Gator Basketball UF beats Ole Miss 90-86 in OT

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@barstoolsports: A UF girl matched with an Ole Miss basketball player on Tinder then printed out their texts and passed them out to the student section before the game Barstool Sports

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Differently, Allen drove a lot more tonight. Wound up 8-8 FTs but was 1-7 on 3s. I think Locke was 6-11 on 3s.
Total scoring Locke 22 ..... Allen 21 .... Johnson 15 = that's a good top 3. Johnson brought our game inside for a change. We are out of practice at this style but it made us a better team this night. This time we made the opposing team collapse. Because we have not practice this with intensity and belief, we were clumsy and new to it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We still play a "loser's" style of b-ball, tunnel vision for 35% FGs over efforts for 65% FGs. A higher blend of 65% FG is what opposing teams use to beat us. Tonight, thanks to Johnson + Allen's driving in, we took more shots of the 65% nature and Allen drew 8 fouls and made 8 for 8. It's the first game I've ever seen Gators put their opposing stars in jeopardy of fouling out. Next game more driving may foul out opponent's stars. Play tough bball, White.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm really starting to blame Mike White because Stokes is a real good player and he shouldn't be on the bench

I don't see him getting double digit minutes unless both Bassett and Hayes are in foul trouble.
I like Stones on offense because he has a solid low post game, and is good at getting points
in the paint. The reason he isn't getting more PT is because he lacks lateral quickness which
causes us problems on defense. All it takes is one screen and he's beat for an easy lay-up. We switch
from 1 to 5 and that causes problems on defense when he's in the game.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It was amazing to me that at one point during the first half, the lineup we had on the floor was Nembhard, Okauru, Hudson, Bassett, and Ballard. Spoiler alert: it wasn't a good stretch. :lol:

Great job by the guys to finally win a close one this year (which makes us 1-5 in games decided by 5 or fewer points). Allen was due on that late 3, he had too good of a game to not knock that shot down.

I was also thrilled to see us attacking the rim more often last night. It's funny how the offensive production improves when you start taking higher percentage shots.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Wins game....

.....fans still unhappy....

:facepalm:

How’d this facepalming of fans who were seeing problems during wins in the Muschamp (especially 2012) and Mac eras work out? Just winning a single game doesn’t absolve all problems that are easily recognizable.

:facepalm: does seem like the right emoticon to your statement though, so maybe it was just a self-reflective point.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I don't see him getting double digit minutes unless both Bassett and Hayes are in foul trouble.
I like Stones on offense because he has a solid low post game, and is good at getting points
in the paint. The reason he isn't getting more PT is because he lacks lateral quickness which
causes us problems on defense. All it takes is one screen and he's beat for an easy lay-up. We switch
from 1 to 5 and that causes problems on defense when he's in the game.

Agreed with everything here, but still think White should scheme to get him involved. Stokes is a bull down low and tough to stop. His first touch of the bball was him isolated one on one down low: one dribble, lowered the shoulder to create a bit of space, and then an easy finish down low. None of our other bigs give us that. Hayes and Bassett are far better at hustle and effort, but neither is going to be a post scorer...and having one on the team greatly opens up a lot of our perimeter options.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How’d this facepalming of fans who were seeing problems during wins in the Muschamp (especially 2012) and Mac eras work out? Just winning a single game doesn’t absolve all problems that are easily recognizable.

:facepalm: does seem like the right emoticon to your statement though, so maybe it was just a self-reflective point.

I agree. Discussing the broader implications and the balance of the season is not complaining. It’s called looking ahead which I guess can be a problem when your hand is stuck to your face

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Thank you for volunteering to be the poster child for my point. Some of you simply can’t help yourselves, even to the point of being incapable of stopping the incessant whining long enough to enjoy a win, no matter how it happened.

It’s ok though, the world needs all kinds to go ‘round.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. Discussing the broader implications and the balance of the season is not complaining. It’s called looking ahead which I guess can be a problem when your hand is stuck to your face

Or if your head is lodged, from time to time, up your ass.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Unfortunately, there are plenty of opportunities to point out the Gators' problems during and after losses. I'll take the opportunity after this win to enjoy it as much as I can, though it is difficult to not play the "what if" game after either a win or a loss

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I was also thrilled to see us attacking the rim more often last night. It's funny how the offensive production improves when you start taking higher percentage shots.

Sass describes us, for once, looking to get the ball inside. Besides the better scoring from 65% shots, we almost got 3 of their starters fouled out. That is the reward besides more points that aggressive inside play brings. Also, we shoot more FTs. We hit a good % of our FT last night thanks to Allen's (8/8), Hayes (3/3), and Locke (2/2). Those are 100% shots.

Just winning a single game doesn’t absolve all problems that are easily recognizable.

... easily recognizable and a dire necessity to drill-correct in every practice.
... from the beginning of the whole season, Stokes had to be instructed & used in games. He wasn't made integral to our game-schemes. OMG, a kid who needs learning -- what's a coach do with that?
... "big-man" play = Miss out rebounded us 44 to 27.
... we just observed the Gators attack the rim more numerous times than is our style, than is White's style. We got winning results over a 14-5 team, even though it was a style unfamiliar (i.e. unpractised, unemphasized unto confidence). Applying a balance of inside outside Offense is the way we should have drilled in since before the season began.
... K.Johnson drove tonight for 15 points. Now White needs to attend to that and rally the other players to play aggressively toward the rim.

Will this success style be dropped or built in by practicing with driving intent?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Sass describes us, for once, looking to get the ball inside. Besides the better scoring from 65% shots, we almost got 3 of their starters fouled out. That is the reward besides more points that aggressive inside play brings. Also, we shoot more FTs. We hit a good % of our FT last night thanks to Allen's (8/8), Hayes (3/3), and Locke (2/2). Those are 100% shots.

... easily recognizable and a dire necessity to drill-correct in every practice.
... from the beginning of the whole season, Stokes had to be instructed & used in games. He wasn't made integral to our game-schemes. OMG, a kid who needs learning -- what's a coach do with that?
... "big-man" play = Miss out rebounded us 44 to 27.
... we just observed the Gators attack the rim more numerous times than is our style, than is White's style. We got winning results over a 14-5 team, even though it was a style unfamiliar (i.e. unpractised, unemphasized unto confidence). Applying a balance of inside outside Offense is the way we should have drilled in since before the season began.
... K.Johnson drove tonight for 15 points. Now White needs to attend to that and rally the other players to play aggressively toward the rim.

Will this success style be dropped or built in by practicing with driving intent?
There was not as much standing around last night. When people are moving things open up and drives to the basket become more common and from anywhere, not just from the point when the whole defense expects it,

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Wins game....

.....fans still unhappy....

:facepalm:

Normally I would agree with you, and YES there were some highlights to enjoy - mainly that we have some freshmen bringing excitement to the game.

However, without seeing White I could literally SEE the moment when the team was told to slow the offense down... and within seconds, ol piss grabbed 2 steals and UF lost what little bit of control they had over the game with 2:30ish(?) left in the game. Allen sunk his first 3 of night in the nick of time (0:02.7), or we’re talking about another inexplicable loss at home.

And most around here call me a pumper.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It is very difficult for any Gator player to insert a style of play not respected by your coach - especially a freshman.
So, did KJohnson demo good inside play consistently enough to make it dawn on White to encourage going toward more inside attacks? Was that HC White's delayed learning on the job when shown by a freshman? Will newly really practicing this more balance attack get a fair shake from White in preparations or do we return to launchpad faraway shoot, just shoot? Our future success depends on this inside/outside play becoming well rehearsed during practices. Time is running out for us to become the team that we have been capable of being.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Normally I would agree with you, and YES there were some highlights to enjoy - mainly that we have some freshmen bringing excitement to the game.

However, without seeing White I could literally SEE the moment when the team was told to slow the offense down... and within seconds, ol piss grabbed 2 steals and UF lost what little bit of control they had over the game with 2:30ish(?) left in the game. Allen sunk his first 3 of night in the nick of time (0:02.7), or we’re talking about another inexplicable loss at home.

And most around here call me a pumper.

Yup. As soon as we went up 7 in OT we hit the brakes allowing Ole Miss to get right back in the game. Wish White preached the message Mullen preaches to his guys- “Fast. Physical. Aggressive.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.