Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's no point showing our 2 play playbook. We don't need the extra tape floating around. Smart move , really.
such absurdity. there is
zone read

q power

fake zone screen pass

speed option

inside zone

outside zone

jet sweep

three nines and underneath route

and levels.

that's 9 middle school plays.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I see an illegal forward pass beyond the LOS, and then what appears to be a busted play or him being inexplicably lined up outside and coming on a reverse.

Oh goodness. It’s worse than I thought.
I used to watch Danny, Doering, Ike, Reidel, Quezzie and all the rest just run fades by the thousands all day by the thousands, just to get the timing JUST right.

I'm not really sure what the hell that's supposed to be or what it's supposed to teach.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I felt like watching that last night was the equivalent of watching a 1980s summer camp informercial

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
such absurdity. there is
zone read

q power

fake zone screen pass

speed option

inside zone

outside zone

jet sweep

three nines and underneath route

and levels.

that's 9 middle school plays.
Funny because it’s mostly true.

I just don’t see a problem with that. From watching film, all levels of football, the game has mainly shifted away from dynamic play calling. It’s now more about formations. I watch teams run the same play 5-7 times a game. Each time from a different formation. That’s actually a brilliant strategy. It’s extremely easy for the players to learn the offense, but it looks very complex to the defense. You can then pretty much run any play from any formation. Offenses spend more time learning formations than plays. What do you think they’re doing in practice? Learning a million plays? You actually think some of these guys have the mental capacity for that? Even on the professional level, that’s not how it goes. That’s why it’s important to have leaders to get guys in the right position. Not because they’ve learned 50 new plays this week. But they’ve installed 15 new game specific formations and some guys struggle remembering.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Funny because it’s mostly true..
of course it's mostly true, or I wouldn't have said it.

The problem with the Dildo Dan's simpleton playbook is it all the plays suck.

Spurrier actually had a pretty simple playbook himself. but a lot was on the players. they had to react and change their routes according to what the defense did.

SOS would sometimes call the same play three times in a row and it looked different each time. The difference is his plays were designed to score, not get a few yards and run the clock.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
of course it's mostly true, or I wouldn't have said it.

The problem with the Dildo Dan's simpleton playbook is it all the plays suck.

Spurrier actually had a pretty simple playbook himself. but a lot was on the players. they had to react and change their routes according to what the defense did.

SOS would sometimes call the same play three times in a row and it looked different each time. The difference is his plays were designed to score, not get a few yards and run the clock.
That’s true.
But I think Mullen’s biggest problem is his lack of rhythm. The team will be humming along and he’ll call some horizontal play with little chance of popping and we lose 5 yards. Now we’re behind the sticks and the drive stalls. Some of those games last season he let his ego and wanting to be balanced get in the way of us putting up a lot more points. Obviously he’s pretty good at coaching offense. Maybe he should hire a real offensive coordinator to run his offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe he should hire a real offensive coordinator to run his offense.
We had one, the Jets just hired him.

That's the really maddening thing though. Mullinz is CAPABLE of being aggressive and being close to elite. Early last year and 2007 are examples of that. He usually only does it when he thinks he's a big underdog and has to play this way to win.

He just isn't aggressive naturally. When he sees a play that works he just abandons it, or allegedly circles it to ise again in the 4th quarter. SOS with score 48 in the first half when he found a corner or safety he could pick on.

We'll find a guy that's outmatched then we may not even throw at him the rest of the game, regardless of whether the defense adapts or not.

I'm convinced we just make a game plan and refuse to diverge from it. Second half is usually better, the sign of a pretty good coach, bit the in-game adjustments arent there.

He never deviates from the ball control option even with Trash. He has to try to "establish his run game" almost 50% of the time. We just can't get the Notre Dame out of him. How many drives did he kill by switching to option, option, option, punt even last year with Trash?

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Watched a couple of minutes of the tinnerc spring game. Heupel been listening to Donk. Announcers kept talking about the fast pace, up tempo, and deep passes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Watched a couple of minutes of the tinnerc spring game. Heupel been listening to Donk. Announcers kept talking about the fast pace, up tempo, and deep passes.
Heupel played at Oklahoma. He has always played in or run a fast paced offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator