Urban Meyer's infamous "broken" quote

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Imagining Cam Newton taking snaps in 2010 remains one of the biggest what-ifs in my Gator closet. The obvious holdback would have been Addazio, whose vanilla playcalling couldn't have begun to tap Newton's potential..
All the rumors out of camp from foru. people and from the reporters was that Newton couldn't throw at all. Whatever he learned he learned it community college or some quarterback clinic after he left. Do you really think Daz was going to fix that?

Who was our quarterback coach then after Mullins left? I don't even recall.

edit: Scot Loeffler, the man who made Tom Brady look like a 6th round draft pick and got Gene Chizik fired.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All the rumors out of camp from foru. people and from the reporters was that Newton couldn't throw at all. Whatever he learned he learned it community college or some quarterback clinic after he left. Do you really think Daz was going to fix that?

edit: Scot Loeffler, the man who made Tom Brady look terrible, and got Gene Chizik fired.
Of course it's a bad fit. It's John Brantley taking the snaps instead of Cam Newton. You're thinking in a vacuum. Meyer would have had to at least considered rearranging the table in advance of Newton taking the reigns. And I think he would have.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Read post #2 by donkers in this thread, including what was quoted. That’s what my reply referred to.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Re-read your post (the one I replied to) and the OP. The OP stated don’t blame Meyer it wasn’t his fault and also mentioned board revisionist history, as if the board blamed Meyer. You then re-stared that position and agreed it wasn’t Meyer’s fault. I then stated nobody I know of blamed Meyer...instead we blamed Foley. And you facepalm my reply, which happens to be correct. :scratchhead:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

edit: Scot Loeffler, the man who made Tom Brady look like a 6th round draft pick and got Gene Chizik fired.
012716-14-NFL-Tebow-Newton-OB-PI.vadapt.767.high.33.jpg

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Re-read your post (the one I replied to) and the OP. The OP stated don’t blame Meyer it wasn’t his fault and also mentioned board revisionist history, as if the board blamed Meyer. You then re-stared that position and agreed it wasn’t Meyer’s fault. I then stated nobody I know of blamed Meyer...instead we blamed Foley. And you facepalm my reply, which happens to be correct. :scratchhead:
Sigh... I was replying to donkey, who misinterpreted the OPs post. Again, play attention and read post #2, the one I replied to.

Edit: also read #5, where it was clearly stated that I was just clarifying donkers post. The facepalms were for not reading or skimming past what was replied to.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Sigh... I was replying to donkey, who misinterpreted the OPs post. Again, play attention and read post #2, the one I replied to.

Edit: also read #5, where it was clearly stated that I was just clarifying donkers post. The facepalms were for not reading or skimming past what was replied to.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:...I understand you were replying to Donk...and your reply to him stated you agreed with the OP and his statements. Therefore, my rebuttal of your post was a rebuttal of the OP and I was pointing out that nobody I’m aware of ever blamed Meyer for the bad hires. The OP, and apparently you, weren’t aware of that. I know it’s difficult but try to keep up.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:...I understand you were replying to Donk...and your reply to him stated you agreed with the OP and his statements. Therefore, my rebuttal of your post was a rebuttal of the OP and I was pointing out that nobody I’m aware of ever blamed Meyer for the bad hires. The OP, and apparently you, weren’t aware of that. I know it’s difficult but try to keep up.
I’m caught up just fine. Donk and I, the two this pertained to, were on the same page by the 5th post of this thread. You and I are just spinning in circles... well after it was resolved. I’ll bow out as this ain’t going anywhere.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Clarification: OP here. I should have said: Don't muddle the state of the program when of Meyer left with the consequences of Foley hiring 2 dumbasses in a row. Our pain from 2010 to 2017 is on Foley, NOT because Meyer "broke" the program.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Quite a few decent college football players in that pic.
Everyone in that pic was on the O. The D had a few good ones too. Lets hope we get back to that level where a random pic features future NFLers, Pro Bowlers and Heisman winners!

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017

I remember watching Cash at his last O&B game. He badly overthrew his targets almost every time. After watching that I had no issue with wanting to put him at TE. He literally was all over the place. That year at Blinn was incredible for him...

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I remember watching Cash at his last O&B game. He badly overthrew his targets almost every time. After watching that I had no issue with wanting to put him at TE. He literally was all over the place. That year at Blinn was incredible for him...
I went to that game. Newton looked like he had no feel or control on his passes. It seems like I remember him over throwing And putting a few way short. In the dirt.
I remember thinking .. this guy is going to challenge Tebow??? Lol. He must have had a heck of an epiphany at Blinn.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I went to that. Newton looked like he had no feel or control on his passes. It seems like I remember him over throwing And putting a few way short. In the dirt.
I remember thinking .. this guy is going to challenge Tebow??? Lol. He must have had a heck of an epiphany at Blinn.
Yeah, we all saw him throw ball after ball into the stands during that game. Him ever winning a Heisman and being a #1 draft pick certainly seemed laughable at that point.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Was a schitty hire from the beginning. Wait to fix Tebow's throwing motion in his senior year, hire a qb coach coach whose last job being the qb coach for the 0-16 Detroit Lions. His quarterbacks were so bad on one play quarterback had no awareness of where he was, and stepped out of the back of the endzone when no rusher was within 5 yards of him.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Fooley's devastation goes so much deeper than shytty hiring.

Absolutely agree. A few months back I posted a laundry list of Foley's fails and surmised that as good as he was at promoting the minor sports, what he had done to the FB program made him possibly the worst CFB AD of all time. Well, predictably, some refugee/intruder from GC rebutted my post by giving JF credit for all the NCs and even tried to make a case that the terrible hires weren't really that bad. And even if they were, how was JF to know how things would turn out? I shudder to think how much damage that one individual did with his meddling, penny pinching and colossal arrogance - and how deep a hole we are still in because of him and his wrong headed approach to everything related to FB. You had to go and get me started.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
What's funny is the board has slowly started to turn pro-Meyer, after years of jilted-lover hate. We still have a few holdovers, but 3 years ago the board was 90% anti-Meyer. Now it's more like 25%.

Maybe that chomp that Meyer did as he was leaving the field for OSU swayed a few people back to him.

What does 'pro-Meyer' mean? It is what it is ... he did a incredible job then it crumbled in front of him and he left instead of sticking around to make it work. UF wasn't his dream job and he got what he wanted out of it and left. He aint our guy and he wont be hanging our our campus like Spurrier or other Gator greats.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I’m caught up just fine. Donk and I, the two this pertained to, were on the same page by the 5th post of this thread. You and I are just spinning in circles... well after it was resolved. I’ll bow out as this ain’t going anywhere.

Seabee, I’ve always liked you so I’ll chalk this issue up to it being late last night and you were probably drunk...so it’s all good, you’re forgiven. :lol:

:highfive:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Clarification: OP here. I should have said: Don't muddle the state of the program when of Meyer left with the consequences of Foley hiring 2 dumbasses in a row. Our pain from 2010 to 2017 is on Foley, NOT because Meyer "broke" the program.

Okay, thanks for the clarification as that is a different issue altogether. Meyer contributed to the broken program by doing a number of things wrong and then he bailed out. The guys Foley hired took broken pieces and smashed them into a million tiny pieces by being inept in one area or another (or all areas in the case of Sharkfcvker).

Foley, for his part, didn’t reinvest in the program going back to the pre-Meyer days through the hiring of Stricklin (I.e.-didn’t upgrade facilities, paid below market wages for assistants, etc.). He made several stupid hires, he gave giving contract extensions to HCs who didn’t deserve it, he structured contracts in such a poor manner that we got hosed when the HC didn’t produce, etc.

Bottom line is Meyer contributed to the problem to some degree but Foley effed up repeatedly over a longer period of time and it’s going to take time to fix this problem...a problem that could have been avoided.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What does 'pro-Meyer' mean? It is what it is ... he did a incredible job then it crumbled in front of him and he left instead of sticking around to make it work. UF wasn't his dream job and he got what he wanted out of it and left. He aint our guy and he wont be hanging our our campus like Spurrier or other Gator greats.
It means you appreciate his time as Gator coach and don't hate his guts.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
It means you appreciate his time as Gator coach and don't hate his guts.

What if we appreciate some of his time as a Gator coach and don't appreciate some of his time as a Gator coach while not hating his guts?

Edit: I would even say appreciate MOST of his time while a not appreciating some of his time as a Gator.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator