The Urban Meyer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
So you're saying that Urban Meyer did not meet with the Texas people? I just want you to be clear so you can look even more foolish later.
I’m sure they reached out to his representation to gauge interest. And they’ll spin that as they’ve met with him. Watch how quick those rumors die down. We recently went thru a coaching search. You should understand this. Remember when we were flying to pick up Chip Kelly? A lot of BS gets thrown around during searches. But we’re to believe that a historically crap football program will hire one of the all time great coaches during the middle of the season while the current coach is still employed? But yeah, I’m sure I’ll look real silly.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
Zero chance Urban going to Texas. Also, unfortunately for some of you, zero chance Mullen going to Texas.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Remember when we were flying to pick up Chip Kelly?
We DID fly to pick up Kelly. That actually happened. Quit while you're behind.

By the way, did you really say that Texas is a "historically crap football program"? Really?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Zero chance Urban going to Texas. Also, unfortunately for some of you, zero chance Mullen going to Texas.
Thank God we have people like you to come along and just tell us like it is. :rolleyes3:

If Meyer goes to Texas, you get a two-year ban. If Meyer doesn't go to Texas, you'll only get a six-month ban.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
We DID fly to pick up Kelly. That actually happened. Quit while you're behind.

By the way, did you really say that Texas is a "historically crap football program"? Really?
That didn’t happen. If we went to pick him up, why didn’t he come back? Do you think we flew a team all the way to New England thinking we had our next coach, only to not come back with him? That doesn’t make any sense.

And yes, they are a crap program. Come on, not you too. They won once with Vince Young and before that or after that, when has Texas actually been relevant? They have a huge fan base so they are a huge national brand. But all I know them for is getting owned by OU or Nebraska. Maybe “crap” is hyperbole, but their not a tier 1 program.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We flew — Stricklin, Fuchs, Albert the Alligator et al — to try and seal the deal. Half the way there, the UCLA firing announcement was released. In retrospect, we should have done a 180 in the air right then and there.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe “crap” is hyperbole, but their not a tier 1 program.
They have four national championships and two Heisman winners. They are the flagship university of an extremely talent-rich state. They are packed full of wealthy alumni who are willing to pay what it takes to win. They have a lunatic fan base and top facilities. They are absolutely a tier-1 program and an extremely attractive job.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
And yes, they are a crap program. Come on, not you too. They won once with Vince Young and before that or after that, when has Texas actually been relevant? They have a huge fan base so they are a huge national brand. But all I know them for is getting owned by OU or Nebraska. Maybe “crap” is hyperbole, but their not a tier 1 program.

You need to stop drinking. Texas has 4 national championships (and were nominated for 5 other unclaimed ones), 32 conference titles, are tied for the 2nd most bowl appearances of all time (trailing only Bama), and are in the top 3 for most wins of all time by a college program.

From 04-09, they won one national championship and played in another--getting kinda screwed over by the Big 12 in 08 (when OK made it over them to the natl championship, even though Texas beat OU) and were ranked in the top 5 at the end of the year four times.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Freeze to Texas. Just a hunch. After Urbs jilted them, they are desperate.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
They have four national championships and two Heisman winners. They are the flagship university of an extremely talent-rich state. They are packed full of wealthy alumni who are willing to pay what it takes to win. They have a lunatic fan base and top facilities. They are absolutely a tier-1 program and an extremely attractive job.
I was referring to somewhat recent history. I’m 35 years old. In my lifetime they’ve been pretty underwhelming.

But I’m not trying to debate how good Texas has or hasn’t been. Fact still stands that Urban was never gonna take that job. Now their administration is making it seem like Urban declined after considering the job. I don’t believe he ever considered it. Of course I’m sure he heard what the their offer was, but I doubt he gave serious consideration.

But like you said, I’m sure I’ll look foolish in the end when he accepts the job lol...

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Just Texas hype. Urban’s not going there. This is equivalent to UT thinking they were getting Gruden every time they fired a coach. It’s laughable to to even contemplate. That’s Lincoln Riley’s conference. Urban knows how this works. And honestly I think he missed his opportunity at a Saban-like legacy. And I think he knows it. The SEC is forged by fire. We know that the best team in the SEC is a great team. You’re never quite sure about other conferences.
He’s gotten sentimental about UF of late. And I think he realizes the opportunity he missed. We were on a trajectory to become “Alabama.” Could you imagine 20 years of a committed Urban?

I got respect for the mans football acumen but committed? He just can't stay in one place too long for some reason. If I had a kidney stone, I'd want it to be just like Urban Meyer.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I'm glad Amazon has such a great return policy - all that Texas gear is on its way back.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I was referring to somewhat recent history. I’m 35 years old. In my lifetime they’ve been pretty underwhelming.

But I’m not trying to debate how good Texas has or hasn’t been. Fact still stands that Urban was never gonna take that job. Now their administration is making it seem like Urban declined after considering the job. I don’t believe he ever considered it. Of course I’m sure he heard what the their offer was, but I doubt he gave serious consideration.
Meyer seriously considered the job. Him and his wife talked about it for a long time.

Now, you can agree with that sentiment (silently or otherwise) or you can risk coming back when MT does.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Urban & Strickland out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Mullen to TX and Urban back to Florida. Book it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.