Hurricane Ian / Nicole Thread

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
UF just formally announced no classes Wednesday-Friday. Will make decision for Family Weekend tomorrow. I'm guessing football announcement by tomorrow night.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I live in the suburbs just EAST of Tampa, so we don't have the flooding concerns like our neighbors who live closer to the water. My biggest concern is loss of power, and I have a generator for that (though I really hate the thought of lugging it out to the backyard and firing it up).

Prayers for all in the path.
I’m hoping mine will start, just filled up 5 gas cans.
we left Steinhatchee late this afternoon came back to Lake City
no flooding just lots of pine trees
Good luck everyone

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
It's laughable that it won't be cancelled - they aren't going to want people traveling into possibly the heart of a storm for a football game. Expect a formal cancellation by Wednesday at the latest.
Gator talk tonight said that even if the storm passes , first responders could have more important concerns than a football game.
On a side note Billy said players not staying in their lane or just missing the call we’re to blame for Tn long gains. Said Fl. Had the right call on the busted plays, didn’t call Out any players by name.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
On a more serious note, I will be working a lot one way or another (mostly desk/computer work)

Two of our four agency Incident Management Teams (IMTs) are already rostered and on standby. The first out (Gold) will be managing and providing logistical support for USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) teams. You can Google some info about USARS Urban Search & Rescue Task Force Locations but they come in a number of configurations with a variety of equipment. Most of these will be prepositioned to begin work in the worst areas for rescue (or recovery) - either trapped in buildings or stranded by high water. They come from a number of states and arrive ready to work and are self-sufficient for three days.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
My IMT (Red) does not have an assignment yet but will likely fall under one of three categories, depending on need:
  • Large scale water, food, and ice (ice might no longer be an item, not sure) distribution to individuals at large distribution points, usually in conjunction with Florida National Guard. These are usually set up in the most heavily damaged areas are designed for high traffic flow - drive up, stay in your car, get loaded and get out. This is stuff we get by the truckload, and what people should be looking for AFTER USING THE SUPPLIES YOU SHOULD ALREADY HAVE!
  • Logistical Staging Area management
  • Road clearing chain-saw crews. Will work in with local governments. After Michael in 2018, once roads were done, forestry crews were still working for several weeks in rural areas just clearing access for people to get into their properties. Not cleanup, just access.
If my team doesn't go out I will be supporting our chainsaw crews in Marion County or possibly at the sheriff's EOC center.

If there is time I will pass on anything that might be interesting.
Been on Andrew, Charlie, Francis, Jeanne, Wilma, Ike (Texas), Irma, Michael, Dorian (the storm that wasn't) Sally, and probably a few others that don't come right to mind.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
On a more serious note, I will be working a lot one way or another (mostly desk/computer work)

Two of our four agency Incident Management Teams (IMTs) are already rostered and on standby. The first out (Gold) will be managing and providing logistical support for USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) teams. You can Google some info about USARS Urban Search & Rescue Task Force Locations but they come in a number of configurations with a variety of equipment. Most of these will be prepositioned to begin work in the worst areas for rescue (or recovery) - either trapped in buildings or stranded by high water. They come from a number of states and arrive ready to work and are self-sufficient for three days.

1664245988872.gif

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My IMT (Red) does not have an assignment yet but will likely fall under one of three categories, depending on need:
  • Large scale water, food, and ice (ice might no longer be an item, not sure) distribution to individuals at large distribution points, usually in conjunction with Florida National Guard. These are usually set up in the most heavily damaged areas are designed for high traffic flow - drive up, stay in your car, get loaded and get out. This is stuff we get by the truckload, and what people should be looking for AFTER USING THE SUPPLIES YOU SHOULD ALREADY HAVE!
  • Road clearing chain-saw crews. Will work in with local governments. After Michael in 2018, once roads were done, forestry crews were still working for several weeks in rural areas just clearing access for people to get into their properties. Not cleanup, just access.
If my team doesn't go out I will be supporting our chainsaw crews in Marion County or possibly at the sheriff's EOC center.

Been on Andrew, Charlie, Francis, Jeanne, Wilma, Ike (Texas), Michael, Dorian (the storm that wasn't) Sally, and probably a few others that don't come right to mind.

1664246009428.gif

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@Treebeard On a serious note, tons of respect for what you do. Telling people my dad was part of post-Andrew has always been one of the things I’m proudest of. So thanks in advance and be safe.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'll say this, our media guys do a great job. And I love how Napier took responsibility. He's still got my vote. Although losing to UT is tough to take.
I'm with you Rocket.

Almost all of my Vol-fan acquaintances are not giving me any shyt. They know they dodged a serious bullet. In fact they make the comment that they were taken to the end by a bunch of Fresh/Sophs. One in fact told me we better enjoy this one cause with that staff we're going to get our teeth knock in next year and could be another streak. They deep down want to "be back", but they know they aren't and especially with PhatPhil 2.0.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019

Been on Andrew, Charlie, Francis, Jeanne, Wilma, Ike (Texas), Irma, Michael, Dorian (the storm that wasn't) Sally, and probably a few others that don't come right to mind.
Thanks for all the good input and thank you for being on the line in these emergency management situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator