UF Fall Camp: camp over...Game 1 up next

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree they are likely biding their time, hedging down a potential buyout. He is not going over a cliff like butters, but he won’t be able to carry the weight of so many smaller idiotic moves.
Nohing short of an SEC championship in 21 saves him. Not a division title or anything else. When the admin clams up, the party is over.

His smaller idiotic movies, which I have listed on numerous occasions as being unprofessional from the beginning. Ask Sofla for reference on my hatred of his unprofessional nature.

The problem is that we have Foley lite. I didn't think someone with less balls than Foley, but we have found him. Unlike a decade ago, the Boosters don't have the power they did, due to the TV money. And with the management which should only be focused on sports being that it is a separate corporation from the University. It is honestly embarrassing how ballless the current administration is.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
His smaller idiotic movies, which I have listed on numerous occasions as being unprofessional from the beginning. Ask Sofla for reference on my hatred of his unprofessional nature.

The problem is that we have Foley lite. I didn't think someone with less balls than Foley, but we have found him. Unlike a decade ago, the Boosters don't have the power they did, due to the TV money. And with the management which should only be focused on sports being that it is a separate corporation from the University. It is honestly embarrassing how ballless the current administration is.

Your second paragraph is my issue with all the "Mullen's done" talk. Let's be very clear. If in fact he's lost the support of this administration, it has little or nothing to do with wins and losses. It's that they don't care for him personally, that he's called them out on support, and the recruiting mistake(again, not performance per se). So while I agree on the unprofessional claims, as well as his approach to recruiting, my concern is that these guys don't have the same objectives that we do because if we were winning titles or looked poised to shortly, no one would care all that much about the granular stuff. We might still not like the costume or some of the comments, but we'd deal with it. The difference is, the admin still would want him gone, in large part because, as you say, they're flush through TV revenue and don't have to align their thinking with the boosters like in the past. It's also not a McElwain scenario either where we could take a small amount of comfort in knowing that despite the extension, it wasn't Stricklin's guy and we had hope to look forward to. We've seen this admin in a coaching search and we were lucky that it coincided with the vols having one as well so it didn't get the coverage and mockery that it warranted.

So basically, the question is, would we be better off with this staff but a replaced UAA, or this same UAA pulling the strings new coaching search? It sucks that we have to even be in that position, but it's reality. And minds will be made up already so it's not about convincing anyone of anything. I'm personally just not sure Mullen's the larger problem here or that all our issues are resolved by SS & Co bringing in someone else.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I just saw the tweet from SS and thought it meant no fans in the stands for the Spring game, not ruling out the game all together. Was there an rationale or justification given for why we'd purposely take ourselves out of a televised spotlight, even if only an SEC Network spot, or why we'd take that away from the fans for a second year straight?
Cuz recruiting dont matter.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014

I think we’re in general agreement. Do I think Stricklin is in over his head? Absolutely. He was and is the wrong person to handle the shyt show left in Foley’s wake. But Foley would be singing Mullen’s praise from the rooftops until the day before he canned him (see Muschamp, William). But right now he is silent as hell in both voice and action, because he is being told to directly or otherwise.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So basically, the question is, would we be better off with this staff but a replaced UAA, or this same UAA pulling the strings new coaching search? It sucks that we have to even be in that position, but it's reality. And minds will be made up already so it's not about convincing anyone of anything. I'm personally just not sure Mullen's the larger problem here or that all our issues are resolved by SS & Co bringing in someone else.
Mullin isnt ALL the problem here but his is a 3rd or 4th tier coach. He was a garbage recruiter when he was here before. Douchebags just dont recruit well.

His affinity for keeping even the worst staff and lack of interest in recruiting, defense, special teams, really anything except option offense is well documented. He is what his resume says he is.

That being said, I agree with you that I would rather fire the entire UAA braintrust first. Without doing that the next results will be the same as the last three hires, just another garbage fourth tier coach.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are just wishful thinking. Mullen ain’t even close to being on the hot seat. NOT EVEN CLOSE!
If he leaves anytime soon, it’ll be because someone hires him away...not because he was let go. The odds of anyone hiring him away are slim and none because we pay him like a championship coach.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You guys are just wishful thinking. Mullen ain’t even close to being on the hot seat. NOT EVEN CLOSE!
Totally agree with this.

Imagine if Marco hadn't let an INT go right through his hands against aTm and he didn't throw a shoe against LSU. CDM might have gone to Atlanta with an undefeated squad and, who knows, possibly gotten into the playoffs, despite the team overall not really being that good and the coaching being subpar. I suspect his seat would be even cooler at the moment and right now some dum-dum in the UAA would be saying, "I know he's a douche, but look how close he's gotten us to a championship!"

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Mullen had the best chance ever in his head coaching career to play for any championship this past year. Instead of that creating a furious drive to reach that goal, ah that Gator Standard, he chose to coast against LSU while sitting a player cleared to dress for the game, not do anything to pump up Trask for Heisman (who may have had the Heisman nearly locked up well before LSU based on his season), and not dive into the defensive meeting room (ala Spurrier) to mandate obvious changes/simplification and personnel.

He's just too comfortable and not nearly as driven to reach the absolute heights it takes to win championships.

Whether you liked the Darth Vader costume move or hated it, it was also indicative of the problem. Here is a guy making $6 million a year that decides to take the stage as a stunt in a Darth Vader costume, yet only puts in the effort to buy a $19.99 mask, flimsly sheet like cape, and plastic light saber for his stunt. If the guy had his assistant/secretarty track down a $500, great looking Darth Vader outfit instead of looking like an oversized 8 year old asking for candy, then maybe he comes across a bit less like a lazy doofus. (OK, maybe the type/cost of Darth Vader costume is largely irrelevant, but it sheds some insight on his attention to detail for a public spectacle and his appearance as the most prominent figurehead for our university).

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
If he leaves anytime soon, it’ll be because someone hires him away...not because he was let go. The odds of anyone hiring him away are slim and none because we pay him like a championship coach.

I think you are overstating this a bit. He received a LOR from Stricklin for his recruiting violation that meant he couldn't leave for another coaching job for a year without permission from the NCAA. Stricklin had to fire one of his coaches for the same infraction. He got in hot water with the administration and the conference for starting a fight at the mizzou game. He got in hot water with the administration for his ridiculous post game comments.

So, he is sitting on a seat that at best is warm to hot because of his mouth and actions. No contract extension and no comments from the administration about any of it. His seat is hot even after winning the east and getting to the SECCG.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I think you are overstating this a bit. He received a LOR from Stricklin for his recruiting violation that meant he couldn't leave for another coaching job for a year without permission from the NCAA. Stricklin had to fire one of his coaches for the same infraction. He got in hot water with the administration and the conference for starting a fight at the mizzou game. He got in hot water with the administration for his ridiculous post game comments.

So, he is sitting on a seat that at best is warm to hot because of his mouth and actions. No contract extension and no comments from the administration about any of it. His seat is hot even after winning the east and getting to the SECCG.

Which comments are those? Not defending Mullen in any way but I keep seeing people mention this same thing. Are you guys really pissed off that he said "pack the swamp"? Hell I probably agreed more with that comment than any other thing the mother fucher has said since he's been here. Good for him on calling everyone out for being b!tches.

But I agree, I think his seat is much hotter than some around here believe. How many times in the past 20 years have we went into an offseason as quiet as this one? Hell Meyer, Muschamp and butters were getting extensions or raises pretty much every year. Has Mullen gotten anything since his original contract? Unless Mullen pulls some kinda miracle this year and wins the SEC I think there's going to be some kinda mutual split before next year.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Which comments are those? Not defending Mullen in any way but I keep seeing people mention this same thing. Are you guys really pissed off that he said "pack the swamp"? Hell I probably agreed more with that comment than any other thing the mother fucher has said since he's been here. Good for him on calling everyone out for being b!tches.

But I agree, I think his seat is much hotter than some around here believe. How many times in the past 20 years have we went into an offseason as quiet as this one? Hell Meyer, Muschamp and butters were getting extensions or raises pretty much every year. Has Mullen gotten anything since his original contract? Unless Mullen pulls some kinda miracle this year and wins the SEC I think there's going to be some kinda mutual split before next year.

After we leave Jax with a L.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Challenging a member of the media to a thumb war after the loss to Missouri in 2018.
Dressing up as Darth Vader after being part/starting an on the field brawl
Making excuse for the loss against LSU and that we shouldn't have had to play it (after the game)
The complete clusterfuch of a press conference after the Cotton Bowl.

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

I don’t think he’s in any hot water other than possibly the recruiting violation, and the NCAA smacked him....not UF. All coaches make idiotic comments from time to time, so I think all that stuff is just wishful thinking from folks that want him gone.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It's a three way circle jerk...Stricklin reaches around on Dan, Dan reaches around on Fat Slob Todd, and Fat Slob Todd reaches around on Stricklin. A constant circle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,circling the commode.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's telling that Muschamp and McElwain got extensions and raises after 2 years but Mullen has gotten nothing after 3. I'm sure the recruiting violations was the main reason, but Mullen certainly hasn't done himself many favors this last year. I think his seat is a little warm but no where close to hot... yet. That could change in about 8 or 9 months. It's still doubtful that they'd fire him after year 4. I'm thinking 2022 is his last season.

But on the topic of not having a spring game, I get the feeling Mullen is glad. Now he won't have to display his revamped offense with EJ at the helm. As much as we threw the ball last year, no one will suspect that we'll run the ball at least 40 times a game. :dance:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I don’t think he’s in any hot water other than possibly the recruiting violation, and the NCAA smacked him....not UF. All coaches make idiotic comments from time to time, so I think all that stuff is just wishful thinking from folks that want him gone.
Are there folks who don't?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Yes, the pack the swamp comments. It has nothing to do with what you or I think but it has to do with the national attention he gave the university. Again, forget your beliefs on the subject and channel your inner Fuchs and Stricklin. He basically complained that he couldn't have a packed stadium and then the whole team had to take a few weeks off because of covid. How do you think the admin felt about that PR?

Furthermore, if that didn't make you angry then you need to rethink it. He was blaming our loss on anything like people cheering instead of his piece of crap defensive coaching staff. Are you sure you want to double down on supporting the pack the swamp comment?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Yeah, the ncaa did smack him. Then Stricklin wrote him up on an official Letter of Reprimand. That's about as an official of a 'strike' that you can get in the professional world. Its a way of keeping score. Some would say its keeping score on how hot your seat is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb