during the first four years of the contract, he is owed $9 million. That's far less than the $12 million buyout owed to former head coach Jim Mora, who in 2017 collected 80 percent of his remaining salary in a contract that ran through the 2021 season.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Fun Fact: Thus far in their new positions, Scott Frost, Willie Taggart, and Chip Kelly have combined for 14 victories. In that same time frame, CDM has 12.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
UCLA's Kelly not panicking despite 0-2 start

LOS ANGELES -- Despite an 0-2 start behind an offense that ranks 119th or worse nationally in scoring, rushing and total offense, UCLA coach Chip Kelly said he isn't hitting the panic button with the Bruins.

"There's never a panic button," Kelly said before UCLA's practice on Monday. "You have to have a good Monday, and if you have a good Monday that leads to [other good practices] as the week goes along, and that's what the process is all about.

"You don't tear up the root of the tree to see if it's growing. You just keep watering it and you keep growing it and doing what you're supposed to do, and that's what happens over the course of time.".....

"You're just one [play] off or two off," Kelly said. "Sometimes it's a receiver maybe with a drop, or then it's a protection breakdown or then we miss on something. We just need to be more consistent. I think that's what all teams at this point in time are striving for. We've proven that we can do it in both weeks, it's just a matter of doing it on a consistent basis.

:lol:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've got a Fever, and the only prescription is putting Chip Kelly posts in the Chip Kelly thread.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
UCLA's Kelly not panicking despite 0-2 start

LOS ANGELES -- Despite an 0-2 start behind an offense that ranks 119th or worse nationally in scoring, rushing and total offense, UCLA coach Chip Kelly said he isn't hitting the panic button with the Bruins.

"There's never a panic button," Kelly said before UCLA's practice on Monday. "You have to have a good Monday, and if you have a good Monday that leads to [other good practices] as the week goes along, and that's what the process is all about.

"You don't tear up the root of the tree to see if it's growing. You just keep watering it and you keep growing it and doing what you're supposed to do, and that's what happens over the course of time.".....

"You're just one [play] off or two off," Kelly said. "Sometimes it's a receiver maybe with a drop, or then it's a protection breakdown or then we miss on something. We just need to be more consistent. I think that's what all teams at this point in time are striving for. We've proven that we can do it in both weeks, it's just a matter of doing it on a consistent basis.

:lol:
Is it just me or does this sound like something Butch Jones would have said when he was at Tinerc.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Why would he panic? He’s rich. This is all gravy. Dude could care less about coaching. Probably just needed a cash infusion.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody gives a shyt about UCLA football so why panic. They probably don’t even know it’s football season out in la la land.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Probably figures there's no reason to panic because you only need to go 8-8 to get in the playoffs. If they don't, they'll just hire new personnel and give it another go next year. Stuck in the mediocrity of the NFL.

I wonder if he dodged UF's offer due to the killer championship expectations? Figured no one would give a crap at UCLA as he phoned it in hoping it works. If it doesn't, well ****, I still got paid. No fan death threats.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
If he goes 6-6 he gets a multi-million dollar raise and a contract extension. If he finishes above .500, he gets a Hollywood Star on the sidewalk. Such is the life of a mediocre college football coach. Just ask Butters and Mushchump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb