UF's Football Facilities - Finally begins (on lacrosse)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I am just saying be optimistic about how quickly UF can be back. I have seen it before.

As far as Foley goes, I think that trio mentioned above have certainly done the damage to Foley's legacy that they should have. So he did not escape legacy wise his football coach hiring foolishness.

Gotta get the right guy/fit.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Let's put it like this: in today's CFB you need a top tier coaching staff/strength staff and a huge secondary staff of people who actually know the game to win. However you also need the "Jimmy & Joes" along with those things to win championships. Your not competing for Championships if you don't have top flight facilities to bring those kids to your university and that's just the way it is nowadays. We're not winning big until those cheap f*cks in Gainesville understand that!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Let's put it like this: in today's CFB you need a top tier coaching staff/strength staff and a huge secondary staff of people who actually know the game to win. However you also need the "Jimmy & Joes" along with those things to win championships. Your not competing for Championships if you don't have top flight facilities to bring those kids to your university and that's just the way it is nowadays. We're not winning big until those cheap f*cks in Gainesville understand that!

A couple of points:

1. It is not clear that you need a huge anything staff. You need a top tier staff. Too many cooks can indeed spoil the broth. I will point out that UAL got all of these extra staffers after they started winning under Saban, not before. In some ways they are just Saban showing off.

2. It is pretty clear you need top flight coaching to get to the top 5 or 10. Great recruiting and mediocre coaching may be you 11 to 25, but it will not get you into the very top tier.

3. Once you get into the top tier you need luck. You need to have signed the right kids. You need to have signed Danny Wuerffel not Danny Kanell. There is essentially no way to know who among the top 5 to 10 QBs will be the best QB in college. There is essentially no way to know which of the various RB with decent size and speed who average 10+ yards per carry in high school will be Emmitt Smith.

4. Finally, it is not clear the UAA is cheap as much as Foley wanted the praise for discovering the next big thing in football coaching. Now it is in Foley's interest for Stricklin NOT to follow Foley up and discover the next big thing in football coaching. So I suspect that Foley is pushing for the biggest names possible this time around so Stricklin in his first hire does reflectively make Foley look worse than he does now in hiring football coaches.

MrMyjestic

Oct 6, 2017
We need a HC that can recruit as well as coach. New facilities will be an incentive to get them here.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
So assuming baseball has use of Mckethan in the spring of 2019 construction of the football facility starts in the summer and is ready by fall of 2020.

http://www.gatorsports.com/2017/10/uf-looking-build-baseball-stadium/

UF looking to build baseball stadium
The University Athletic Association has posted an ad for an architect and design team for a new 5,500-seat baseball stadium that would be scheduled to be ready for the 2020 season at a cost of $45,878,800.

The ad does not specify a site for the new stadium.

“We are looking at several options related to our athletic facilities master plan and are not prepared to discuss any further details at this time,” said UAA spokesman Steve McClain.

The proposal includes plans for coaches’ offices, a shaded canopy area, premium club seats and berm seating. It would also include a weight room (the players currently lift in the football stadium) and a 360-degree concourse.

Construction would begin in late August of next year and take 40 weeks to complete.

UF’s original plan was to renovate McKethan Stadium to the tune of $30 million as part of a $100 million facilities improvement program.

The Gators won the program’s first national championship in J

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Yep, Foley was just dumb as a rock. There we were in the 2005-2008 era with big wins multiple sports and he should have been hitting up donors for facilities upgrades then. When you are on top is the time to go for it! I know he started out as a ticket guy and I just have no idea how he rose the ranks in the UAA.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yep, Foley was just dumb as a rock. There we were in the 2005-2008 era with big wins multiple sports and he should have been hitting up donors for facilities upgrades then. When you are on top is the time to go for it! I know he started out as a ticket guy and I just have no idea how he rose the ranks in the UAA.

Agree. You strike while the iron is hot!

He certainly hit up the average fan for a big increase in booster fees at that time! Now they're begging people to buy tickets!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1. It is not clear that you need a huge anything staff. You need a top tier staff. Too many cooks can indeed spoil the broth. I will point out that UAL got all of these extra staffers after they started winning under Saban, not before. In some ways they are just Saban showing off.
You're just as weird on this point as you are everything else. This simply isn't true. It was one of the things that Saban negotiated. He wanted a huge support staff like he had in the NFL, and Bammer obliged. The difference in preparation was immediately apparent by the second season.

He wasn't a GREAT coach at LSU, after all he lost to Zook in his one really good season (NC). Most of the time he was a 7-5 guy. The staff made all the difference.

These arent cook in the kitchen. They are young minds and old coaches in the bowels of the building, cutting film of the other teams, reviewing film of Bammers own practices, and reviewing film and scouting HS players. It's just superior preparation, not too many cooks.

There is only one cook.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So assuming baseball has use of Mckethan in the spring of 2019 construction of the football facility starts in the summer and is ready by fall of 2020.
Decades late.

This should have been done in the 90s.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
For as long as I can remember Florida has been slow with building facilities. I remember the old Florida gym also known as Alligator Alley. All the other SEC schools (except Vanderbilt) were building new basketball arenas except Florida which kept the old Alligator Alley. President O'Connell wanted the new gym, but the students would not vote on a tuition increase to fund it. That is one of the reasons that when the new gym was built it was named the O'Connell Center because of his efforts. It really hurt our basketball program that we didn't make an upgrade in our basketball facilities for years.

At the end of Coach Dickey's time at UF we were dead last in the SEC in football facilities. It took Charley Pell to come in and get Dave the Wendy's guy and Ben Hill Griffin on board to expand and update Florida Field which of course was renamed Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Then we all know how when Spurrier was winning big we were falling behind in facilities again. We saw the state help FSU with the upgrades at Doak Campbell while we sat by. We used to own the state of Florida. No more. Now besides FSU and a resurgent Miami we have USF and UCF to contend with. It's part of a changing demographic in our state.

It speaks volumes that there are two schools in Mississippi that some say have better facilities than us and that we had to hire an athletic director from Starkville who knew something about facilities upgrades to come here and show us how it is done. Volumes man.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I think it goes beyond the IPF. There's plenty about BHG that could use an upgrade as well. And, yes, it is an arms race. You either agree to the need to compete or your don't.
I heard some Bull Gators wives complain about the condition of BHG at the FL-ga game.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Foley starved that goose for one reason only. Foley wanted to be a king maker. He wanted more of the praise he got for picking Donovan from Marshall after couple of ok seasons. So it was not bargain basement thinking or shopping, but rather an attempt to make Foley's name even bigger.

So when he actually had the power to hire a football coach, he went and got Zook, Muschamp and McElwain. If any of them had hit, he would be viewed as the greatest AD ever as he wants to be view. He wanted that type of coach. Had he been able to hire an established big name, he would have passed. What glory would such a hire bring to Foley?
Remember when Fooley would triumphantly walk around the field waving at a football game we were winning before it was over. What an egotistical azzhole.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier? It was on Foley to keep up with the Jones's as AD. After Foley is gone for good I guarantee things will come out about him that will change those Foleyites opinions of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb