Damien Pierce lighting it up in Houston

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Had Trask been playing that game, we would have won by 40 instead of needing a miracle.
The bold part is the key to the "Franks Saga" and why I do have a bit of sympathy for him. Franks was playing that game because of Mullen. Franks was never fully developed at any position because of Mullen. As fans, we started to take our hate out on Franks before we took it out on Mullen. That was misplaced anger at the time. It really wasn't until the ankle injury and Trask stepping in that the laser focus of hate went (rightfully) on Mullen. Yes, Franks shushed the crowd and got antagonistic a bit towards the fan base, but I get it. Put your "hindsight glasses" on given what we know now: you had Franks, trying his giraffe best, but under the "expert tutelage" of Mullen and crew, all while the crowd was turning on him, and then sidelined forever once it was clear to genius Dan that Trask had to play in spite of his best efforts to keep him on the bench.

Also, Son #1 had two conversations with Franks at UF. Both outside of Simon's downtown, both lasted about 30 minutes, both times Franks was alone (like in that video). First was random and Franks talked to him first, second time Franks recognized him and started the conversation. Son #1 said he was truly a nice guy, not a douchebag. It also indicates how alone and isolated he probably felt at that time.

So I get Franks' attitude/feelings. However, he wouldn't be a paid player in the NFL if it weren't for UF. The legacy of our last 3 or so coaches has clearly been "providing the NFL with NFL base talent, but at CFL/Arena salary."

I blame Mullen for my frustration with Franks as a player. I am LOATHE to call players "kids," but in this type of scenario/situation, mental development wise, Franks was a "kid" in terms of coping.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The bold part is the key to the "Franks Saga" and why I do have a bit of sympathy for him. Franks was playing that game because of Mullen. Franks was never fully developed at any position because of Mullen. As fans, we started to take our hate out on Franks before we took it out on Mullen. That was misplaced anger at the time. It really wasn't until the ankle injury and Trask stepping in that the laser focus of hate went (rightfully) on Mullen. Yes, Franks shushed the crowd and got antagonistic a bit towards the fan base, but I get it. Put your "hindsight glasses" on given what we know now: you had Franks, trying his giraffe best, but under the "expert tutelage" of Mullen and crew, all while the crowd was turning on him, and then sidelined forever once it was clear to genius Dan that Trask had to play in spite of his best efforts to keep him on the bench.

Also, Son #1 had two conversations with Franks at UF. Both outside of Simon's downtown, both lasted about 30 minutes, both times Franks was alone (like in that video). First was random and Franks talked to him first, second time Franks recognized him and started the conversation. Son #1 said he was truly a nice guy, not a douchebag. It also indicates how alone and isolated he probably felt at that time.

So I get Franks' attitude/feelings. However, he wouldn't be a paid player in the NFL if it weren't for UF. The legacy of our last 3 or so coaches has clearly been "providing the NFL with NFL base talent, but at CFL/Arena salary."

I blame Mullen for my frustration with Franks as a player. I am LOATHE to call players "kids," but in this type of scenario/situation, mental development wise, Franks was a "kid" in terms of coping.

Jim McElwain was still the coach that year.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Just remember to treat your elders with respect and deference. We are older, more experienced and wiser than you younger pukes. And gey off my lawn.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Whatevs, same guy as far as I'm concerned... I'm not editing my post, I was on a roll, and we didn't stop when the germans bombed pearl harbor either!!! :lol:

Agree. No need to edit.

And inaccurate timeline aside, I do agree with you. We’re a lot tougher on the players than is probably warranted. Franks was a project from day 1. He was failed by two staffs here, and was likely never cut out to be a QB. But he played hard and had some good moments to close 2018. Ironically that shushing game was a great game to be at.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Agree. No need to edit.

And inaccurate timeline aside, I do agree with you. We’re a lot tougher on the players than is probably warranted. Franks was a project from day 1. He was failed by two staffs here, and was likely never cut out to be a QB. But he played hard and had some good moments to close 2018. Ironically that shushing game was a great game to be at.
Yup, we were there... McElwain called a perfect game that day. :lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The shushing game was Year 1 of Mullen…told people to shush after being benched for Trask the game before only for Trask to break his foot on a trick play in practice.
I know... i was playing off of my previously screwed up coaching timeline! You're a bigger lawyer dick than sofla! THANKS Mr. Factual! :lol:

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Simplest way to put it is that Ron Zook simply did not have the brains of a head coach, but certainly tried his best. What makes a guy like Mullen infuriating is that he does have that, and is too lazy and content to just be well paid to actually become elite. Zook would have coached just as hard for half the money, and sort of showed that by turning down an extension after 03. Mullen would’ve given the same effort at twice the pay. Not sure which is worse, someone who tries but fails or someone who doesn’t care, but I tend to lean toward the second.

Anyway, this thread is about a great gator getting his shot. Get it back on topic or serious bans are in the near future.
Mullen was a thief.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

@stephenPE like this puff post so fast he broke his mouse, while orgasming at the same time.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
@stephenPE like this puff post so fast he broke his mouse, while orgasming at the same time.
at my age you take those oragamiasmmms where you can find them.........
Fortune Teller GIF by NeighborlyNotary®

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator