UF trailed in 5 of 6 East games in the 4th quarter... (SDS article)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Pretty accurate write up here. I think a lot of people forget how close the mid-season portion of our schedule came to getting away from us. Credit the come-from-behind wins, but the UGA, Vandy, Missouri, SC stretch was ugly. Things came together once they started letting Franks run the ball (imo).

As we talk about Florida as an SEC East contender, there's something worth remembering

As we talk about Florida as an SEC East contender, there’s something worth remembering

I remember walking into Florida’s postgame press conference after Dan Mullen’s first signature win against LSU and thinking something that I’m sure plenty of people in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium also thought that day.

“The Gators are back.”

And by “back,” I meant back to being capable of beating anyone. “Back” in a sense that they were going to factor into the SEC East race a year after winning 4 games in what was one of the more bizarre seasons of any Power 5 program in the 21st century.

What I — and others — tend to forget in the heat of the moment after monumental wins is that things don’t always follow this linear path. Granted, we were right in assuming that the 2017 Gators were a distant memory and that Mullen righted the ship in a hurry.

It’s easy to look at this linear path that Florida is on now and assume that double-digit wins, a New Year’s 6 Bowl and perhaps even an SEC East title are in the cards this year. It’s not bold to say that the No. 7 team in America that ranks No. 26 in percentage of returning productionis going to have a good chance to win a division title.

On the surface, that makes a lot of sense.

But what if I told you that a Florida team that went 3-3 and was -11 against East foes last year would be picked by some to win the division?

You wouldn’t make a “30 for 30” about it, though it should at least give you pause in thinking the Gators are destined to be the team to beat in the East, especially when Georgia has been nearly perfect against the division the past 2 years.

It’s funny because when Georgia started that 2-year run, it was after the 2016 season in which it also went 3-3 against East foes with a first-year coach. The Dawgs were actually +0 vs. the East in 2016, with a pair of those losses coming by 3 points or fewer.

Florida is coming off a year in which it lost 3 divisional games by double digits. And yeah, you could argue the Kentucky game was really a 1-score game, but still. None of those 3 games were true road games, either. And in 2 of Florida’s 3 divisional wins, the Gators trailed in the fourth quarter and needed a late comeback to survive (I’d still love to see what could have happened at Vandy had Ke’Shawn Vaughn been able to stay on the field).

In other words, Florida’s only convincing divisional win game against 5-win Tennessee. So that’s 5 of 6 divisional games that the Gators trailed in the fourth quarter last year. Believe it or not, that number was actually higher in 2018 than it was in the disastrous 2017 season.

And while everyone seems fixated in the Georgia matchup as being the lone hurdle that Florida has to clear, let’s not dismiss a Mizzou team that outscored the Gators 83-33 in a pair of blowout wins the past 2 years. Just because Drew Lock is gone doesn’t mean that hurdle is automatically clear. Franks got benched for how bad he was at home against a very mediocre Mizzou defense.

So why bring this up? Is this my way of saying Florida was overrated last year and that the hype is out of control?

Absolutely not. If I were a Gators fan, I’d feel extremely optimistic about the future despite the intra-division inconsistency and the less-than-ideal offseason. Watching what they did against LSU, in the Peach Bowl against Michigan and even on the road at Mississippi State were all extremely impressive performances in their unique way. If Mullen doesn’t have at least 1 East title 5 years from now, I’d be surprised.

But it’s worth addressing because the margin for error in the East is slimmer than usual. With Georgia at this level, even an East team that goes 6-2 in conference play with a win against the Dawgs could be on the outside looking in. This isn’t 2015 or 2016 anymore.

Florida, to its credit, capitalized during an extremely down time in the division to get to Atlanta twice. Those teams played down to their competition and usually got away with it (Jim McElwain went 7-1 in 1-score games in that 2-year stretch).

Times have changed. The division has changed. And while Florida has publicly focused its efforts on dethroning Georgia, there are other East foes standing in its way (it’s also worth noting that Kentucky outplayed the Gators each of the past 2 years and this year’s game is in Lexington). You can’t play with fire as much as Florida did last year and expect to win the division.

It’s interesting because as great of a job as Mullen did last year and at Mississippi State, he’s only had 2 winning seasons in conference play during his 10 seasons as an SEC head coach. Obviously it was an uphill battle to turn around a historically down program in what many believe to be the toughest division in football.

But Mullen is probably the only person who would be considered a top 10 coach nationally who hasn’t won a division title. How long will that follow him? Will 2019 be the first time that one of his teams puts an entire year together in conference play? I don’t know.

All I know is that if Florida is going to get to that level sooner rather than later, another big step lies ahead.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Also our defense was sh*t in our East games and we gave up like 30 points a game on average in those 6 games.

Defense looked really bad and Missouri stomped us in the Swamp and KY took us to the woodshed in the Swamp. Georgia whipped us on a neutral field.

Mac owned the East his first 2 years.:leaving:

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Tough to compare anything that happened before the SCar comeback with what came after. The team was completely different from that point forward. Just gotta hope that same team shows up to start this season.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Tough to compare anything that happened before the SCar comeback with what came after. The team was completely different from that point forward. Just gotta hope that same team shows up to start this season.

Agree, they seemed to be a completely different team starting in the 2nd half of that game (imo it was allowing Franks to run freely). Hopefully that continues. Hopefully we beat Missouri's ass this year too!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Defense looked really bad and Missouri stomped us in the Swamp and KY took us to the woodshed in the Swamp. Georgia whipped us on a neutral field.
Mizzu is going to be a real problem if they are playing well. You never know, they suck one week and lose to a MAC team then beat Ugly the next. It is just their way.

Any team that can pass will destroy our hapless Butter Special safeties, if the DEs dont get the QB first.

Mac owned the East his first 2 years.
You mean until he ran out of Asschump's defense?

He almost lost every game too that wasnt Ole Miss.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
(imo it was allowing Franks to run freely).
Or Franks realizing he should run and gaining confidence. IMO the play calling didnt change much.

One of the GB podcast guys mentioned the Ky game and Clown game was essentially the same game plan once he broke it down play by play.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
While I agree with you 100% with how they looked after starting that comeback, was it because the team came together or was it because the competition over the last part of the season (USCe, Idaho, FSU, and a depleted, indifferent Meatchicken) was not exactly top notch? (Or maybe some combo of the two?)

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
While I agree with you 100% with how they looked after starting that comeback, was it because the team came together or was it because the competition over the last part of the season (USCe, Idaho, FSU, and a depleted, indifferent Meatchicken) was not exactly top notch? (Or maybe some combo of the two?)
Probably more of a combination of the two than we'd like...but when was the last time we finished a season on a high note? One where we actually looked better through the last several games of the year than we did in the beginning. 2008/2009 seasons? Even against some weaker teams sometimes adding some confidence to the program could be invaluable.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know. Id like to think that we have turned a corner but I thought that after the Ole Miss game too.

Id guess it was more of an attitude thing w Franks and i sure hope good Franks is here most of the season. However, regardless, if we get injuries on the OL and we are forced to play a true freshman, it could be really ugly.

Wait and see.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I know. Id like to think that we have turned a corner but I thought that after the Ole Miss game too.

Id guess it was more of an attitude thing w Franks and i sure hope good Franks is here most ofnthe season.

Wait and see.

We'll know right out of the gate. Miami has a good team (top 20 talent), even though they bombed their season. They brought in a few good transfers and I expect their D to be pretty good (the O is going to be their problem, especially w/ that 5'6 QB). Our new OL could have problems w/ Miami's DL and Franks will have to make smart decisions. We'll see....

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Probably more of a combination of the two than we'd like...but when was the last time we finished a season on a high note? One where we actually looked better through the last several games of the year than we did in the beginning. 2008/2009 seasons? Even against some weaker teams sometimes adding some confidence to the program could be invaluable.
Hoping you are correct, but I was fooled by the last two coaching staffs at one point or another and confess to being a bit gun shy still. (Does that mean I am a dumper but wannabe pumper?)

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hoping you are correct, but I was fooled by the last two coaching staffs at one point or another and confess to being a bit gun shy still. (Does mean I am a dumper but wannabe pumper?)

Understandable that you’d be gun shy...but not sure what ever made you optimistic about the previous 2 staffs. Chump had 2012 with an ok record but a horrific offense and 3 seasons of crap. Butters had an ok start his first season and then crap. My point was at least this staff showed progress from beginning to end...something we haven’t seen from a new staff since Meyer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We'll know right out of the gate. Miami has a good team (top 20 talent), even though they bombed their season.
So.... they bombed their season, brought back the mediocre DC who couldnt stop anyone and hired a playcaller who couldnt score in the MAC?

That is a good team?

:lmao2:

Vandy will be a tougher out.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So.... they bombed their season, brought back the mediocre DC who couldnt stop anyone and hired a playcaller who couldnt score in the MAC?

That is a good team?

:lmao2:

Vandy will be a tougher out.

You're probably right, but they still have talent on their roster. If they beat up our rookie OL our O won't look so good and it could be a closer game than any of us want. You never know how an opener will go in a game like this. I've seen too many head scratchers in my years to chalk this up as a MAC team/easy win.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Understandable that you’d be gun shy...but not sure what ever made you optimistic about the previous 2 staffs. Chump had 2012 with an ok record but a horrific offense and 3 seasons of crap. Butters had an ok start his first season and then crap. My point was at least this staff showed progress from beginning to end...something we haven’t seen from a new staff since Meyer.
Chimp seemed to be recruiting well (of course the devil was in the details - no stars on "O"), and that second season fooled me into thinking that maybe, just maybe.... As for Butters, it was the Ole Miss game where it looked like we had a QB and a potentially good team, maybe, just maybe.... Clearly I was looking at the program through Orange and Blue glasses. As for the new staff, I've said before all the places I think things are looking up, but there are issues on the lines (and linebacker too, I guess), as well as in recruiting, that concern me, & while I don't think he's CDM's equal as a coach, Kirby is putting together one hell of a roster at Ugly. Butters (and Chimp to a lesser extent) had the advantage of a really down SEC East; CDM is not so fortunate. I do take comfort that UF is not even close to the dumpster fire FSU is right now!

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
It's possible that we'll be a better team with a record not as good as last year. We're on the right track to getting back to relevance, but McElwain left a mess. Mullen did great last year, but each year is a stepping stone.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's possible that we'll be a better team with a record not as good as last year.
With the holes in the roster getting worse, it is also quite likely year 1 is his best year.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
My personal belief having watched a lot of college football is the 2nd season tells you if you’ve got a keeper or if you have a dud. Dabo seems to be the exception. But for the most part it is true.

Kirby’s first season was pretty mediocre. Saban’s first season was pretty mediocre at Bama. Urban did not light the world on fire his first season at UF. You could take everyone one of those coaches and nitpick their first season and explain why they are not going to get over the hump in year two.

The first season is a mulligan. Once the 2nd season is in the books you typically know.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You're probably right, but they still have talent on their roster. If they beat up our rookie OL our O won't look so good and it could be a closer game than any of us want. You never know how an opener will go in a game like this. I've seen too many head scratchers in my years to chalk this up as a MAC team/easy win.

Same here - Miami has enough talent on defense to where if our 4 new O linemen aren't up to the task early they could give us some problems.

I keep having flashbacks to that 2013 game. We were coming off a Sugar Bowl appearance and fell apart that game.

I keep thinking of all this crap which seemed to happen all game especially late in the game.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator