Gator Basketball UF loses to Butler 61-54 to drop to 3-3

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not throwing in the towel just yet on this team or Coach White. We need our bigs to get/stay healthy and contribute to add some balance to the team; and Hudson and Allen to pull their heads out of their axxes, which we know they’re capable of doing. Dammit!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not throwing in the towel just yet on this team or Coach White. We need our bigs to get/stay healthy and contribute to add some balance to the team; and Hudson and Allen to pull their heads out of their axxes, which we know they’re capable of doing. Dammit!
:lol:

Not.

Yet.

Damnit.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Our schedule this year is pretty tough and the SEC is better than in a long time with 3-4 Top 20 teams and one of them is not us. Mike White IS a good coach, but we have upper classmen not playing up to their potential and not leading. Our best players are young guys. Mike White won 69 games in his 1st 3 years. Billy Donovan won 49 in his 1st 3 years. I remember people calling for Donovan to be fired and Foley coming under heavy criticism for hiring him. He was too young, couldn't make in-game adjustments, choked in big games. The he got Mike Miller, then Matt Bonner, then David Lee, then got lightning in a bottle with the group that won 2 national titles. All of a sudden Billy D was the best coach we ever had. Give Mike White a chance to build his program. His teams have been killed by injuries to big men. We were rolling towards a Final 4 until Egbunu went down and still made the Elite 8. Gak can't get healthy, Chase Johnson has ongoing concussions, Stokes can't get he's knees OK, Hudson came into his 5th year senior, money year with his head not right and Allen can't perform like he did as a freshman and sophomore. I'm a Mike White fan and think that once he gets the 2019 guys on campus and mixes them with the young guys already there, UF basketball will start rolling again. Patience Gators.
Its year 4 and the biggest issue is there is not 1 ounce of a half court offensive design. That a major concern. If he scrapes the dribble crap and starts coaching offense he can be amazing. But as long as we run the dribble drive its gonna be tough. Teams just have to guard the ball handler and not worry about off the ball. It takes amazing athletes to run well and even then it has major flaws

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Apparently White blamed the defense and blamed the defense for our offensive struggles tonight lmao....he has no idea what he is doing. We gave up 60 to a decent team....and scored 50 lmao

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is there, without calling for a new HC.

1) The many games I've watched over many years, I have never heard announcers/analysts say that the stars of past years' teams have become ineffective ? How does that jive with the promise to develop your players ?

2) You can see this in successful programs : players off the ball are constantly moving, getting clear for the pass, getting the defense stumbling. UF players do none of that = against us opposing defense camps at best positions & get to stay there waiting.??

3) Our passing technique is never fast enough to make defenders lag behind.?? (Practice it always everyday.)

4) Players operate like they don't understand why defenders are thwarting our non-attack = like they don't know you have to create offense.??

5) Missing 50% of team FTs doesn't reside in decent teams. Bring that FT expert in for a week's team training. Don't just take FTs as natural money in the bank.??

It's so much easier to pull for a team that plays well enough to deserve to win, to pull for a coach that coaches the game well enough to deserve to win. So far, this team is frustrating to watch.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
1-12 from 3, 5-10 from FT in the second half is unacceptable, I don't care who the coach is. Make just a few of those and we win the game. Locke had an off night, Nembhard was fabulous and I want to see more Ballard who only played 20 minutes.

Bench the senior guards. Play the underclassman. The difference in effort is very obvious.

Until this team can get some consistent production from a big man in the paint, it will struggle offensively.

I'd guess that Jalen Hudson is a team cancer off the court and his attitude is the real issue, but that's speculation. Guy has ZERO leadership skills for a senior.

Just my two cents.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
1-12 from 3, 5-10 from FT in the second half is unacceptable, I don't care who the coach is. Make just a few of those and we win the game. Locke had an off night, Nembhard was fabulous and I want to see more Ballard who only played 20 minutes.

Bench the senior guards. Play the underclassman. The difference in effort is very obvious.

Until this team can get some consistent production from a big man in the paint, it will struggle offensively.

I'd guess that Jalen Hudson is a team cancer off the court and his attitude is the real issue, but that's speculation. Guy has ZERO leadership skills for a senior.

Just my two cents.

To add on, Hayes is an absolute liability on offense and gets pushed around on defense. Stokes and Bassett should man the center position with Hayes coming off the bench as a spark in spurts.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It is disappointing that seniors are not playing well, but we should have expected a transition period with changes at the point. Blaming coach for this including the injuries is not correct.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
To add on, Hayes is an absolute liability on offense and gets pushed around on defense. Stokes and Bassett should man the center position with Hayes coming off the bench as a spark in spurts.
Hayes is probably our best effort guy with the least amount of talent. Stokes is still having knee issues, but I agree that Basset should be getting more PT.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our schedule this year is pretty tough and the SEC is better than in a long time with 3-4 Top 20 teams and one of them is not us. Mike White IS a good coach, but we have upper classmen not playing up to their potential and not leading. Our best players are young guys. Mike White won 69 games in his 1st 3 years. Billy Donovan won 49 in his 1st 3 years. I remember people calling for Donovan to be fired and Foley coming under heavy criticism for hiring him. He was too young, couldn't make in-game adjustments, choked in big games. The he got Mike Miller, then Matt Bonner, then David Lee, then got lightning in a bottle with the group that won 2 national titles. All of a sudden Billy D was the best coach we ever had. Give Mike White a chance to build his program. His teams have been killed by injuries to big men. We were rolling towards a Final 4 until Egbunu went down and still made the Elite 8. Gak can't get healthy, Chase Johnson has ongoing concussions, Stokes can't get he's knees OK, Hudson came into his 5th year senior, money year with his head not right and Allen can't perform like he did as a freshman and sophomore. I'm a Mike White fan and think that once he gets the 2019 guys on campus and mixes them with the young guys already there, UF basketball will start rolling again. Patience Gators.

Please do not attempt to compare the initial records of White versus Donovan. It would take me an hour to list all the things that were dramatically different and better for White than Donovan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator