Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n137113 said:
Ok, here's Nuss's offense over the years
fetch

Take away his few years at bama and his numbers aren't impressive at all. I've got confidence in mclwain because he's already turned around one program so I feel comfortable he knows what he's doing but I don't see how this hire excites anybody.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have to wonder what some of you were expecting out of this hire. Take a look at McElwain's offense. It's balanced and purposeful but nothing fancy. Nussmeier embraces that philosophy and has implemented it successfully, which is why it makes so much sense to bring him in. Why would anyone think McElwain was going to suddenly think outside the box and hire some guy who runs a gimmick offense? Be realistic.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n137136]I have to wonder what some of you were expecting out of this hire. Take a look at McElwain's offense. It's balanced and purposeful but nothing fancy. Nussmeier embraces that philosophy and has implemented it successfully, which is why it makes so much sense to bring him in. Why would anyone think McElwain was going to suddenly think outside the box and hire some guy who runs a gimmick offense? Be realistic. [/QUOTE]

Because mclwain was a lot more aggressive at csu and ran more of a spread type offense. Hell they threw for almost 4000 yards this year. We thought that's what we was getting. That being said, we don't know that's not what we are getting.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n137140 said:
Because mclwain was a lot more aggressive at csu and ran more of a spread type offense. Hell they threw for almost 4000 yards this year. We thought that's what we was getting. That being said, we don't know that's not what we are getting.

We need to stop looking so much at what he did at CSU and remember what he did at Alabama. He's not going to come in here slinging it around, nor should he need to. Those great Bama teams of a few years ago would pound it for a few plays and then catch you flat footed in the secondary, or mix it up on first down through the air. But BALANCED. That's more what I anticipate getting from McElwain.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And here's another thing to consider. Great defense. The great Florida teams always featured great defense, in part because the state produces so much stellar talent on that side of the ball. If Collins can continue the tradition of great Florida defense, we won't need to average 38 points a game to be great. We'll just need efficiency in the red zone and a low turnover ratio.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n137144]And here's another thing to consider. Great defense. The great Florida teams always featured great defense, in part because the state produces so much stellar talent on that side of the ball. If Collins can continue the tradition of great Florida defense, we won't need to average 38 points a game to be great. We'll just need efficiency in the red zone and a low turnover ratio.[/QUOTE]
Just shut up and grab a pitchfork.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n137143]

We need to stop looking so much at what he did at CSU and remember what he did at Alabama. He's not going to come in here slinging it around, nor should he need to. Those great Bama teams of a few years ago would pound it for a few plays and then catch you flat footed in the secondary, or mix it up on first down through the air. But BALANCED. That's more what I anticipate getting from McElwain.
[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between balanced and run heavy. And we don't have the linemen to do what they did at bama. We've spent the last 4 years trying to mimic bama , I think mclwain will try to form his own identity.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n137147 said:
Just shut up and grab a pitchfork.

And where do you stand? What's your initial reaction? Serious question

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n137158 said:
And where do you stand? What's your initial reaction? Serious question
My initial reaction is that I'm generally positive as to where I think McElwain is going to take the offense. If he thinks this guy, which he worked with for years, is good enough for him, then I'm fine with it. I think there's something to be said for continuity and familiarity among coaching staffs. There won't be any nasty surprises for Mac. When you throw a Charlie Weis and a Will Muschamp into a pot and try to stir them up, bad things can and will happen. In short, I'm not worried about the offense because I know McElwain is overseeing it.

I'm actually more interested into whether or not the guy can recruit. If he can, I think it could end up being a great hire.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That's a fair assessment. It's going to be mclwains offense and he chose someone he's familiar with to run it. I think recruiting will be fine honestly, he's been apart of major programs for quite a while I'm sure he knows the game

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
McElwain is not going to be Mike Leach -- Hal Mumme Air Raid and neither is he going to be Will Muschamp -- General Neyland. He is not going to be the Jim McElwain he was at Alabama as an offensive coordinator and he is not going to be the Jim McElwain he was at Colorado State. What worked at Colorado State won't necessarily work at Florida. He has already said he would look at what material he has and try to devise an offense, a game plan, that will best utilize the players he has on hand. In his statements he has made so far, McElwain seems more flexible than ideologue Will Muschamp.

MeElwain has been a coach in the SEC. He worked for one of the best, if not the best, at setting up a program in the best, most competitive, conference in college football.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Okeechobee Joe;n137252 said:
McElwain is not going to be Mike Leach -- Hal Mumme Air Raid and neither is he going to be Will Muschamp -- General Neyland. He is not going to be the Jim McElwain he was at Alabama as an offensive coordinator and he is not going to be the Jim McElwain he was at Colorado State. What worked at Colorado State won't necessarily work at Florida. He has already said he would look at what material he has and try to devise an offense, a game plan, that will best utilize the players he has on hand. In his statements he has made so far, McElwain seems more flexible than idealogue Will Muschamp.

MeElwain has been a coach in the SEC. He worked for one of the best, if not the best, at setting up a program in the best, most competitive, conference in college football.

Good post Joe. Some of these guys decry a healthy running game and like SOS, would rather lose a game than run the ball, even if that is what the defense is giving them. Whether you run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run, you have to be able to move the ball on the ground.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n137185 said:
That's a fair assessment. It's going to be mclwains offense and he chose someone he's familiar with to run it. I think recruiting will be fine honestly, he's been apart of major programs for quite a while I'm sure he knows the game

It's McElwain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.