Damien Pierce lighting it up in Houston

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
star wars GIF

My first full-time job. (scheduled 55 hours per week - actual work - 65-80. )
All that overtime money, amirite? :lol:

Alex.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
When Spurrier came back to UF to be the HBC in 1990, Pic N Save signed him to a sponsorship deal and put out a Gator clothing line.

Pic N Save.

For those of you too young to remember, imagine a poor man’s Big Lots.

Dunno how much the deal was for, but if was an NIL deal, I’d guess a 2 star long snapper would turn his nose up at it.

Alex.
Too young? I can remember when the Pic N Save on 13th and 23rd was a JM Fields. I spent many hours in the toy department there.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You know, I think with this I may HATE Dypshyt Dan more than Zook.

Why do you hate Zook?

Zook busted his ass trying to succeed in a job that was clearly well beyond his capabilities. Much like Muschamp, Zook was set up for failure by an AD that allowed his ego to cloud his judgment.
Hate the AD that made these bad decisions not the poor slobs that were selected.

If you want to hate former gators coaches, focus on the deliberate imposters and egomaniacs like Mullen and Sharkf*****r both of which had the potential for success but were too fat and lazy to commit to the job.

One example to calibrate the difference is recruiting. Both Zook and Muschamp recruited very well but lacked the capability to leverage talent into results. Meanwhile Butters and Dipshyt sat back and committed the minimum effort possible while convincing themselves that they could out coach everyone else due to their superior intelligence.

I despise the last two coaches we’ve had to put up with while I blame Fooley for the other two failures.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Too young? I can remember when the Pic N Save on 13th and 23rd was a JM Fields. I spent many hours in the toy department there.

Back when Moses and Pharaoh and I used to drive our chariots down XVIII street, it used to be a bbq joint. Best mastodon ribs I’ve ever had.

:lol:

Seriously though, I wonder which one of us has the longest history in Gainesville. Years ago, I posted a fascinating oral history from a professor about his days as a student. So much interesting history.

Alex.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My brothers and lived in that dept. when the parents went to JM Fields. I still remember it well.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Back when Moses and Pharaoh and I used to drive our chariots down XVIII street, it used to be a bbq joint. Best mastodon ribs I’ve ever had.

Seriously though, I wonder which one of us has the longest history in Gainesville. Years ago, I posted a fascinating oral history from a professor about his days as a student. So much interesting history.

Alex.
I'm actually only 60 with a knee that feels a hundred. I've been in and around Gainesville since I was 5. Definitely seen a lot of changes through the years but nothing like the last 10.
University Ave. and the university it self is hardly recognizable.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Why do you hate Zook?

Zook busted his ass trying to succeed in a job that was clearly well beyond his capabilities. Much like Muschamp, Zook was set up for failure by an AD that allowed his ego to cloud his judgment.
Hate the AD that made these bad decisions not the poor slobs that were selected.

If you want to hate former gators coaches, focus on the deliberate imposters and egomaniacs like Mullen and Sharkf*****r both of which had the potential for success but were too fat and lazy to commit to the job.

One example to calibrate the difference is recruiting. Both Zook and Muschamp recruited very well but lacked the capability to leverage talent into results. Meanwhile Butters and Dipshyt sat back and committed the minimum effort possible while convincing themselves that they could out coach everyone else due to their superior intelligence.

I despise the last two coaches we’ve had to put up with while I blame Fooley for the other two failures.
They all have their place in the list of bad hires. But for me Zook will always be #1 if not now #1b. I still cannot believe that UF hired a former coordinator that Spurrier Demoted. Zook lost it with me not only with that, but all the stupid 2pt conversions. Most of all it was over after the hail mary against UT in Gainesville. UT with no time outs, Zook calls one and allows Clausen to throw the HM with no time in the half.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They all have their place in the list of bad hires. But for me Zook will always be #1 if not now #1b. I still cannot believe that UF hired a former coordinator that Spurrier Demoted. Zook lost it with me not only with that, but all the stupid 2pt conversions. Most of all it was over after the hail mary against UT in Gainesville. UT with no time outs, Zook calls one and allows Clausen to throw the HM with no time in the half.

Your quote above “I still cannot believe that UF hired a former coordinator that Spurrier demoted” makes my point for me.
Don’t blame Zook blame the arrogant idiot that hired him.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017

I think last year I mathematically proved Mullen was comparable, if not worse. Especially once you factor in strength of schedule. Dan had cakewalks for scheduled by comparison. Zook beat National Champions, Dan never beat anyone finishing AP top 5 and then there’s recruiting.

I think Zook is even not as bad as McElwain. I know we are comparing crap here, but if we are comparing crap, I’ll do it with #’s and context.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think last year I mathematically proved Mullen was comparable, if not worse. Especially once you factor in strength of schedule. Dan had cakewalks for scheduled by comparison. Zook beat National Champions, Dan never beat anyone finishing AP top 5 and then there’s recruiting.

I think Zook is even not as bad as McElwain. I know we are comparing crap here, but if we are comparing crap, I’ll do it with #’s and context.
Yeah, I get it. For me it was more that I just didn't like Zook. Not how he compared to the others as they were all bad in their way. Just never liked him, even when he was on Spurrier's staff.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Alex.
Your mom made some oral history...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Of all the stiffs after and surrounding sos and urbs, zook was the least sucky and it wasn't close. He couldn't win, but he could croot, he could balance the roster, and he left us stockpiled for the next few seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.