Status
Not open for further replies.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
John “Lawnchair” Brantley :lmao2: Made me laugh out loud.

But I thought it was The Turtling Brantley?

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
In hindsight, one must wonder why Urbs didn’t Taylor the offense to Brantley’s talents.

Much like Dan has done with Trask.

Brantley wasn’t fast, wasn’t quick but, he was a prolific passer, in high school anyway. He had the arm, but never seemed to be “comfortable” in a Gator uniform or even in his own skin.
Enigma.

I feel sorry for the Brantley family.
John in particular after the entire fan base turned on him in a big and very ugly way.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
In hindsight, one must wonder why Urbs didn’t Taylor the offense to Brantley’s talents.

Much like Dan has done with Trask.

Brantley wasn’t fast, wasn’t quick but, he was a prolific passer, in high school anyway. He had the arm, but never seemed to be “comfortable” in a Gator uniform or even in his own skin.
Enigma.

I feel sorry for the Brantley family.
John in particular after the entire fan base turned on him in a big and very ugly way.

Because Mullen left and all Meyer had was the aDdAzZiOoOoOoOo

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Very true.
The “Dazzler”

That’s on Urban.How the hell could he ever have thought Addazio was a competent O coordinator for his offense,
Good lord.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Brantley never decommits from Texas and is sort of forced on Meyer(even by Bell himself), then Newton finishes his career as a Gator. No doubt in my mind. Yes, he had issues from academics to the laptop. But we weren’t going to be completely without a QB.

Not sure if he ever becomes exactly what he’s become if he’d stated. But I think it would’ve also had an impact on Meyer staying a little longer, which may have stemmed the rise of Alabama to a degree.

Given the less than positive relationship between athletics and the student conduct review board (or whatever the he!! they call themselves) I doubt that Cam would have survived the academic fraud charges and stayed in school at UF

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Exactly!!

At the end of the day Urban didn’t develop quarterbacks and he didn’t develop offensive gameplans.

Urban was never a QB coach nor was he ever a coordinator so he was not able to adapt to anything on his own

CEO skills only

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I watch Texas every week if there’s not a conflict with Us.
My Son In Law is as big a Texas fan as I am Florida.
Good thing for us is , #1 It would be rare to ever play them and #2 My daughter and I have him convinced the Gators will eventually take down Bama and the SEC is the best conference in the country.
He wears Gator gear from time to time too.

To say they play okay defense though, ugggghhh.
No.
I think they’re on Herman’s 2nd or maybe 3rd D coordinator.
They have Ash now but damn, he’s the 2nd coming of Grantham.

Ehrlinger is a fantastic dual threat QB.
They have adequate receivers and a really great looking Freshman RB.

In my opinion, if their defense was just a little better, they would have lost only 1 game so far and would be in the top 10.

I watch Texas most weekends too--I'm from Houston originally and all 9 of my dad's brothers and sisters graduated UT (along with half my cousins).

The defense under Herman hasn't been very good; but they were regularly the best in the Big 12 under Charlie Strong; and their defensive issues under Herman isn't really a lack of talent IMO--they have some guys now that I'd love to have in a Gator uniform, for instance (Caden Sterns and Ossai come to mind).

Really think Herman has under-achieved given what he started with and the talent he brought in. Ehlinger is an excellent dual-threat QB and they've recruited well at the skill positions. Their WRs last year were better IMO (Duvernay and Johnson are both in the NFL and starting to produce for the Ravens and Jaguars, respectively) and their RB this year is a beast. They took LSU to the brink last year; and this year, their inability to put away teams has cost them (lost games they should have won vs TCU and Iowa State). Meyer won't have them winning titles in year one, but he'll have them winning games they should win.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He'd have them NC contenders quickly. Then burn out again after only a few years.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Yeah. They would become relevant real quick. Anyone questioning Urban's ability to establish a solid program quickly should be ignored. Especially at Texas. Recruits would flock. But could he last more than 4-5 years?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. They would become relevant real quick. Anyone questioning Urban's ability to establish a solid program quickly should be ignored. Especially at Texas. Recruits would flock. But could he last more than 4-5 years?
Probably not, but it would be worth it for those 5 years, I guarantee you.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Probably not, but it would be worth it for those 5 years, I guarantee you.

Totally worth it. If you had a good AD with that understanding it could easily be handled like OSU did it and not how we did. But then again, we was the first place he did it so it was a bit of a surprise how he faded so quick. Foley made it worse.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I remember during the closed fall practices all those in the "know" kept repeating "He [Brantley] can make all the throws". Article after article. "He can make all the throws".

I remember thinking "thats code for something".

Turns out it was a truncated statement: " He can make all the throws as long as nobody is rushing him". He was like Don Knotts in a football uniform.

Meyer would do well in Texas.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Does Texas have any QBs named Burrow that Creyer could make 3rd string bc he cant run the option?

That guy sure has an eye for talent.
:lol: . Are telling me urban doesn't have eye for talent? And are you telling me he ran burrow off because he couldn’t run the option even though dwayne haskins threw for 5k yards that year?

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Exactly!!

At the end of the day Urban didn’t develop quarterbacks and he didn’t develop offensive gameplans.

Urban was never a QB coach nor was he ever a coordinator so he was not able to adapt to anything on his own

CEO skills only
and recruiting

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: . Are telling me urban doesn't have eye for talent? And are you telling me he ran burrow off because he couldn’t run the option even though dwayne haskins threw for 5k yards that year?
What's he's telling you is that his hate is so strong for Meyer he'll make up anything he can.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Just Texas hype. Urban’s not going there. This is equivalent to UT thinking they were getting Gruden every time they fired a coach. It’s laughable to to even contemplate.
Well, Meyer DID actually agree to meet with them. This isn't just a fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.