UPDATE: QB Justin Fields Commits to The Puppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The engine that drives an offense is the qb. I don't care how many qb's he brought in if they all suck. How does bringing in 6 qb's that can't play help us? Bringing up the receiver talent is worthless without a qb. And lets not pretend hes got a bunch of studs in the oline. He filled the oline with abunch of 2 and 3 stars.

I don't care how good a qb, wr, or rb you have, without a line... you don't have anything. Meyer recruited a lot of undersized guys, Muschamp didn't recruit proper numbers, and MacButters is still no recruiting enough numbers. Even with Brady, you don't have guy that can stop the rush... it's all just garbage. Hopefully we have a better line this year, but I'm not going to bet on it until I see it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't care how good a qb, wr, or rb you have, without a line... you don't have anything. Meyer recruited a lot of undersized guys, Muschamp didn't recruit proper numbers, and MacButters is still no recruiting enough numbers. Even with Brady, you don't have guy that can stop the rush... it's all just garbage. Hopefully we have a better line this year, but I'm not going to bet on it until I see it.
I'm not saying the offensive line isn't important.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The engine that drives an offense is the qb. I don't care how many qb's he brought in if they all suck. How does bringing in 6 qb's that can't play help us? Bringing up the receiver talent is worthless without a qb. And lets not pretend hes got a bunch of studs in the oline. He filled the oline with abunch of 2 and 3 stars.

The Oline is the engine... the QB is the steering wheel... you can't go anywhere without either.

As far as the OL goes... he hasn't brought in any 2* guys and is clearly improving the numbers and talent.

In 2015 McElwain brought in 6 OLs (5 3*, 1 5*)
In 2016 three 3* OL
In 2017 three 4* OL

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Oline is the engine... the QB is the steering wheel... you can't go anywhere without either.

As far as the OL goes... he hasn't brought in any 2* guys and is clearly improving the numbers and talent.

In 2015 McElwain brought in 6 OLs (5 3*, 1 5*)
In 2016 three 3* OL
In 2017 three 4* OL

Didn't you know? We can't be competitive without a roster full of 5* linemen!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That is one of the few positions where a bunch of 3 stars end up being really good.

Some people are just going to bash McElwain as much as possible and for any reason possible. I don't mind bashing the guy for the right things, but when you just bash to bash you lose all credibility.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2634861-sec-football-power-ranking-the-offensive-lines-in-2016

First or second article on google...WORST o line in the SEC using a bunch of metrics.

Yeah, bash just to bash.

I don't believe any sane person would attempt to call our offensive line over the past couple years anything other than atrocious as a whole. We've been too thin in numbers and talent for a while now, going back to before Muschamp was fired. The thing is, many of us also saw what we believe is some positive signs of development by some of the younger guys that gave us hope this year could be better with added depth to hopefully keep those guys fresher, and less likely to sustain injuries to our starters due to fatigue. We also have a new OLine coach who is supposedly a better teacher that can bring out more physicality in those Olinemen. We're hopeful. It's better than being hopeless. At least for some of us it is...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So where did they rank in those metrics AFTER last season? Seriously asking.

Not sure about their metrics but the pro football focus ones had us last in the SEC and one of the worst in the country when it came to rushing and about in the middle when it came to pass protection even though in sacks allowed we were way down the list.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
We had offense with Will Grier. Actually if you think about it, Mac teased us and showed us what it could look like if we had a stud QB. That 2015 Ole Miss game was a thing of beauty. Sigh, then we go to Treon...double sigh, then to LDR....triple sigh, then Applebottom. What a tease that was. Sheesh.
The offense didn't even look good then with Grier, Miz, UK, Most of UT, ECU, ETC. Mac is just another dud eating off Saban.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sacks allowed 2015 was 45
Sacks allowed 2016 was 28

Tackles for loss allowed 2015 was 98
Tackles for loss allowed 2016 was 70

These are areas you attribute directly to the o-line....no? And that was with Summers still there.

As far as the running game, it looks like we ran less. Yards per rush actually ticked up a notch from 2015, but overall both years were terrible in rankings. (Sign of opposing teams selling out against the run because they knew we couldn't throw???)

Passing game wasn't great maxing out at 215 yards per game last year.
But both years under Mac have been better, by far, than any year under Chump.

3rd down conv was 36.41% in 2015
3rd down conv was 41.67% in 2016 (2009 was the last year we did better)

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I don't believe any sane person would attempt to call our offensive line over the past couple years anything other than atrocious as a whole. We've been too thin in numbers and talent for a while now, going back to before Muschamp was fired. The thing is, many of us also saw what we believe is some positive signs of development by some of the younger guys that gave us hope this year could be better with added depth to hopefully keep those guys fresher, and less likely to sustain injuries to our starters due to fatigue. We also have a new OLine coach who is supposedly a better teacher that can bring out more physicality in those Olinemen. We're hopeful. It's better than being hopeless. At least for some of us it is...
The OL is excuse is old. Plenty of young OLs have done just fine with the same lack of experience. They had talent and coaching. Two things Mac directly controls.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The OL is excuse is old. Plenty of young OLs have done just fine with the same lack of experience. They had talent and coaching. Two things Mac directly controls.

Apparently Coach Mac felt like they weren't getting the coaching they needed. He made a change. Most of us are expecting it to show this year because the experience is there now. Pretty much everything I've read and watched agree. The Oline must come together this year for this offense to have a chance to be successful. Most of the pieces are in place. Hopefully the coaching change will bring forth good fruit.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Sacks allowed 2015 was 45
Sacks allowed 2016 was 28

Tackles for loss allowed 2015 was 98
Tackles for loss allowed 2016 was 70

These are areas you attribute directly to the o-line....no? And that was with Summers still there.

As far as the running game, it looks like we ran less. Yards per rush actually ticked up a notch from 2015, but overall both years were terrible in rankings. (Sign of opposing teams selling out against the run because they knew we couldn't throw???)

Passing game wasn't great maxing out at 215 yards per game last year.
But both years under Mac have been better, by far, than any year under Chump.

3rd down conv was 36.41% in 2015
3rd down conv was 41.67% in 2016 (2009 was the last year we did better)
Mac played easier schedules:
SOS:

16: #25
15: #19

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2015/team/

We had the least rushing yards in over a decade playing the easiest schedules in over a decade.

Averaging 30 yards more passing yards with an offensive HC coach is pathetic, IDC how you spin it. It's nothing to brag about. It just shows they both suck as HCs. Also Mac finished behind a younger SCAR team with idiot WM as HC. That's bad. Real bad.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Apparently Coach Mac felt like they weren't getting the coaching they needed. He made a change. Most of us are expecting it to show this year because the experience is there now. Pretty much everything I've read and watched agree. The Oline must come together this year for this offense to have a chance to be successful. Most of the pieces are in place. Hopefully the coaching change will bring forth good fruit.
If the spring game is any indication were in serious trouble given the Dollar Tree budget. This OL also lacks talent. Outside of Ivey and Taylor there's a whole lot of meh.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac played easier schedules:
SOS:

16: #25
15: #19

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2015/team/

We had the least rushing yards in over a decade playing the easiest schedules in over a decade.

Averaging 30 yards more passing yards with an offensive HC coach is pathetic, IDC how you spin it. It's nothing to brag about. It just shows they both suck as HCs. Also Mac finished behind a younger SCAR team with idiot WM as HC. That's bad. Real bad.
we were talking about the o line no?

the rest :blahblah:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.