UPDATE: QB Malik Zaire officially a Gator

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
No, that isn't the concern. He didn't inherit shyt, no doubt. We shouldn't have been absolutely SKULLFVKKED 7 times. We shouldn't still be waiting on his first offensive TD vs Clowtown, and our offense should be WORSE than Chimp's. But, no, we didn't have the talent to beat Clowntown or Trailerebammer.

The biggest problem is we won't have the talent to compete with them until we land three top classes. 4th or 5th in the SEC isn't a top class.

Now your'e talking recruiting. 2015 was transition. 2016 and 2017 were not up to par. 2018 just got a lot better with Fields decomitting. And 2019 looks to be even better. Of course it will take a year or two for those classes to make the lineup.

On a personal note I guessed that it would take 5 years to recover from Chump.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
On a personal note I guessed that it would take 5 years to recover from Chump.
I was blowing the whistle about the disaster that was developing with regards to our OL recruiting THAT STARTED WITH CUM and Daz.

If we get some recruiting momentum, things could really be looking up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Now your'e talking recruiting. 2015 was transition. 2016 and 2017 were not up to par.
2015 was actually a decent job given what he inherited and the fact that our AD allowed our current staff to actually recruit AGAINST us while they remained on the payroll and some still on the job.

2016 was stupid. As bad as and of the Duncechump classes, especially at DT and inside LB.

We will see.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I was blowing the whistle about the disaster that was developing with regards to our OL recruiting THAT STARTED WITH CUM and Daz.

If we get some recruiting momentum, things could really be looking up.

And now you're blowing the whistle on DT's. Let's hope you're not right again.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And now you're blowing the whistle on DT's. Let's hope you're not right again.
This isn't rocket surgery. It really isn't.

I don't understand how we pay millions, I think Hughes is one of the highest paid, yet we have people making obvious mistakes that are readily apparent to even an untrained casual observer.

BTW we are still critically thin at DT and inside backers but it isnt like the OL situation. But we do however need to land 3 year next two years to catch up. Its not really hard. You get 25 ish players, grab 11 and 11 and it gives you three-ish to fix problems.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I may be wrong about this, but I think Ingle Martin is actually a poster on here. I think he has posted a couple times.
I can confirm that he has. I'm his favorite poster. He likes to reminisce of his days with Gavin Dickey.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ray Graves matters. He was close a number of times, and he got Spurrier here. Take Zook down to 10)

I haven't read through this God awful long thread. Did Zaire register?

Many will tell you Charlie Pell matters too as he got the facilities up to SEC standards. I am less sure about that and I certainly agree with you that Graves matters alot.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know what the last decade has to do with anything other than from a historical perspective. The last two years are the only thing that's relevant to a kid signing today so the question would be have we shown that blue-chip QBs can flourish here in the last two years?

last decade matters because it's more than one coach, it's organizational.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
With that line of thinking why should we recruit at all? Hopefully all the high school recruits on campus do not make the the actual players on the team quit.

I think all kids, even the prima donnas, realize the best players and hardest working make the line up. That is basic competition at its finest.

So your the hardest working, but you get replaced by a shiny new transfer? We have to show offensive production, with lesser talent to start to show to tier talent we have life. Meyer ended with two seasons of lack luster offense, Muschamp had 4 lackluster offensives over 3 OC's, and so far we have had two years of offenses still in the 100s. We might get lucky and get another Tebow (Gator for life) or Bell (diamond in the very rough). But this isn't recruiting even a decade ago, it's a business decision. Which program you choose is a business decision, to get to the next level.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Many will tell you Charlie Pell matters too as he got the facilities up to SEC standards. I am less sure about that and I certainly agree with you that Graves matters alot.

Pell changed the way the Athletic Association raised money, especially for football. He got that ball rolling.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
last decade matters because it's more than one coach, it's organizational.
I kinda agree but I don't think the AD matters too much to QB development. Having said that I will say this. I think Foley made huge mistakes hiring defensive coordinators as HC. From an organizational standpoint Spurrier had given Florida the brand of Fun & Gun offense oriented football. I think it's important to keep that theme rolling or, as you've seen, the program whipsaws from one style to the other. Keep the ship going in the same direction. Obviously it's now an image thing in that even though we've produced three Heisman winning QBs we've been woeful since Tebow left. Chump's damage to the program will be felt for years but here's to hoping it ends soon.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I kinda agree but I don't think the AD matters too much to QB development. Having said that I will say this. I think Foley made huge mistakes hiring defensive coordinators as HC. From an organizational standpoint Spurrier had given Florida the brand of Fun & Gun offense oriented football. I think it's important to keep that theme rolling or, as you've seen, the program whipsaws from one style to the other. Keep the ship going in the same direction. Obviously it's now an image thing in that even though we've produced three Heisman winning QBs we've been woeful since Tebow left. Chump's damage to the program will be felt for years but here's to hoping it ends soon.

I think we are saying the same thing in this post. I just look at it, I was a life time Gator, Grandfather and Dad went there. But if I wasn't, and I didn't have a school that I was attached emotionally to, it's a business decision. Due to mistakes by the AD, and the hires that came down can I trust Florida at this time with my business decision at Quarterback. At DB, defensive line, and running back its a good business decision. Until we get a coach like Spurrier who brings the brand back (which I hope McElwain or his replacement can), why would I choose UF?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So your the hardest working, but you get replaced by a shiny new transfer?
No one GAF how hard you worked. Produce or lose. If you run out there against walkon defense and spend half the day punting you have no reason to expect they wont move on to the next option.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No one GAF how hard you worked. Produce or lose. If you run out there against walkon defense and spend half the day punting you have no reason to expect they wont move on to the next option.

See the post I was responding to... might make more sense.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I was in the car today and turned the radio to Pat Dooley's show. I was glad I did, because he had Eric Hanson of the South Bend Tribune on the show to talk about Malik Zaire.

First, let me share how utterly painful it is to listen to Pat Dooley on the radio. I listened to his show for a total of about 10 minutes. I would have turned almost immediately if not for Hanson coming on the show. Dooley, in typical form, complained about his toilet being clogged at his house, his new dog not being house broken and the palm tree in his yard dying. The man literally never stops talking about himself and complaining.

Anyway, Hanson covers Notre Dame sports for the South Bend Tribune and had some interesting things to say about Zaire. He said that Zaire has a world of talent, not only with his legs, but also with his arm. According to Hanson Zaire has the tools for the deep game, but is better suited for mid range passes. He stated the obvious when he said that Zaire has had problems with consistency. One game he's a world beater and the next he is mediocre.

Hanson also said that Zaire is extremely confident in himself and his abilities. It was claimed that this heightened level of confidence makes him a natural leader and helps him perform on the big stage. It was said that Zaire is a great teammate as long as he is starting. However, Hanson claimed that when Zaire wasn't the starter he "pouted" and may have been a distraction in the locker room. It was not expressly stated, but it sounded as though Hanson felt that Zaire's attitude may have affected the coach's decision to start someone else.

It was also pointed out that graduate transfers often realize that this is the last stop and they are frequently able to correct flaws when they realize it is the last chance.

If true, I hope Mac can keep the personalities from clashing in the locker room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator