UF WR corps not in shambles

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I need to log in on my laptop and give you 50 facepalms. Jackass.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Using the most pass happy coach in Florida's history as a comparison is a little disingenuous for you.

It’s actually not. It’s the entire point. The most pass happy coach we’ve ever had, with perhaps the best equipped roster he ever had, threw for 84 yards a game more than Mullen did in 2018 with an inherited roster that weren’t recruited to run his system and had 2 camps to learn it.

If I used some other coach, or Spurrier’s ‘92 or ‘99 seasons as my comparison years, yes, that would be disingenuous. The extreme in terms of circumstances is what makes it valid. We’re not ever going to be as pass happy as we were in the ‘90s(even if Steve were hired tomorrow, but that’s a conversation for another day). But it’s not quite as bad as some want to make it out. I guarantee if asked to make a spot prediction, few if any would’ve guessed the disparity was less than 150 yards per.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Somebody look up the stats.
What was Mullen's attempted pass/run ratio since 2006? Granted Meyer was more risk adverse than Mullen but I'll bet 2006, when Mullen had a competent passer, he had a higher pass/run ratio. Then look at his record at MSU. Higher pass/run ration when he had a better passing QB. Or just pull his ratio last time he had a decent passing QB at MSU. I'm curious what his highest P/R ratio was.
Look at Spurdogs. Hell you don't have to do first half second half. Look at games that were blowouts vs games that were tight. Willing to bet Spurrier wasn't even close to 50/50 in tight games.

2006 UF: 47.38% of plays were passes

Mullen runs quite a bit most years but does adjust to what the situation is at QB:

2009: 33.85% of plays were passes
2010: 32.67%
2011: 41.96%
2012: 51.69% (Starting QB couldn't run at all)
2013: 46.85% (Prescott took over)
2014: 43.30% (Prescott)
2015: 56.81% (Prescott)
2016: 44.60%
2017: 36.10%
2018: 40.79% (Franks -from 2nd half of SC game we only passed about 34% of the time) (35.7% against FSU and Michigan)

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Screen passes arent really passes. It is just the spread version of a toss sweep.

I wonder what % of our plays in 2018 were passing plays that the pass actually went beyond the line of scrimmage? It seemed we mostly threw those swing type passes or threw it pretty far.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder what % of our plays in 2018 were passing plays that the pass actually went beyond the line of scrimmage? It seemed we mostly threw those swing type passes or threw it pretty far.
I dont have access to those stats but it is a lot. Perhaps someone has PFF access and can look them up.
I
remember Quezzie on twitter talking about Kadarius' average pass reception was 2 yards and 10ish YAC and giving a face palm to how short the passes were to get that average.

Personally I dont like throwing in front of the LBs unless that they are playing super soft.

It is hard to sell that passing game to WRs. Always has been.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We seemed to get more plays ran also from that point of the SC game.
This can't be overstated. We seem to operate(especially Franks) at a higher level when we maintain possession and get into the flow with our running game leading the way. I wish we could turn the passing game on a little quicker especially in the first half of games but Franks seems like he has to get into the flow before he spins the ball with confidence. If you ever notice he seems "tight" in the first half and often throws several bad balls until the end of the 2nd quarter. Maybe having 2 full years experience will help?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah. Spurrier was chucking the ball 30 yards. Also he might attempt 3 in a row before one was caught but the excitement was that he was going further downfield more often than anyone else.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I actually don't recall Spurrier chucking it that often. There were posts and square outs and curls and fades and TEs over the middle. But not all-out heave-hos like Franks does.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I actually don't recall Spurrier chucking it that often. There were posts and square outs and curls and fades and TEs over the middle. But not all-out heave-hos like Franks does.
Yeah, most of the routes were 13 ish yards, behind the linebackers and in front of the safeties usually

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, most of the routes were 13 ish yards, behind the linebackers and in front of the safeties usually

This is pretty much how I remember it as well. The spacing and route tree also caused a lot of DBs to be out of position to be of much help, which created a lot of big plays after the catch. It also created his hitch-n-go, which is why Cody(I believe) bit on the Johnson's pass to Quez. If we'd spent the whole game going deep, that play probably doesn't work.

As it was, suck it noles.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Screen passes arent really passes. It is just the spread version of a toss sweep.

Spurrier loved the shovel pass. Errict Rhett had 153 receptions at UF in 4 years (55 as a junior for only 400 yards). I imagine about half of those were shovel passes. I loved that play to be honest. It opened up a lot of options.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Spurrier loved the shovel pass. Errict Rhett had 153 receptions at UF in 4 years (55 as a junior for only 400 yards). I imagine about half of those were shovel passes. I loved that play to be honest. It opened up a lot of options.

I loved it with Hernandez too

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. It also created his hitch-n-go, which is why Cody(I believe) bit on the Johnson's pass to Quez..
Pretty sure we tricked them, iirc. By then we figured out they had stolen all of our signals. We audibled (I think even handsignaled which should have been unnecessary at home) a hitch then ran the hitch and go.

Fvkk all Nulls

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.