Urban Meyer "absolutely" would take Dallas Cowboys job

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Even if he went to the NFL what would be his max time? Four years? Five years?
And only wins two Super Bowls?

Who gives a crap about his longevity in the pros? There isn't any recruiting involved, which is why it's much more critical in college not to be a short-term guy. With free agency, a new coach can work his magic immediately.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Meyer has never been a failure anywhere he went in college. I think one bad season in the NFL would destroy his ego beyond repair, which is why he’d never dare go to the NFL.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer has never been a failure anywhere he went in college. I think one bad season in the NFL would destroy his ego beyond repair, which is why he’d never dare go to the NFL.
There's never been a great coach that didn't have a huge ego. Not one, ever. His ego is exactly WHY he'd take an NFL job, to show everyone he could do it.

Let go of your hate. His ego is what filled our trophy case.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yet Jason Garrett has them underachieving year after year after year after year and is still there.
Scrutiny isn't limited to coaching firings. It's a day to day, week to week, gnawing away at every aspect of your decision-making by the local and national media. The kind of stuff that drives Meyer to distraction.

Columbus ain't no Dallas. A Meyer hiring would be compared to Johnson and Switzer and need to produce big results immediately.

Can you see Urban Meyer and the Dallas media living harmoniously and happy in that realm year after year? I can't.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Columbus ain't no Dallas. A Meyer hiring would be compared to Johnson and Switzer and need to produce big results immediately.
And when has he ever failed to do that?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And when has he ever failed to do that?
Different ballgame. He'll only have input on draft-day decisions. He'd have to strike it now with Dak and Zeke in their prime. The Cowboys have other issues.

Yes, he is the ultimate game changer -- in the college game. Would it translate in the NFL? I agree with the Dude. My money's on Lincoln Riley. He's a twofer package.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
You honestly think the NFL has 10x the scrutiny than major college football? :crazy:

In major college football, one loss and it's over. You can lose six games in the NFL and still make the playoffs.

NFL is MUCH easier. And no recruiting. Freaking Jason Garrett has been sucking in Dallas for a damn DECADE and still has his job!
As a Cowboy fan, I can certainly attest to the fact that Garrett is proof positive that the NFL might be much easier than coaching a power 5 team that is expected to win the conf championship every year.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Now that Urban is officially "cured" of his pressure-related critical health issues, he'll pop up again as HC of another famous school - soon. I think it would be fun to see him replace Harbaugh at Meetchicken and go up against his beloved OSU every year.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Urban is different than most college coaches, he has always had the respect of his players and I think it would be the same in the NFL despite their large egos.
His problem would be, a large part of his success is identifying coaching talent and I'm not sure you can have an advantage in that area in the NFL.

GatormanTX

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2015
I wish he would just go into obscurity. Cannot stand him. The last thing I need is him in the close proximity.

I am going to the Eagles game today on free tickets because I would never pay money to the NFL. Garrett is ridiculous but I would be fine with him staying if it meant Urb’s wasn’t around. Did I mention I hate that ****er?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think Urbs is a college coach but I also think he’d not turn down an offer to coach one of the premier NFL teams. Doubt he’d be successful at it.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Urban Meyer “absolutely” would take Cowboys job

This is interesting, because that job is soon going to open up. Meyer in the NFL would be quite an experiment.

Discuss.

Though he's totally got the obsessive temperament for it, he would likely be killed by the NFL, literally, because I don't believe his heath issues are fictional. I therefore think he'd have a major medical issue within a couple of years as the pressure built to a breaking point.

Number one, Jerry Jones would be 1000 times worse than all the boosters from all the college teams he's coached for combined. Number 2, there are really no off weeks over a 17 week season in the NFL even with the bye. Finally, the criticisms and pressures of any NFL team are bad, but those with "America's Team" are off the chart and his 'condition' is more aggravated by negative criticism than most anything else.

Whether the Cowboys, USC or the local high school, Urban needs to stay away from the crack of coaching. I'm not sure he can, though, because he's a crack head and I don't think it will end well when he picks up another pipe.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I wish he would just go into obscurity. Cannot stand him. The last thing I need is him in the close proximity.

I am going to the Eagles game today on free tickets because I would never pay money to the NFL. Garrett is ridiculous but I would be fine with him staying if it meant Urb’s wasn’t around. Did I mention I hate that ****er?

Go Birds.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

Why exactly do you hate him? I’d be willing to bet you cheered for him when he was a Gator.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
There's never been a great coach that didn't have a huge ego. Not one, ever. His ego is exactly WHY he'd take an NFL job, to show everyone he could do it.

Let go of your hate. His ego is what filled our trophy case.

Never said I hated the man or didn’t enjoy the championships he won here. You got me confused with others. Back to the point I was making, Meyer never had a terrible year in college, but he could very well have a 4 win year in his first year as a NFL coach, especially if he can’t get the professionals to buy in. It’s all a moot point, he’s just putting his name out there now to let people know he gonna coach again. He’ll be at USC west next year, building it back into a monster pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb