Gator Basketball UF loses to Butler 61-54 to drop to 3-3

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
The season is already lost. Put Allen and Hudson on a need to know role and let the young guns sort out their roles for 2019

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
3 losses already with WVU and Mich St coming up. 5 non-conference losses will effectively end our season

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
3 losses already with WVU and Mich St coming up. 5 non-conference losses will effectively end our season

And that's assuming we beat UNF, Mercer, and FGCU.

Coach needs to bench Allen and Hudson and let the freshman learn on the job. At worst: we lose, but the freshmen gain experience and might actually win a few when things click. We're not going to win with Allen and Hudson playing like hs juniors out there.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
All throughout the game Dykes kept pointing out how Butler's players were cutting, moving...ect. He also pointed out how we weren't doing that. That is on White. When you have guys like Ballard and Locke who can shoot, run set plays to get them open. White does almost none of that.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
And that's assuming we beat UNF, Mercer, and FGCU.

Coach needs to bench Allen and Hudson and let the freshman learn on the job. At worst: we lose, but the freshmen gain experience and might actually win a few when things click. We're not going to win with Allen and Hudson playing like hs juniors out there.

For us to have any success, we need Hudson and Allen to lead us. It’s early so I’m hoping they can turn it around. We have dug ourselves into a hole now though.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah White all but gone and the top ranked recruiting class too. NEXT but who we do get??

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Murderers row of a schedule coming up. Might as well just give the young guys the playing time.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Yeah White all but gone and the top ranked recruiting class too. NEXT but who we do get??

We're not getting rid of White with the recruiting class he has coming in and an overall successful tenure as coach. No matter how bad he does this year, he has earned at least one mulligan based on how he's done thus far.

This team reminds me of the 09 Gators when Donovan lost the 04s and had numerous issues--but as that team grew up: it was the foundation for the next few years of success.

With Nembhard, Locke, Johnson, Stokes, and Ballard, we have a young core that will be seasoned and experienced come next year when some blue chip studs come in.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Basset got the worst flagrant call in the history of basketball...it was a hold on the other team...White just sits by and does nothing I assume

You are beginning to sound like me.
Our athletic director, I mean coach, just stands there with his arms crossed.
The problem is that he seems to have the same passive approach with his players.
Find some passion maybe?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
For us to have any success, we need Hudson and Allen to lead us. It’s early so I’m hoping they can turn it around. We have dug ourselves into a hole now though.

No disagreement that this team would be better IF they would play up to past versions of themselves. But we haven't seen it in 2 years with Allen; and consistency has never been Hudson's specialty. At a certain point, they are what they are and we should adjust expectations accordingly.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Our schedule this year is pretty tough and the SEC is better than in a long time with 3-4 Top 20 teams and one of them is not us. Mike White IS a good coach, but we have upper classmen not playing up to their potential and not leading. Our best players are young guys. Mike White won 69 games in his 1st 3 years. Billy Donovan won 49 in his 1st 3 years. I remember people calling for Donovan to be fired and Foley coming under heavy criticism for hiring him. He was too young, couldn't make in-game adjustments, choked in big games. The he got Mike Miller, then Matt Bonner, then David Lee, then got lightning in a bottle with the group that won 2 national titles. All of a sudden Billy D was the best coach we ever had. Give Mike White a chance to build his program. His teams have been killed by injuries to big men. We were rolling towards a Final 4 until Egbunu went down and still made the Elite 8. Gak can't get healthy, Chase Johnson has ongoing concussions, Stokes can't get he's knees OK, Hudson came into his 5th year senior, money year with his head not right and Allen can't perform like he did as a freshman and sophomore. I'm a Mike White fan and think that once he gets the 2019 guys on campus and mixes them with the young guys already there, UF basketball will start rolling again. Patience Gators.

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
THANK YOU Ocalaman!! Great post! EASY to dump but VERY difficult for some to be positive even in wins. Speaks to their normal everyday lives. 3 games in 3 days was tough. Our defense was there but our offense wasn't. This team can still get it going. Go Gators!!

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
THANK YOU Ocalaman!! Great post! EASY to dump but VERY difficult for some to be positive even in wins. Speaks to their normal everyday lives. 3 games in 3 days was tough. Our defense was there but our offense wasn't. This team can still get it going. Go Gators!!

I had a different take: White is a good coach going through a down year based upon some bad luck, tough scheduling, and bad personnel on the roster.

I'm not sure he'll turn it around with this group, but if he lets the freshmen gain experience this year: we're going to be a good basketball program in subsequent seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator