Gator Baseball UF Baseball

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Gators beat Yale Friday night 6-5 to improve their record to 11-5. Tommy Mace was moved to being the Friday night starter, and on a little bit shorter rest pitched 6.1 innings and gave up 4 runs, but improved to 4-0. Hunter Ruth retired the 5 batters he faced and Nolan Crisp got his 7th save, although he gave up 2 hits, a run and had a throwing error in the 9th. Maldanado had 2 hits, a HR and 3 RBI's, McConnell hit a HR, Fabian, Young, Smith and Calilao also had 2 hits.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This team has to correct the errors. At this point last season, over half of their games had no errors. This season, we’ve had 2.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
This team has to correct the errors. At this point last season, over half of their games had no errors. This season, we’ve had 2.
Agree. 21 errors in 16 games is not the O'Sullivan way. Our fielding percentage right now is .965, worst in the SEC. That will lead to some losses in key games if not corrected.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Too close for comfort against an IVY league school, but it is baseball. You touched on it with the errors, but I don;t see it changing. The infield defense is horrendous. The fact that McConnell is booting extremely easy, routine balls is a problem. He was supposed to be an excellent defensive SS, but so far that is not the case. Our 2B is an outfielder with an overhand throwing motion that they are trying to convert to 2B b/c he has been hitting. I get that, but defensively you sacrifice a lot. This team will have to score more than in the past b/c Mace and Leftwich usually throw strikes so balls will be put in play. But for sure the defense has to improve for them to make a run in the SEC.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They are young and it's a long season.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Hunter Ruth retired the 5 batters he faced

His Dad and I are good friends- frat bros back in the day.
He said his kid somehow turned out to be 3-4 inches taller than him and has been working out religiously to put on the lbs.
Hope he can be a good addition to the rotation as the season progresses.

solarman

Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2014
The SEC Network Plus camera work for the game today sucks. Only 1 camera angle and I think a 6 year old must be running it.
The team is looking good so far.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
They don't have a camera in centerfield like they usually do. Trying to save money this weekend I guess. Just the 1 camera in the press box. Team is overall playing well.Yale has a pretty good lineup and the pitcher last night is supposed to be the best in the Ivy League. The true mettle of this team starts Tuesday vs. FSU, the Miss. St. next weekend, JU, then at Vandy. Let's see how we stand after that stretch.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gators WIN 15-1. Another big offensive explosion for the Gators. Pitching stellar in this one with Leftwich improving to 4-0 on the season. UF pitching had 8 SOs and only 2 walks. Bullpen came in and allowed no runs or hits. Gators did have one error and I know that will ruin someone's night and I don't know how we will get through the night having nightmares about it. Go Gators!!

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Gators did have one error and I know that will ruin someone's night and I don't know how we will get through the night having nightmares about it. Go Gators!!

This is being overly dramatic. The massive amount of errors is going to cost them games in SEC play because against good teams, those errors lead to runs. It is a huge problem that probably isn't going to be fixed. I'm more concerned about the midweek pitching as it has been dreadful. To me, this season is about building towards a natty run in 2020 and 2021.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They ONLY had one error TODAY. So for TODAY they played good and the defense was pretty good. Tomorrow could be a different story but they also could be getting better so we will see how it all plays out.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sully's teams are known for defense. I'm sure he's working on solving the problem. This season, I'm looking for improvement in midweek and on D because this team is loaded with talent. I really do think we have a shot at a 2nd natty in the next 2 seasons. It is going to be fun to watch.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We won't win the NC this season and I don't even know if we will even make the CWS. Its how do these young guys grow and develop this season to set up the next couple of seasons when we gain valuable experience and rake in more top recruits. Go Gators!!

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Good to see the bats going well, but the next 2 weeks will tell a lot more when the quality of competition gets amped up considerably., starting with FSU Tuesday night, then Miss. St., for 3, JU and at Vandy for 3.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Gators beat Yale Sunday 4-3 to improve to 13-5. Tyler Dyson had his best control of the year, going 5.1 innings, throwing 75 pitches, but he gave up a solo HR and a 2-run HR to the same guy. Hunter Ruth was tremendous in relief, going 3.2 innings, allowing 1 hit with 5 K's while picking up his 1st save. Gator runs were scored on a 2-run double from Jordan Butler in the 1st and solo HR's by Jud Fabian in the 2nd and 4th.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was out there today and that was a good baseball game. Gotta give kudos to Yale. They played us very tough in 2 games and today they had a 10+ ERA guy start and he threw over 110 pitches. Yale also had the best baseball player on the entire field this weekend, their leadoff hitter and shortstop. That guy can do it all and he would look awesome at 2B for us, but obviously a very smart kid who chose an IVY league degree but he can play SEC ball. For us, Dyson was much better today, as Ocala mentioned. Found the strike zone more consistently, although did not always locate great. But for Dyson step 1 is to throw strikes and once he has found that rhythm, he can then concentrate on location. Fabian with 2 more dingers. That kid is a player. His defense is enough for me, but the fact he is hitting makes him invaluable to this team. Ruth was awesome out of the pen. Glad Sully stuck with him and did not go to Crisp. I don;t think we really need a "said" closer and to be honest, Ruth throws much harder than Crisp and probably is more of a closer. But I love that Crisp is always around the plate, but he will get touched up occasionally as we have seen. It is an excellent problem to have that's for sure. Real season starts this week when the :nole::nole::nole: come to town, but that game is not nearly as important as getting off to a good start in SEC play when Cowbell comes to the Mac!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator