Urban Meyer calls UF 2008 team best to ever play the game

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n3112 said:
The 1995 Cornhuskers set all-time records for the number of rapes, girlfriend beatings, armed assaults, random beatings, and attempted murders. Those records are considered by many CFB historians as "unbreakable." Tom Osborne cemented himself as the scummiest coach of all time that year. Those things alone are quite an accomplishment. Our 2008 team with all their potheads pales in comparison.

A great read if you have the time. I read this again several years back. A must read to really understand the depravity of that organization.

0925_thumb.jpg
[h=1]Coach And Jury[/h] [h=2]Nebraska players charged with crimes have a steadfast ally in the man who runs the program, Tom Osborne[/h]
On Monday, Osborne said, "It's not as though Lawrence is an angry young man all the time and a threat to society. But there are occasions every four to five months where he becomes a little explosive." Osborne added that Phillips might return in a month—in time for the Oct. 28 game at Colorado, the most daunting on the Husker schedule—if "medical people say some significant changes have taken place."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007153/index.htm

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
playzwtrux;n3469 said:
The 09 team would have been in the conversation had the 08 OC not left and the 09 OC not been such a poor play caller.

Percy Harvin sticking around for his senior season would have helped, too.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n3616 said:
Percy Harvin sticking around for his senior season would have helped, too.

But then he got high.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
PastyStoole;n3112 said:
The 1995 Cornhuskers set all-time records for the number of rapes, girlfriend beatings, armed assaults, random beatings, and attempted murders. Those records are considered by many CFB historians as "unbreakable." Tom Osborne cemented himself as the scummiest coach of all time that year. Those things alone are quite an accomplishment. Our 2008 team with all their potheads pales in comparison.

A great read if you have the time. I read this again several years back. A must read to really understand the depravity of that organization.

0925_thumb.jpg
[h=1]Coach And Jury[/h] [h=2]Nebraska players charged with crimes have a steadfast ally in the man who runs the program, Tom Osborne[/h]
On Monday, Osborne said, "It's not as though Lawrence is an angry young man all the time and a threat to society. But there are occasions every four to five months where he becomes a little explosive." Osborne added that Phillips might return in a month—in time for the Oct. 28 game at Colorado, the most daunting on the Husker schedule—if "medical people say some significant changes have taken place."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007153/index.htm
Thanks J. I've read this article before and I have to say it is one of the most incredible things I've ever heard. It really is unprecedented.

""I don't tell Tom Osborne how to run the football department," Lancaster County Attorney Gary Lacey says, "and he should stay out of the criminal justice system. He hasn't done that at all." According to Lacey, Osborne has taken it upon himself to interview witnesses in criminal cases, offered very public opinions on the probable innocence of players who have yet to stand trial and attacked the credibility of witnesses testifying against his players. In January 1994 he and an assistant even locked away a gun that had allegedly been used by one of his players in the commission of a felony. "That's Osborne using his influence to disrupt the criminal justice system," Lacey says."

Among many other things on that team, including attempted murders, was Phillips' who dragged his ex girlfriend down several flights of stairs and ran her face across several rows of mailboxes. Osborne tampered with this witness on this case too, and was quoted by the press as saying "I wouldn't call it a beating. But [Phillips] certainly did inflict some damage to a young lady."

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This ended up evolving into a discussion about who the slimiest coaches were in CFB history. Osborne was a very special kind of sleazebag. I'm not sure we'll ever see the likes of him again.

In any case, I agree with Meyer. That '08 team may have been the best to ever play the game.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
08? Seriously? Option, Hernandez, Mullins, scatbacks, Esophageal Spasm King.....who would of course call one of his teams best ever. Yeesh!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
08? Seriously? Option, Hernandez, Mullins, scatbacks, Esophageal Spasm King.....who would of course call one of his teams best ever. Yeesh!
It's that outrageous to you that the 08 team may be one of the best ever? I have no idea where you're coming from as a Gator fan. You're putting down that team?

In my opinion it's certainly the greatest Gator team that ever was.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I hold the '08 football team in the same regard as the '06-'07 basketball team. It's really hard to crown any team in any sport as the "best ever," but if you had to put either of those teams up against the other "best ever" teams in their respective sport, I'd like their chances to win a majority of the time.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
It's that outrageous to you that the 08 team may be one of the best ever? I have no idea where you're coming from as a Gator fan. You're putting down that team?

In my opinion it's certainly the greatest Gator team that ever was.

Turn your sarcasm meter on again please. My post was a tribute(?)/recap of the crap we've heard on here over the years.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
No one we ever put on the field would have beat the 95 Nebraska team Crap they were the oldest team by far they could have beat half of the NFL

This **** hurt but just watch it tell me I am wrong

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
No one we ever put on the field would have beat the 95 Nebraska team Crap they were the oldest team by far they could have beat half of the NFL

This **** hurt but just watch it tell me I am wrong

No college team is going to beat an NFL team, especially one that runs the triple option. That roster was loaded, no doubt, but it had what, a dozen NFL players at most? An NFL roster has 54 NFL players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.