UF DB Coach Warren hired away by UGA

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW

Using 247 on this one, because they have an easier way to search the recruiter.

Warren

Primary for:
Hopper
Hill
Kimbrough
Dean

Secondary for:
Steele

Sunseri

Primary for:
Diabate

Secondary for:
Humphries

By comparison, this is what Robinson has done

Primary for:
Langston
Rucker
Lee
Fraziars
Pierre

Secondary for:
Manuel
Hopper
Black
Tarquin
White

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely a shot across the bow by other, SEC..rival, schools. Mullen has their attention and now they know we're going to be a threat sooner rather than later. And the assistants? Yeah, total dick move by them both, but it's just the way the business operates. With the recruits we have and the momentum that's obviously building, we shouldn't have much difficulty replacing those turds.

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
Mullen hired said guy with low character. I've been super supportive of Mullen. It's his house. Don't hire scumbags? I honestly don't know the answer but you can't be blindsided like this...that said...it's kill or be killed.

I don't understand why people think a head coach, any head coach, can know the true character of every one hire available. The divorce rate is proof of that.

Keene-Flint

Nov 3, 2017
FWIW

Using 247 on this one, because they have an easier way to search the recruiter.

Warren

Primary for:
Hopper
Hill
Kimbrough
Dean

Secondary for:
Steele

Sunseri

Primary for:
Diabate

Secondary for:
Humphries

By comparison, this is what Robinson has done

Primary for:
Langston
Rucker
Lee
Fraziars
Pierre

Secondary for:
Manuel
Hopper
Black
Tarquin
White

Who are Elam’s Primary and secondary recruiters?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2) Some of the teams at that top of that list (Ohio State, Georgia, and Alabama) had the most staff turnover (for various reasons), and at some of the highest paid positions.
It means they hired the best staffs and other teams wanted to promote those guys, that's what it means. It also means those coaches run off their questionable hires quickly.

At the end of the day, I do think Stricklin needs to open up the check book a bit though, especially at two critical positions like DL and CB. And I think he will if it means getting the right guys. He's already proven with the upcoming facility upgrades that he knows what it takes to compete at the highest level, and I think that'll show with the raises and hires we make this offseason.
Upcoming facilities? Fairy tale. Prove it. All hear is maybe some day, if you guys double your already country-leading (or close to it) contributions. Maybe after baseball and softball. That's all I hear. There isn't even a blueprint yet or bidding.

We've been listening to this upgraded facilities crap for almost a decade. Nothing has changed. Only one face in the ADO.

FWIW, I don't want us paying NTexas or Fl International coaches top pay. I want us landing top coaches, not Voles, Nulls, or Dwags, and paying them enough to keep them.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, that's why I said FWIW. It's really just the only easily searchable documented info on the topic. I can see where the territory recruiters could have a major influence, because they're the ones with HS relationships. You also hear so much about how some head coaches will personally recruit guys, and I don't think that ever shows up on the sites. I was also surprised at how many guys the Grantham was listed on. I never thought the coordinators really recruited much. So it's a take it with a grain of salt thing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Before everyone freaks out, I think there are a couple things to keep in mind...
Always an excuse. An excuse for why we don't have football facilities. An excuse for why our kids live in Section 8 housing. An excuse for why our coaches are paid poorly. An excuse for why our cost of living stipend to players is among the lowest.

Nothing but excuses.

Except for our revenue. That is top notch.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Actually is a common effort between the area recruiter and the position coach and then sometimes the coordinator and head coach. The area recruiter is the one that establishes relationships with area HS coaches. The off field recruiting staff also plays major role in the relationship with HS coaches. They are the ones that make first contact after looking at highlights. They tell the coach that they have looked at the players highlights and that UF is interested, ask for game film. The relationship also works the opposite way. If a HS coach thinks he has a good player, they contact the recruiting office and ask whether they can send some film. After the off field recruiting office think they have a good player then they contact both the position coach and the area recruiter. Area recruiter is point man.
It is very important to establish a good relationship with the HS coach. Some SEC schools (cough Alabama, cough Georgia have been known to pay off HS coaches).

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Always an excuse. An excuse for why we don't have football facilities. An excuse for why our kids live in Section 8 housing. An excuse for why our coaches are paid poorly. An excuse for why our cost of living stipend to players is among the lowest.

Nothing but excuses.

Except for our revenue. That is top notch.
The bargain bin approach sucks, has always sucked, and always will suck. This Foley's "legacy" in a nutshell.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly wouldn’t be upset if Corey Bell came back either. Good DB coach who landed both Tyrique Stevenson and Frank Ladson before being let go. I think he definitely is a top notch recruiter but young in the business.
These guys that are young in the business recruit the best imo. The guys that have been to the nfl or been coordinators ain't as hungry. See sunseri and ron English.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Fvkk the voles.

th

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It means they hired the best staffs and other teams wanted to promote those guys, that's what it means. It also means those coaches run off their questionable hires quickly.

Upcoming facilities? Fairy tale. Prove it. All hear is maybe some day, if you guys double your already country-leading (or close to it) contributions. Maybe after baseball and softball. That's all I hear. There isn't even a blueprint yet or bidding.

We've been listening to this upgraded facilities crap for almost a decade. Nothing has changed. Only one face in the ADO.

FWIW, I don't want us paying NTexas or Fl International coaches top pay. I want us landing top coaches, not Voles, Nulls, or Dwags, and paying them enough to keep them.
I completely get the unhappiness over the achingly slow pace -- the planning itself dates back at least four flipping years ago -- but you're just venting. It's going to happen. 50% of the funding is in place. A revised construction timetable for baseball was announced in December.

The baseball cost has already risen from 50m to 65m. Now imagine Stricklin trying to explain to the football boosters that the money's been used up for baseball and softball, make do with what you've got.

He'd get run out of town, and I'd be the first one running after his ass.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The baseball cost has already risen from 50m to 65m. Now imagine Stricklin trying to explain to the football boosters that the money's been used up for baseball and softball, make do with what you've got..
Simple. Fvkk the Taj Majal for baseball. They can't fill their three aluminum bleachers as it is. Or build their field with room to add all this other stuff if anyone ever starts carrying about baseball and filling their bleachers.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Simple. Fvkk the Taj Majal for baseball. They can't fill their three aluminum bleachers as it is. Or build their field with room to add all this other stuff if anyone ever starts carrying about baseball and filling their bleachers.
The optics are horrible. Not only did we put baseball in front of football, but we've now pushed the baseball construction start back a year while adding 30% to the price tag. You'd almost think we had a baseball guy toiling in the AD office, and of course we do.

Once upon a time many years ago, we employed football people to run the athletics department. No more. It shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.