Gator Basketball UF beats #4 Auburn in Basketball

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Some on the board seemed to think that I was nuts the other night talking about Mizzou using little pushes to destroy our timing on rebounds. The color man talked about it today when one of our players got called for it. He said all it takes is a nudge.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
We shot better and Payne was huge, but we still have a ton of possessions with the point guard dribbling along the top of the arc for 15 seconds while the clock runs out, especially when Glover or Mann run the point.

Even if offense is tough to watch, winning is always great.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
We shot better and Payne was huge, but we still have a ton of possessions with the point guard dribbling along the top of the arc for 15 seconds while the clock runs out, especially when Glover or Mann run the point.

Some but that has improved greatly.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is the team we thought they could be all year. This second half has been superb.

If White gets coaching credit for how these Gators played against a consensus top-10 team, does it mean this one game we played like the #6 consensus team experts said White had at the start of the season? Reasonable expectation: 6'10" extra-reach Payne today showed Mike White that he has a team worth him getting motivated over. Practices from now on ought to be about : who else can jack up their play. =
1) tightly attend to your passing & to your receiving. Those two play together at all times.
2) notice when your teammate ball handler is getting closed in on & go to be an outlet for him, thwarting the opponent's plan & keeping the flow.
3) look for the high-hand of Payne, Blackshear when they head for the basket. Often the give & go isn't even looked for. Just the threat even if fake bumbles the defense causing other scoring opportunities.
4) do not wastefully stand still in one dead spot.
5) I'd like to see quicker more forceful dribbling. That makes your drives faster, more effective, increases open mates to dish to.
6) Drink plenty of orange juice & don't get the flu.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

While the clock is squandered and the opposing defense has time to set against your point of attack. That is a big flaw that allows entrapment unto TOs. Stop it I say.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking only for myself, even if we win the East, the SEC and get to the sweet 16, Mike White is not a Great Coach and UF should have a Great Coach!

But: If we win the NC this year, I may have a change of heart.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What a hothead, Auburn's coach is a runaway brucefire.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I obviously didn’t watch this game – but what a great win for the team. None of us are sold on white, but this is a great win no matter what anybody thinks. We’ll see if he can carry the momentum – and if he can – this could end up being pretty good season.

as usual, KB studded out.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Vegas...do they know their **** or what?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
And Duke is on the ropes again…

So I am watching the end of that Duke UofL game and Duke comes up with a loose ball with 25 seconds left, down 3 and what do they do? Of course they come down and fire up the first 3 that a guy sees, airball, basically game over. It astounds me how every team is oblivious to the concept of "Extend the game". Your down 3 20+ seconds to play, go to the basket and get a quick 2. The team in the lead is not going to come close to fouling and you get a quick 2, now down 1. maybe you can get a steal, but even if you have to foul and they make both, you are still only down 3. "Extend the game" left basketball many years ago and whether it is the top ranked teams, or the lowest ranked teams, it is a lost art. Physically practicing the mental aspects of the game is not part of the practice schedule anymore.

Meanwhile I occasionally switched over to UT-Vandy and I knew Vandy was bad and they lost a very good player recently, but when did UT go from good to awful. ? I knew they lost a lot from last year but I did not know they were this bad. Sorry Rick, no tourney this year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Only got to watch bits and pieces during the game. Initial thoughts were:

1. Oh-my PAYNE! Wife said he got the game ball, and I had to explain to my daughter that 'no, they dont actually give him the ball'. But he was great today. Loved seeing it from him.

2. At one point in the first half there's a graphic put up = FL has 10 made baskets & 10 turn overs. We were winning at the time, so I just had to chuckle and assume AUB couldn't make shots (I saw them missing a lot of them).

3. Payne had a coming out, but Glover and Mann continue to earn more minutes, and while shaky at times they are improving each game.

Nice win for the team. Great play out of the underclassmen (especially Payne). I'll actually look up when the next game is and maybe actually, you know, watch it. Live even.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If White is anywhere near a decent coach, he will make his team build off the realization that Payne's step forward illustrates.
Positioning is important when coupled with the readiness to act. Still could use a collapse into the basket when one of our speedsters drives; we need more drives to cause the opponent to backpedal stumbly-like. Create mistakes in them.

How will White modify the practices which couldn't have been correct previously anyway?? Do not backslide on the essentials expected from a good team. Do not let these budding young stars down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator