Recruiting Underappreciated aspects of Dan Mullen's Recruiting

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Here are three aspects to Mullen's "portfolio" approach to recruiting that tend to get overlooked in evaluating his overall impact in this area:

1) Innovative use of Transfers with great success

2) Culture of Selflessness allows for more players to succeed (see WR corp)

3) Recruiting "Chess pieces" for maximum utility

I'm not saying things are perfect in recruiting at this point by any means, but there is more upside than all the black and white commentary we tend to get around here. Any other aspects beyond "the stars" I may have missed?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The need to take a transfer points to holes, he gets a pass because of the roster he inherited. But by year 4, the only reason to take a transfer should be the guy is some stud that will make a huge impact like Greenard. The exception is a high 4* or 5* bailing due to program turmoil and better us than a rival getting him.

He does a great job of selling the “team” idea, and getting everyone to buy in, we have lost a couple of guys who thought they should be seeing the field more, but fvkem.

Chess pieces? Every team goes after that player that fits their scheme and need.

We did better this year so far than last year. Need some serious stud power across the board to compete for all the marbles.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Steele was innovative in his use of the transfer portal.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
If this doesn't spike the run to a million then I may have to break out the nuclear option - the unappreciated aspects of Jeremy Foley's tenure as AD. If that doesn't do it then nothing will!
That by itself would get the the donk fired up. He’d get ya to 1 million all by himself

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure LSU, Ohio St, or Oklahoma have big holes in their recruiting and they seem to have had some degree of success with transfers.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I love that no matter what he does there’s no middle ground and he’s a ****ty coach or a complete genius..he’s very polarizing and that makes for some fun discussion

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I understand the points you are trying to make and I can appreciate the positive spin you are trying to assign to Cousin Eddie and that he is alone in these views, but if I may:

1) I don;t think there is anything innovative about the grad transfers we have taken. In fact every school will gladly take a transfer if he can play. Not knocking Cousin Eddie, but please don;t make it sound like cousin eddie has some secret sauce on tranfers

2) Many if not all coaches preach selflessness. You are not wrong about having a nice, deep WR corps, but Alabama's is not too shabby and with 3 potential 1st round WR draft selections in this year's draft, there is another example of selflessness. I think it is a great trait to have and seems inherent in most really good teams.

3) As With #1 I, think all coaches take a guy or 2 a year they think they can turn into a "player" or that he can be a swiss army knife type. Not knocking, just making an argument that Cousin Eddie does not have a patent on this one either. Speaking of "Chess" pieces we happen to have one that I have deemed the "King" b/c he seldom sees any action and rarely moves: TONEY

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I can appreciate some of the things you are saying here. BUT.......with Mullen being on this slow and steady build is ok for now. But he does need to keep the measurable progress going and see steady improvement on the recruiting as well. I see what he's doing and not being overly critical. I'll play the steady game for now, but yes. He does have some good qualities that may be overlooked, but has to build the whole package. He's got the opportunity now, for sure. Has to get it done.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
The time is ripe for a rebuild and Dan is moving steadily. He’s establishing trust in his program and restoring the Gator brand. This helps with high schools around the state and with transfers. It also suggests Strickland is giving him a long leash for the rebuild. If I had to guess, plus 3 after facilities are built. After that the Boosters will hold sway based on desire for elite performance.

I also agree he excels at getting buy-in from players regarding the team concept and doing things the right way as a complete student athlete. Meyer promised that, but Dan seems to be delivering it better. As a fan and alumnus I’m proud of the program being run like that.

Knox needs to be gone, but loyalty and continuity are big facets of Dan’s brand. So, I think those of us who want Knox canned are going to be sorely disappointed. Then again, Dan’s definition of the Gator Standard also involves winning and putting his people in a position to succeed. Knox isn’t succeeding. I think best we can hope for is Knox will get reassigned to an office position and a new RB coach who can recruit and coach is brought in.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The time is ripe for a rebuild and Dan is moving steadily. He’s establishing trust in his program and restoring the Gator brand. This helps with high schools around the state and with transfers. It also suggests Strickland is giving him a long leash for the rebuild. If I had to guess, plus 3 after facilities are built. After that the Boosters will hold sway based on desire for elite performance.

I also agree he excels at getting buy-in from players regarding the team concept and doing things the right way as a complete student athlete. Meyer promised that, but Dan seems to be delivering it better. As a fan and alumnus I’m proud of the program being run like that.

Knox needs to be gone, but loyalty and continuity are big facets of Dan’s brand. So, I think those of us who want Knox canned are going to be sorely disappointed. Then again, Dan’s definition of the Gator Standard also involves winning and putting his people in a position to succeed. Knox isn’t succeeding. I think best we can hope for is Knox will get reassigned to an office position and a new RB coach who can recruit and coach is brought in.

Facilities: Would be nice if we were using some equipment beyond a pick and shovel

Urbs: Or should I call him Leyer? He is the ultimate in Al Davis motto. "Just win Baby" I have no problem with it but Urb's is 100% mercenary.

Firings" Agree the staff needs to be overhauled and I want NO reassignments. Telling a guy he sux but allowing him to hang around is futile. Even if they retire I want them GONE: See Fooley. Stenches remain for a reason.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Here are three aspects to Mullen's "portfolio" approach to recruiting that tend to get overlooked in evaluating his overall impact in this area:
1) Innovative use of Transfers with great success

2) Culture of Selflessness allows for more players to succeed (see WR corp)

3) Recruiting "Chess pieces" for maximum utility

I'm not saying things are perfect in recruiting at this point by any means, but there is more upside than all the black and white commentary we tend to get around here. Any other aspects beyond "the stars" I may have missed?

FYI, this article better expresses what I was getting at for point 1 about transfers

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.