Recruiting UF lands DE transfer from WVU

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I care about this season for the sake of the players who came here during the last 2 or 3 years. I really don't want to send any seniors off after this season in shame like last year or 2013 either without enjoying at least a bowl trip and winning record. Yes I know that a lot of what has happened over the last couple of years is of their doing on the field but the morons who were coaching them did them no favors.

Now all that being said and looking beyond 2018, we need a huge upgrade of talent save for maybe WR and RB. That will have to come from none other than the man at the top. It is not enough to "get close" to landing targets. Guys like Butters and Chimp get close.....guys like Meyer, Saban, and Dabo land their targets or at least most of them. We also need a bona fide superstar at a pivotal position.....I'm not expecting a recreation of TT but we need to put some guys(other than the punter) on some first team Conference or All American teams to create some buzz around the program.
Honestly we need the next 2 classes to be Top 5-10 classes, I just don't see any way around it for Mullen to succeed here.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's expected to enroll in the fall. According to goldcammp.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that a solid to really good recruiting season may go a long way in telling the long term story. But I do think this season is absolutely pivotal in terms of what it says about DM's abilities as a coach, and hence as a recruiter. After nearly a decade of misery, the top-tier recruits have zero reason to get excited about UF - until they are given some reason to. The "slum lord" analogy is apt and we must win games to begin the process of clearing away the rubble. We also must look reasonably good doing it if we ever hope to escape skid row. I'm not blindly optimistic, but I do not think we are doomed to failure at this point. Hope springs eternal.

To me recruiting is the huge thing this year not the record as Franks is lost and the other guy is a true freshman. A good recruiter doesn't need a good season first to recruit at a top level program.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not hating on other UF sports, I'm really not. They're all fine programs and I always wish them well. However, my understanding is that none of them except maybe basketball support themselves. They all need the money generated by the football program to survive and combined, they don't bring half the notoriety or fan support to the University that football does. Based on that, from my perspective football should always come first. I'm frustrated because it seems to me we've lost sight of that. If that frustration comes across as hating other UF sports, so be it.
If money truly is your main concern, I think those numbers released recently showed we turned the 3rd largest profit of any college sports program last year.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
If money truly is your main concern, I think those numbers released recently showed we turned the 3rd largest profit of any college sports program last year.
Money is NOT the issue. The problem with football as I see it is that Jeremy Foley waited too long to invest in facility upgrades in many sports, but football for sure. On top of that his hires of Muschamp and McElwain were busts. The combination of 2 bad head coaching hires and facilities falling behind other big time programs cost us recruits, which took us down in the win/loss column. Other sports programs don't have to suffer to build football up, as the income sheets show. We are a Top 5 income producing athletic department, even when the football program is mediocre. But to be a top tier football program you need an elite coach and elite facilities to bring in the players and win with them. The University of Florida can and should have it all. We should be competing for titles regularly in all sports. This year 12 of our 21 athletic teams finished in the Top 5 in the nation. That's incredible. But football should be in that group as well and there is no excuse for it not to be.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Right.

Which is why there isnt an excuse for being three decades behind.

And those numbers for "profit" is while paying for three turd football coaching hires at one time.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Profit is exactly the problem...It's in the bank instead of where it would do the most good...
Not true at all.

http://www.fa.ufl.edu/wp-content/uploads/ga/2017_University_Athletic_Assoc_Audited_FS.pdf

The UAA has contributed to the University and the UF foundation heavily in the past two years. To the tune of about $44 million over the past two years. The bulk of this was for the O'Dome renovation.

Not saying some of it isn't sitting in the bank, but the bigger issue is the focus on sports that don't provide for themselves. I'm not upset about the O'Dome. I think they did a pretty good job with it and it was overdue. But basketball more or less supports itself.

It comes down to focus. Instead of having plans to upgrade football where the money comes in, they are focused everywhere else. Football has just been neglected. Mac had a ton of issues, but the one thing he did right was push for facilities. Now they hired Cousin Eddie who isn't going to bitch about facilities.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Well, around the time UF should have been putting huge money into upgrades we were winning both football and basketball national titles. So everyone just figured things were fine and the upgrades were not necessary.

Whoops.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
actice til September?

Dafuq?[/QUOTE]
He'll fit right in with most of the returning players since most of them didn't seem to have practiced last year....
In all seriousness he'll either show up ready to play or be another guy taking up space on the roster. We would certainly benefit if he's ready to take some reps and since he's been around a CFB program for 2 years(?) it shouldn't take him long to get up to speed.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Does UAL have any direct flights into UWV? I'm pretty sure they do to UNL.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Post office rejected the "a." Said it was old school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.