Damien Pierce lighting it up in Houston

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. They were integral, so he was integral. Unappreciative stephenpe has relegated this Gator legend to little more than a janitor at a bank. It’s insulting, but not surprising.
Double Integrals!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Of all the stiffs after and surrounding sos and urbs, zook was the least sucky and it wasn't close. He couldn't win, but he could croot, he could balance the roster, and he left us stockpiled for the next few seasons.
donkey kong arcade GIF by lilcozynostril

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Of all the stiffs after and surrounding sos and urbs, zook was the least sucky and it wasn't close. He couldn't win, but he could croot, he could balance the roster, and he left us stockpiled for the next few seasons.
We've had this silly argument a thousand times. Zook inherited a national powerhouse with a huge brand that recruited itself. JBoss could have recruited the same or better classes during that time period.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Perfect. If he isn’t an idiot we win a few more games. Same with McElwain, and maybe even WM.

But if Mullen plays Trask in 2018, you could make a real argument that 2019 or 2020–if only by blind luck—could’ve been a title year. Instead we Mullen’d it up.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Perfect. If he isn’t an idiot we win a few more games. Same with McElwain, and maybe even WM.

But if Mullen plays Trask in 2018, you could make a real argument that 2019 or 2020–if only by blind luck—could’ve been a title year. Instead we Mullen’d it up.
Fat Todd would like a word... And another cheeseburger and pack of camels.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Zook never won a fckin game for us. Occasionally the team would rise above his incompetence and secure a win. And he wasn't much of a recruiter once he left Florida.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fat Todd would like a word... And another cheeseburger and pack of camels.

Right. But another elective part of his time here. A good DC, with CJH, Zuniga, Reese, Grenard, etc. plus an acclimated Trask with Pitts, VanJ, Grimes, Swain, Toney and Perine/Pierce in the backfield. Even as it was, with the stupidity, they had a lead on the eventual Champs at half. If he plays his hand correctly from day 1, that’s a title team. Not sure any of the others had that at their disposal, which makes his performance the worst of them all.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Right. But another elective part of his time here. A good DC, with CJH, Zuniga, Reese, Grenard, etc. plus an acclimated Trask with Pitts, VanJ, Grimes, Swain, Toney and Perine/Pierce in the backfield. Even as it was, with the stupidity, they had a lead on the eventual Champs at half. If he plays his hand correctly from day 1, that’s a title team. Not sure any of the others had that at their disposal, which makes his performance the worst of them all.
Totally agree, he was way worse than zook imo.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Zook never won a fckin game for us. Occasionally the team would rise above his incompetence and secure a win. And he wasn't much of a recruiter once he left Florida.
He took Illinois to the Rose Bowl and beat Ohio State. I don't think they've sniffed a winning record since they fired him. Who knew he would end up being their best coach since they went to the Rose Bowl in 1951? :lol:

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Not surprising at all. There is nothing worse than an arrogant coach with HIS way of doing things that will never change

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He took Illinois to the Rose Bowl and beat Ohio State. I don't think they've sniffed a winning record since they fired him. Who knew he would end up being their best coach since they went to the Rose Bowl in 1951? :lol:
He beat a Saban coached LSU in death valley. The same LSU that went on to win the sec and natty.

All of them sucked, but I'd take zook before chump Mac or dorky Dan

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
He beat a Saban coached LSU in death valley. The same LSU that went on to win the sec and natty.

All of them sucked, but I'd take zook before chump Mac or dorky Dan

Bingo and beat UGA teams to keep them out of the Natty.
Dan barely beat anyone and in 2019 lost to the only two teams who finished ranked. Pointing to records is fun, pointing to strength of schedule for those records is an entirely different ball game.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That season had nothing to do with Zook. They went off a cliff after that year - yes, while Zook was still there.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Everyone else over Pierce
Franks over Trask
Emory over AR15
Emory over Matt Corral
Knox over Seider

Dan mullen was a ****ing moron. I'm so glad he was fired last year. Yes. I rooted for us to lose every game until he was fired.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That season had nothing to do with Zook. They went off a cliff after that year - yes, while Zook was still there.

Simplest way to put it is that Ron Zook simply did not have the brains of a head coach, but certainly tried his best. What makes a guy like Mullen infuriating is that he does have that, and is too lazy and content to just be well paid to actually become elite. Zook would have coached just as hard for half the money, and sort of showed that by turning down an extension after 03. Mullen would’ve given the same effort at twice the pay. Not sure which is worse, someone who tries but fails or someone who doesn’t care, but I tend to lean toward the second.

Anyway, this thread is about a great gator getting his shot. Get it back on topic or serious bans are in the near future.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Agree. They were integral, so he was integral. Unappreciative stephenpe has relegated this Gator legend to little more than a janitor at a bank. It’s insulting, but not surprising.
Actually he was above janitor, a Business Development Officer at a local Ocala Bank. This sums it up!

"No, no, no. Ron Zook is a middle manager at a small little local bank in Ocala, Florida. Yes, he’s working in some town you’ve never heard of, in a boring, mundane local branch, just like the pedestrian bank on the corner in your town. Well, he is a shareholder there too.

Does this make any sense at all? Is the Zookster just one of those people that has to keep working all the time? You know, the type of person that works just for the sake of working and keeping busy. I bet Ron Zook is great at recruiting clients to sign up for free checking! He’s just probably terrible at coaching them in how to save and earn interest!"

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Actually he was above janitor, a Business Development Officer at a local Ocala Bank. This sums it up!

"No, no, no. Ron Zook is a middle manager at a small little local bank in Ocala, Florida. Yes, he’s working in some town you’ve never heard of, in a boring, mundane local branch, just like the pedestrian bank on the corner in your town. Well, he is a shareholder there too.

Does this make any sense at all? Is the Zookster just one of those people that has to keep working all the time? You know, the type of person that works just for the sake of working and keeping busy. I bet Ron Zook is great at recruiting clients to sign up for free checking! He’s just probably terrible at coaching them in how to save and earn interest!"

You bought that story? It was fabricated for the press. Zook was spotted multiple times in the late evenings CLEANING the bank. Scrubbing toilets, vacuuming, cleaning the blinds, etc. He was the janitor. Frankly, it was a better job than I thought he could get at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator