Gator Basketball UF beats Ole Miss 90-86 in OT

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
It is very difficult for any Gator player to insert a style of play not respected by your coach - especially a freshman.
So, did KJohnson demo good inside play consistently enough to make it dawn on White to encourage going toward more inside attacks? Was that HC White's delayed learning on the job when shown by a freshman? Will newly really practicing this more balance attack get a fair shake from White in preparations or do we return to launchpad faraway shoot, just shoot? Our future success depends on this inside/outside play becoming well rehearsed during practices. Time is running out for us to become the team that we have been capable of being.
This deep into the season and so many questions. Stone's injury may have one positive effect. Fewer players get more PT and can find a rhythm. Who knows?:dunno:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Here is my take on this team and that win. Our best bet this year being so handicapped with the inside game is we have to play like five Havliceks out there, Move move move.........Allen driving is a real good idea as he can hit FTs well. But sometimes it aint there. All my eggs are in that next year basket. He has some great talent on the way and perhaps some of our injured bigs will FINALLY be healthy. To me any more wins is just icing. Now if by some miracle they start hitting a high % of threes, Hudson regains his old form and we have some luck I will be thrilled but my excitement is for next year................

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It is very difficult for any Gator player to insert a style of play not respected by your coach - especially a freshman.
So, did KJohnson demo good inside play consistently enough to make it dawn on White to encourage going toward more inside attacks? Was that HC White's delayed learning on the job when shown by a freshman? Will newly really practicing this more balance attack get a fair shake from White in preparations or do we return to launchpad faraway shoot, just shoot? Our future success depends on this inside/outside play becoming well rehearsed during practices. Time is running out for us to become the team that we have been capable of being.

But it is easy not to play hard and wilt in the final minutes of the game. Coach has been talking on how hard it is to get them motivated to play as he wants them to.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A good settled basketball coach "gets" his players to play how he wants, how he designs the plays; that's what he teaches them in practice after repetitive practice. These Gators have been losing by playing White's way. Then versus Ole Miss our play-style changed by switching on the desire and intent to move much of the scoring inside the arc. Remember, White said publicly: 'I've tried to get through to them. I don't know what to do.' Remember when miked-up in that waning moments of a game we trailed slightly White's words: "Shoot, shoot, shoot." ??

Against Ole Miss Allen, Johnson and others went inside, shown by Ole Miss starters getting foul trouble, one fouled out, two others had 4 fouls. Put opponents into shy-playing foul trouble and our ability to score increases. We've never used that as a tactic. Players' confidence & boldness increases. I wonder if White & Pinkin will drill this into our guys in practices. These Gators along with White have a lot to catch up learning =
1) Stop lazy-passing, fire the ball, make the D chase it, lagging behind.
1.5) Pound in the ideal of gripping the ball super-tight.
2) Every minute "want" to get the ball near the basket, by quick-drive or feed a "moving" teammate.
3) Make the defender foul you.
4) Move through the basket, in and out,constantly.
5) When the D collapses take a "set & squared-up 3 ... mostly Locke and Allen.
6) Hudson should only be allowed driving layups, be used as a foul-collector. if Hudson fouls out, that's good.
7) Early Billy-Ball, Gator D used to flail-about their hands 'flustrating' the ball handler's concentration.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I get what Rogd is saying but I think the BB team is a little like the football team was at many times in the last decade or so. Keep playing great Def with their hair on fire but the offense is just not there. Being human after all they figure its like chasing your tail. If you can barely score you are screwed. There are few times a BB team can go wire to wire with hair on fire def. You gotta have 10 players in the rotation for sure. And opposing coaches can be good enough at times to exploit that frantic and over playing def. Bottom line is we NEED SOME BIGS Inside and you cannot coach size. It would take MUCH pressure off the outside shooting and give them better looks, too.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
you cannot coach size.

Taken inch by inch you cannot coach more inches on a guy, but many coaches coach up "big-guy" play-style.
Pinkin is our "new-hire" big man coach. If we had Hakeem Olajuwon coaching our inside play would be fine as a mainstay of our scoring. In K.Johnson we have a 6'5" guy that gets "big-man" results. Because of his superb vertical-leap, he trained (coached) himself to be an inside player before he got to UF.

Now once a big like Payne comes to UF, if White steers his players to think outside shots are what the team most needs, then Payne won't get coached up. He'll be coached down.; that attitude-coaching will pit 4 teammates not working to elevate Payne's game -- they will minimize his abilities. There seems to be floating around the idea that once White gets next year's star players, then White becomes a good coach.??

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Taken inch by inch you cannot coach more inches on a guy, but many coaches coach up "big-guy" play-style.
Pinkin is our "new-hire" big man coach. If we had Hakeem Olajuwon coaching our inside play would be fine as a mainstay of our scoring. In K.Johnson we have a 6'5" guy that gets "big-man" results. Because of his superb vertical-leap, he trained (coached) himself to be an inside player before he got to UF.

Now once a big like Payne comes to UF, if White steers his players to think outside shots are what the team most needs, then Payne won't get coached up. He'll be coached down.; that attitude-coaching will pit 4 teammates not working to elevate Payne's game -- they will minimize his abilities. There seems to be floating around the idea that once White gets next year's star players, then White becomes a good coach.??

Where’s our inside scoring Rog? Who are they? Simple question. Answer: we got none. You keep typing out Basketball Theory 101. Literally hundreds of times. That’s step 1. Step 2 is having the personnel to fill the roles. We ain’t got em. Maybe next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator