UF Class of 2024

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
My daughter got her acceptance into the University of Florida, class of 2024 last night. Anybody else here have a high school senior who applied? She was overjoyed with emotion when she went into the app and saw the letter.

She's my oldest so my first go around with college. Any tips on next steps would be appreciated.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Congrats! #3 got in as well. As for tips, I've posted a ton somewhere here when GBM had one accepted. I'll try to find it.
20200228_180437.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
@GatorFL

I sent this out to Taybang for his son, I think I have more...

Here is the thing you'll find, EVERYTHING is done online and it's not all in one place... there are about three different places that your son (and you guys to monitor things like payments due and any holds on the account, let alone what's going on with classes) will have to log in to get things done. Here's a couple of things you'll need to do right off the bat, some of which are probably in the preview checklists:

• Formally accept and pay the deposit (or whatever it's called).
  • If he's going to live in the dorms, pay the housing deposit. Hopefully he applied for UF as early as possible as housing selection times are totally based on "first applied/first choice."
  • Figure out which Preview session you are going to because that's when he will register for his Fall classes. They say that it doesn't matter whether you go to the first session or the last, that they allocate course section slots for each Preview class, but I don't believe that for a second and recommend going to the earliest (if not first) Preview session offered this summer.
  • For that class registration session at Preview, ONLY your son will be with the "advisor", you are not allowed. Therefore, you need to do the following BEFORE going to Preview... please trust me on this:
    • He only needs 12 credit hours to be full time. A lot of classes at UF now are 4 credit hours, so he might only need (and I would advise) to actually be enrolled in 3 classes (4 max) that first semester at UF. I highly recommend that if he can get away with it because with it being first semester, football season, Rush if he's rushing.... you want to set him up for success with the most manageable workload possible.
    • That said, for both our sons at Preview, we registered them for between 15-17 credit hours because you have plenty of time before classes start to drop anything you decide you don't want. It gives you more flexibility. So register for 15-17, then drop and actually be enrolled for 12-14.
    • Don't just pick the courses he wants to register for ahead of time... you will be able to see all the actual SECTIONS for each course online before you go to preview. So, identify the courses and who is teaching them on the UF website, then go to www.ratemyprofessor.com and you can find almost all of the professors and find the easiest/best fit for you guys. Then go back to the UF website and make your list for registration with each course (e.g., ECO2013) AND at lease three SECTION numbers for that course that has the teacher you liked.
    • When your son goes into see the advisor at Preview to actually register, he should take his cheat sheet with course and section numbers, and then tell him to be very polite but VERY direct and saying "Please, I want THIS course with THIS section number"... and if none of your sections are available, we recommend not taking the class that semester... that's why you want to have two or three "plan b's" for registration or why you can register for say 17 hours that day, then drop what you want online at home.
    • The single most important thing he'll do at Preview is that 10 minutes with the "advisor." And I'm tellin ya, the "advisor" is just trying to jam kids though registration and will push him around if he's not prepared. Actual advisors in the colleges are much better, but Preview is a cattle process for registration.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My daughter got her acceptance into the University of Florida, class of 2024 last night. Anybody else here have a high school senior who applied? She was overjoyed with emotion when she went into the app and saw the letter.

She's my oldest so my first go around with college. Any tips on next steps would be appreciated.

I would buy a hard copy of her current University Catalog if still available....it has all the current requirements for her major and they will change over time with grandfather protection if you have a hard copy I would think.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
@GatorFL

Look for this thread title here in the Lounge (or search for it). It's where we had a whole conversation about this for GBM's son. And if you have any questions about anything, feel free to PM me.
UF Orientation, er......”Preview\

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for this, I had actually looked it up last night. Great info for sure.
@GatorFL

I sent this out to Taybang for his son, I think I have more...

Here is the thing you'll find, EVERYTHING is done online and it's not all in one place... there are about three different places that your son (and you guys to monitor things like payments due and any holds on the account, let alone what's going on with classes) will have to log in to get things done. Here's a couple of things you'll need to do right off the bat, some of which are probably in the preview checklists:

• Formally accept and pay the deposit (or whatever it's called).
  • If he's going to live in the dorms, pay the housing deposit. Hopefully he applied for UF as early as possible as housing selection times are totally based on "first applied/first choice."
  • Figure out which Preview session you are going to because that's when he will register for his Fall classes. They say that it doesn't matter whether you go to the first session or the last, that they allocate course section slots for each Preview class, but I don't believe that for a second and recommend going to the earliest (if not first) Preview session offered this summer.
  • For that class registration session at Preview, ONLY your son will be with the "advisor", you are not allowed. Therefore, you need to do the following BEFORE going to Preview... please trust me on this:
    • He only needs 12 credit hours to be full time. A lot of classes at UF now are 4 credit hours, so he might only need (and I would advise) to actually be enrolled in 3 classes (4 max) that first semester at UF. I highly recommend that if he can get away with it because with it being first semester, football season, Rush if he's rushing.... you want to set him up for success with the most manageable workload possible.
    • That said, for both our sons at Preview, we registered them for between 15-17 credit hours because you have plenty of time before classes start to drop anything you decide you don't want. It gives you more flexibility. So register for 15-17, then drop and actually be enrolled for 12-14.
    • Don't just pick the courses he wants to register for ahead of time... you will be able to see all the actual SECTIONS for each course online before you go to preview. So, identify the courses and who is teaching them on the UF website, then go to www.ratemyprofessor.com and you can find almost all of the professors and find the easiest/best fit for you guys. Then go back to the UF website and make your list for registration with each course (e.g., ECO2013) AND at lease three SECTION numbers for that course that has the teacher you liked.
    • When your son goes into see the advisor at Preview to actually register, he should take his cheat sheet with course and section numbers, and then tell him to be very polite but VERY direct and saying "Please, I want THIS course with THIS section number"... and if none of your sections are available, we recommend not taking the class that semester... that's why you want to have two or three "plan b's" for registration or why you can register for say 17 hours that day, then drop what you want online at home.
    • The single most important thing he'll do at Preview is that 10 minutes with the "advisor." And I'm tellin ya, the "advisor" is just trying to jam kids though registration and will push him around if he's not prepared. Actual advisors in the colleges are much better, but Preview is a cattle process for registration.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Congrats! #3 got in as well. As for tips, I've posted a ton somewhere here when GBM had one accepted. I'll try to find it.
Congrats D & @GatorFL !

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016

Congrats. I have 3 sons who got in for class of 2024, too. We’ve heard shockingly few reports of others in our extended circle getting in. Tough times.

As I posted in another thread, all 3 of my guys are actually leaning towards the UCF Honors College, but one is a bit more set on UF. We have some questions about the student experience at UF these days. Talk of students treated more and more like numbers, etc. I’m no expert and certainly don’t mean to cast aspersions at my beloved alma mater. We’ll see.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Congrats. I have 3 sons who got in for class of 2024, too. We’ve heard shockingly few reports of others in our extended circle getting in. Tough times.

As I posted in another thread, all 3 of my guys are actually leaning towards the UCF Honors College, but one is a bit more set on UF. We have some questions about the student experience at UF these days. Talk of students treated more and more like numbers, etc. I’m no expert and certainly don’t mean to cast aspersions at my beloved alma mater. We’ll see.
Why are they going to college?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb