UF spent most of any Power 5 program on buyouts last 15 years

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If anything Stricklin should get credit for not having to pay Butters his full buyout (but I still argue we shouldn't have paid him a dime and risked going to court over it - legal fees wouldn't have come close to $7.5 million).

From what I understand, if we didn't hire a coach with the same agent, Butters wouldn't have gotten as much (just enough to cover the buyout from CSU).

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If anything Stricklin should get credit for not having to pay Butters his full buyout (but I still argue we shouldn't have paid him a dime and risked going to court over it - legal fees wouldn't have come close to $7.5 million).

The same Stricklin who gave Butters a new six-year deal worth $26.9 million in June 2017?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The same Stricklin who gave Butters a new six-year deal worth $26.9 million in June 2017?

Not defending that, but allegedly that deal was in the works before he took over for Foley (i.e. it was Foley's departing "gift" to Stricklin, "Hey, I wrote up Butters contract extension...make sure you get him to sign it before we lose him to one of the dozens of other programs trying to poach him from us!").

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not defending that, but allegedly that deal was in the works before he took over for Foley (i.e. it was Foley's departing "gift" to Stricklin, "Hey, I wrote up Butters contract extension...make sure you get him to sign it before we lose him to one of the dozens of other programs trying to poach him from us!").

Well, I suppose anything is possible, but it does strike me as unusual that there would be a gap of a minimum of 7.5 months between verbal commitment and actual signing.

And what about the notion of executive override? UF went 3-3 to close out 2016 after Foley’s departure. Were we that concerned about poaching?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, I suppose anything is possible, but it does strike me as unusual that there would be a gap of 7.5 months between verbal commitment and actual signing.

And what about the notion of executive override? UF went 3-3 to close out 2016 after Foley’s departure. Were we that concerned about poaching?

I'm just repeating what was 'the word' about that contract. He ended up firing him not too many months later also. Terrible deal that his hands are all over. I'm by no means praising Stricklin, but he didn't hire Butters or Muschamp....and he damn sure did't say, "We're not getting into an arms race."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just repeating what was 'the word' about that contract. He ended up firing him not too many months later also. Terrible deal that his hands are all over. I'm by no means praising Stricklin, but he didn't hire Butters or Muschamp....and he damn sure did't say, "We're not getting into an arms race."

So what you mean to say is Stricklin saved face by not having to pay Butters’ full buyout after making a bad decision that contributed to the enhanced buyout he attempted to evade a mere 4.5 months later.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So what you mean to say is Stricklin saved face by not having to pay Butters’ full buyout after making a bad decision that contributed to the enhanced buyout he attempted to evade a mere 4.5 months later.

200.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2:

honestly I can't tell the difference between Foley and Stricklin

except one of the two likes baseball stadiums and LED lights

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Lol, I probably deserve that. What I mean to say is Stricklin can’t be viewed as a savior over the buyout when he in fact contributed to the problem.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I'm surprised we passed ut. They had to pay buyouts for Fulmer, Dooley, and Jones. I guess we pay our assistants more?

Anyways, this is why you don't go cheap the first time and don't give anybody a raise after one or two years without the hardware to back it up.
UT kept it lower by giving Full Philmer a one year, unlimited Krispy Kreme account in lieu of $$. So it ended up costing them more but they kept it off the books.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Lol, I probably deserve that. What I mean to say is Stricklin can’t be viewed as a savior over the buyout when he in fact contributed to the problem.

Honestly I don't recall the details, except they gave him a raise. In the CFB world the contract - for whatever reason (recruiting supposedly) - is supposed to be at least 4 years out, so they can't get negative-recruited against by other schools saying "he only has a 2 year contract, he might not be there after your second season". Anyhow, if the AD's office felt they needed to extend it, fine, that's what they do. But he did not deserve a raise or any additional buyout money - he hadn't earned it....and there were damn sure no other programs trying to poach him from us. So why? It's like Muschamp's deal at South Carolina - they owe him around $18+ million if they fire him. WHY?? NOBODY is trying to poach him. These contracts are out of control. Even Mullen's is out of control. We gave him a 25% raise (or somewhere in that ball park) to leave MSU. WHY? I don't get it. Additionally, we need to tell Jimmy Sexton to F off the next time we make a hire.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly I don't recall the details, except they gave him a raise. In the CFB world the contract - for whatever reason (recruiting supposedly) - is supposed to be at least 4 years out, so they can't get negative-recruited against by other schools saying "he only has a 2 year contract, he might not be there after your second season". Anyhow, if the AD's office felt they needed to extend it, fine, that's what they do. But he did not deserve a raise or any additional buyout money - he hadn't earned it....and there were damn sure no other programs trying to poach him from us. So why? It's like Muschamp's deal at South Carolina - they owe him around $18+ million if they fire him. WHY?? NOBODY is trying to poach him. These contracts are out of control. Even Mullen's is out of control. We gave him a 25% raise (or somewhere in that ball park) to leave MSU. WHY? I don't get it. Additionally, we need to tell Jimmy Sexton to F off the next time we make a hire.

It’s interesting when you go back and timeline it. We were 6-1 in 2016 when Foley left office. We bombed the rest of the season.

It makes me question Scott Stricklin’s ability to think through things. Why on earth did this guy deserve an extension?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But he did not deserve a raise or any additional buyout money - he hadn't earned it....and there were damn sure no other programs trying to poach him from us.
Ding fvkking ding.

if only we had been lucky enough to have some school " poach" him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ding fvkking ding.

if only we had been lucky enough to have some school " poach" him.

The only thing worse than a bad coach is a bad coach who’s a fraud. Mac fit the bill. It’s embarrassing to even have the guy etched in our history.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I was told the same thing, that the contract was in the works, the only reason it was already under Stricklin is when the agent sent it with pen to paper.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
:lmao2:

honestly I can't tell the difference between Foley and Stricklin

except one of the two likes baseball stadiums and LED lights
Cause you keep confusing where the power is. They are mouth pieces for the top boosters.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Cause you keep confusing where the power is. They are mouth pieces for the top boosters.
Nah.... AD's office is adrift. Boosters are only a small percentage now.

They feel free to become the next Vandy now that they have the SECN money.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I almost predicted this reply down to the word but had Cowbell instead of Vandy.
Come on, is Cowbell the Harvard of the south?

Cowbell isnt even one of the better community colleges in the south.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Come on, is Cowbell the Harvard of the south?

Cowbell isnt even one of the better community colleges in the south.
I just get so confused with the comparisons. Seem to vary based on the argument you’re making.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator